Wireless printer problem... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless printer problem...

Generalcarry
10-23-2011, 11:51
Bought a wireless multi-printer last month (Canon MX420). Hooked it up to the network, and two other computers were able to find the printer (wireless) and print a test page. All was fine until about 20 minutes later when I tried to print a paper from upstairs. I kept getting a "printer offline" message. If I went downstairs and tapped the on button and ran upstairs, it would then print.
When the printer sleeps(?) it's offline to the 2 wireless computers.
I've deleted the printer software, unplugged/rebooted everything and all the printers print, until the printer sleeps after 5 minutes.
Any ideas?

Pierre!
10-23-2011, 13:06
Must be a way to adjust the 'sleep' time... I would start there...

Advanced Printing features - I usually run with this OFF for all printers. Seems to make them more reliable.

It especially helps when you have Win32 and Win64 systems mixed in.

Hope that helps...

Patrick

gemeinschaft
10-23-2011, 16:38
To add to Pierre's post, I have had better luck with wireless printing when I assign a static IP to the printer on the LAN.

On any computer printing to it, I install the printer by IP address.

I hope that helps.

Generalcarry
10-24-2011, 07:59
Thanks for the advice. I searched high and low for days looking for sleep adjustments to no avail. The Advanced printing made sense because I have 2 win 7 and an xp on the network. The IP address seemed like a good idea and when I went to Printers & faxes on the xp to see if the printer IP address was available there, I noticed "share the printer" box was not checked. I checked it, re-installed on both wireless and now it works on everything.
Thank you both.

fgutie35
10-24-2011, 08:07
Thanks for the advice. I searched high and low for days looking for sleep adjustments to no avail. The Advanced printing made sense because I have 2 win 7 and an xp on the network. The IP address seemed like a good idea and when I went to Printers & faxes on the xp to see if the printer IP address was available there, I noticed "share the printer" box was not checked. I checked it, re-installed on both wireless and now it works on everything.
Thank you both.

So now you are using a PC as a print server? Or did you did this to ALL PC's. If you did, you may be looking at a future problem. Usually wireless printers have a way to print a "network configuration" page. Most are done by pressing the GO button for more than three seconds. Once you have the dynamic IP that your router assigned to the printer, then you can access it thru an internet browser and change settings.

Generalcarry
10-24-2011, 08:34
So now you are using a PC as a print server? Or did you did this to ALL PC's. If you did, you may be looking at a future problem. Usually wireless printers have a way to print a "network configuration" page. Most are done by pressing the GO button for more than three seconds. Once you have the dynamic IP that your router assigned to the printer, then you can access it thru an internet browser and change settings.

You obviousy know more about this than I, but I think I'm using a pc as a print server. I say this because on the other 2 computers I selected "my hp printer" and the hp is the xp computer the printer is wired to. I did find my printers IP address listed on my router.
What I don't understand is the "future problem" comment. Is access through a internet browser a bad thing??

fgutie35
10-24-2011, 09:18
You obviousy know more about this than I, but I think I'm using a pc as a print server. I say this because on the other 2 computers I selected "my hp printer" and the hp is the xp computer the printer is wired to. I did find my printers IP address listed on my router.
What I don't understand is the "future problem" comment. Is access through a internet browser a bad thing??

The future printer problem could be, but not limited to: printer server (PC) being off or printer spooler service not running when few resources (RAM memory) are available. Another problem could be data conflict (print job) when more than one PC is being used as a printer server. If you already know the IP, then you can just type the IP address on your internet browser and manage your printer from there. Whether you give it a "static IP" or not, make sure you configure all the PC's to recognize the "Host Name" rather than the IP. That way if you are running dynamic IP, you will still be able to print, even if its IP changes once the lease expires.

gemeinschaft
10-24-2011, 09:37
The future printer problem could be, but not limited to: printer server (PC) being off or printer spooler service not running when few resources (RAM memory) are available. Another problem could be data conflict (print job) when more than one PC is being used as a printer server. If you already know the IP, then you can just type the IP address on your internet browser and manage your printer from there. Whether you give it a "static IP" or not, make sure you configure all the PC's to recognize the "Host Name" rather than the IP. That way if you are running dynamic IP, you will still be able to print, even if its IP changes once the lease expires.

This is where I have a different opinion. If you hard code the IP of the printer, through the printer GUI, you should always know where you Printer is.

I like to put my printer on the high end of the IP range so I know that the IP will not accidentally be handed out to another device.

Then, all computers are installed with an IP Port for printing. Even if DNS fails, I can still print.

