View Full Version : What do I do now?

TX Archer
10-22-2011, 10:32
:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g25/TexasWahoo/550BUnboxed.jpg

Beanie-Bean
10-22-2011, 10:39
Congrats on the new 550!

Head over to Cabela's for some reloading components after it's mounted and you should be on your way.

What calibers will you be loading?

TX Archer
10-22-2011, 10:44
Thanks! But no need for Cabela's even though it's 10 minutes away. I stocked up beforehand at better prices.

I'll be loading 9mm and .40. I'll be taking it slowly. Even though I've been reading and studying for a few months, I bought Dillon's DVD and I'm about to watch that before even taking it to the bench. Should be a fun weekend.

meleors
10-22-2011, 10:58
If you really want to know, STOP NOW! Yes stop. Stop before you become addicted. Before you know it, you'll be making lots and lots of ammo. Then you'll have to shoot it all so you can reload more.
Your bookmarks will be overflowing with links to component suppliers. You'll spend your time between loading and shooting looking for deals on components.
Your credit cards will have nothing but charges to these companies with the occasional pizza delivery (no time to cook).
You'll falsely believe you're saving money as you buy more equipment. You'll build a reloading room then add a supply room followed by a "storage room for finished product!
Your wife, kids, family, friends and neighbors beg you to stop now before you spiral down into the depths! :crying:

Just Kidding! :supergrin: Welcome to the club. Be safe and have fun!

Colorado4Wheel
10-22-2011, 11:03
Thanks! But no need for Cabela's even though it's 10 minutes away. I stocked up beforehand at better prices.

I'll be loading 9mm and .40. I'll be taking it slowly. Even though I've been reading and studying for a few months, I bought Dillon's DVD and I'm about to watch that before even taking it to the bench. Should be a fun weekend.

Do yourself a favor and actually READ the instructions before you start and as you set it up. Trust me.

RustyFN
10-22-2011, 11:15
What do I do now?

Paint it red, it will be easier while it's apart. :rofl:

Congrats I'm sure you will be very happy. I love my 550.

TX Archer
10-22-2011, 11:58
Do yourself a favor and actually READ the instructions before you start and as you set it up. Trust me.

I have no doubt that's good advice. I'm nothing if not cautious in this endeavor. As I said, I've been studying for months before taking this on and I want every bit of info I can take in. I'll be going very slowly this weekend.

And thank you for your sticky. It and Zombie Steve's were a great place for me to start learning. Other than being able to watch the press being assembled and the dies adjusted, there wasn't any information on the dvd that I haven't been able to learn from y'all.

fredj338
10-22-2011, 13:02
Put it together, start by loading one round at a time. Enjoy your new addiction/hobby.

beancounter81
10-22-2011, 14:17

I second this. The instructions are very good but they are also very concise. Where some companies might devote an entire paragraph to attaching "part B" to "assembly A", Dillon may only have one sentence. It will be a well-written, accurate sentence that describes exactly what you need to do. However, if you haven't thoroughly read the directions beforehand, it is easy to miss the one concise sentence when skimming. The 550 is actually pretty easy to put together and adjust as long as you read & follow the directions.

Failing to read will result in moments of frustration. :headscratch::embarassed: Once you have it assembled and start loading, expect to lose all track of time :rock::rock::rock:You may want to have a family member remind you to eat occasionally.

GioaJack
10-22-2011, 14:24
Find a good divorce lawyer... put him on retainer.

Jack

Zombie Steve
10-22-2011, 23:32

Jack

Gentleman Jack ain't kidding. :shakehead:

ursoboostd
10-23-2011, 08:39
Now it's time to get a butler....

TX Archer
10-23-2011, 12:10
My chores and errands took longer than I expected yesterday (and I had to stop to watch my alma mater beat OU!) so I've only set up starting loads for one caliber. I took a lot of time to make sure everything was paid the proper attention, probably twice as long as it would take any other first-timer and 10 times as long as someone experienced. But it was a lot of fun and educational. The second caliber shouldn't take quite as long and should reinforce what I've learned.

jfrey
10-23-2011, 20:50
Sounds like you are starting out in the right direction. Go with one caliber first and learn the press and process. Once you have it down you can convert to another caliber and start all over again. Don't worry about time at first. Take all you need to get it right. You'll learn a few quirks as you go along, like the rest of us did but you will be happy you took the plunge and decided to make your own ammo.

Load and be happy.

shotgunred
10-23-2011, 20:56
Have a nice cold beer.
Think about upgrading to a 650.

Lou Garou
10-26-2011, 20:51

JackNow that's funny. My wife said a 550 is cheaper than a lawyer and she gets to keep the entire upstairs all to herself.