Daniel defence rail help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Daniel defence rail help

themighty9mm
10-23-2011, 02:31
So I now have 2 colt 6920's. I'm wanting 1 of 2 rails. Either the daniel defence lite fsp 12 inch or the daniel defence ris 2 12 inch fsp. They appear slightly dimensionally diferent. After many hours looking the only other difference I can find is with the ris 2 the bottom rail comes of for mounting a m203. While I wont be getting a m203 it would be nice for cleaning purposes. So does anyone have any info? Preferences? Pics of either of these specific rail? Anything I missed?

I know the omega x is slightly cheaper and while I have seen the DD torture vid I'm just not real thriller with the idea of set screws so its hardly an option for me.

Singlestack Wonder
10-23-2011, 19:50
So I now have 2 colt 6920's. I'm wanting 1 of 2 rails. Either the daniel defence lite fsp 12 inch or the daniel defence ris 2 12 inch fsp. They appear slightly dimensionally diferent. After many hours looking the only other difference I can find is with the ris 2 the bottom rail comes of for mounting a m203. While I wont be getting a m203 it would be nice for cleaning purposes. So does anyone have any info? Preferences? Pics of either of these specific rail? Anything I missed?

I know the omega x is slightly cheaper and while I have seen the DD torture vid I'm just not real thriller with the idea of set screws so its hardly an option for me.

I have all three. I prefer the RIS II and Omega-X 12FSP rails due to the ease of access to the barrel for cleaning. The RIS II and Omega-X each have some appealing characteristics. The RIS II 12 FSP is heavier and a little wider than the the Lite or Omega-X. Also, the cutout in the botton for the bayonet lug will not accept common ladder rail covers as the rail is too close to the barrel. Only a Magpul XTR or Tango Down Rail cover will work (There may be others). The rifle length RIS II will accept standard ladder rail covers.

In regards to the Omega-X, do not worry about the attachement method. It was cleaverly engineered to take advantage of mechanical leverage. I have two rifles with Omega-X rails and after several years, have not had any incidents of screws coming loose or other problems.

On another note, Midway has the Omega-X 12FSP rails on sale for $199.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/944140/daniel-defense-omega-x-120-fsp-free-float-tube-handguard-quad-rail-ar-15-extended-carbine-length-aluminum-black

themighty9mm
10-23-2011, 21:13
On the ris 2 would I be able to mount a vertical grip under the bayonet lug? Or just before it? I keep wanting to place my hand right there and wrap my tumb right behind the front sight.

BBJones
10-23-2011, 22:16
All 3 rails you listed are great. However, I prefer the Centurion C4 to all of them.

themighty9mm
10-23-2011, 22:22
All 3 rails you listed are great. However, I prefer the Centurion C4 to all of them.
I saw those. Only problem is this will be for a HD/SHTF/drills carbine. The c4 is lighter and appears more user friendly to install and places my hand where I want it, while still retaining the stronger front sight, but with the c4 no real options for a light near where my hand will be placed