On consumer grade routers, I have had issues with DNS failing requiring a reboot of the router. Hardcoded IPs are the way to go as long as you are not always making changes, etc...

My network is set up as Gateway = 10.0.0.254

DHCP Range 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.199
Printer 10.0.0.200
NAS 10.0.0.249

gemeinschaft
10-24-2011, 09:39
Forgot to add that the issues pointed out above about using a PC as a Print Server are absolutely spot on.

If the PC is off or otherwise having issues, printing fails from all sources, because that PC is a single point of failure.

This is why I prefer to have all computers print to IP and no local connection to the printer at all.

Depending on the type of printer that you have, you may/may not be able to accomplish this.

Does the printer have a Network Cable connection on it (JetDirect Card)?

Generalcarry
10-25-2011, 05:10
So I'd have to go into my router (Netgear WNDR3700) and name the IP as "Canon", or such, then find the place in the router (attachments?) where I would change the printer settings so the printer is at the top of the DHCP Range.
Does that mean hooking my printer only to the modem as an attachment? Next, re-program all computers to attach to "Canon IP" instead of the hp computer.
If I'm not making any sense, I'm happy knowing that the computer is the server and I can change it if desired. It's funny how the brain works. If I say what I typed aloud, it was all common sense.

gemeinschaft
11-02-2011, 05:43
So I'd have to go into my router (Netgear WNDR3700) and name the IP as "Canon", or such, then find the place in the router (attachments?) where I would change the printer settings so the printer is at the top of the DHCP Range.
Does that mean hooking my printer only to the modem as an attachment? Next, re-program all computers to attach to "Canon IP" instead of the hp computer.
If I'm not making any sense, I'm happy knowing that the computer is the server and I can change it if desired. It's funny how the brain works. If I say what I typed aloud, it was all common sense.

Could you tell me what model of printer you have? In order for you to print directly to the printer, the printer itself needs to be network capable.

For instance, I have an HP LJ2430N and it is hardwired to my Local Area Network (LAN).

When you login into the management console of your router, you should see a place for "Devices" and be able to hardcode some static IP addresses. This way, the router always gives them the same IP address.

JimmyN
11-02-2011, 09:14
It's a little confusing as to how you have it hooked up, so let's figure out what you have done so far. It appears you have it connected to the LAN as a network printer, but also have it connected to the XP system as a wired printer, and then you've set the XP to share the printer on the network as well.

You have a Canon MX420, and the specs I looked at show it has both wired and wireless network capability. You say you "hooked it up" to the network. Does "hooked it up" mean you ran an Ethernet cable from the printer to the router, or does it mean you went into printer setup and entered the wireless password so it would connect through wireless?

You stated that the printers IP shows up in the router, and that two computers with wireless connections were able to print to it. That would indicate that the printer is connected to the LAN via the router, be it wired or wireless.

But in a following post you say "the hp is the xp computer the printer is wired to", which would imply that the Canon printer is also connected to the XP with a USB cable. If you're using it as a network printer then there would be no need for a cable from the printer to the XP, or if you are using it as a shared printer from the XP system there would be no need for an ethernet connection from the printer to the router, wired or wireless.

It appears to me that you are using it as a network printer, and also as a shared printer, connected to the XP system, all on the same network. If this is true that's probably not the best setup.

Generalcarry
11-17-2011, 16:54
It's a little confusing as to how you have it hooked up, so let's figure out what you have done so far. It appears you have it connected to the LAN as a network printer, but also have it connected to the XP system as a wired printer, and then you've set the XP to share the printer on the network as well.

You have a Canon MX420, and the specs I looked at show it has both wired and wireless network capability. You say you "hooked it up" to the network. Does "hooked it up" mean you ran an Ethernet cable from the printer to the router, or does it mean you went into printer setup and entered the wireless password so it would connect through wireless?

You stated that the printers IP shows up in the router, and that two computers with wireless connections were able to print to it. That would indicate that the printer is connected to the LAN via the router, be it wired or wireless.

But in a following post you say "the hp is the xp computer the printer is wired to", which would imply that the Canon printer is also connected to the XP with a USB cable. If you're using it as a network printer then there would be no need for a cable from the printer to the XP, or if you are using it as a shared printer from the XP system there would be no need for an ethernet connection from the printer to the router, wired or wireless.

It appears to me that you are using it as a network printer, and also as a shared printer, connected to the XP system, all on the same network. If this is true that's probably not the best setup.

I thought I had posted what turned out to be the problem, but obviously not.
I DIDN'T check the share box on the XP. All those hours spent for nothing. :embarassed::embarassed::embarassed:.