Shot shell hull's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shot shell hull's

norton
10-23-2011, 18:47
Since I just got a Mec 12 gauge press, I only have about 70 empty shot shell hulls. I threw away a trash bag full of hulls a few years ago. Wasn't going to need them:upeyes:
Anyway now I need more. Does it make sense to buy new shells and then collect them once fired or can I get once fired hulls at a decent price from somewhere? And from whom? Or is it who?

michael e
10-23-2011, 18:50
I have bags full of them from friends . Not sure how you local range is, but the few around here that let you shoot skeet or clays do not care if you take all they have. If thats an option I would do that.

freakshow10mm
10-23-2011, 19:08
Check with Grafs.

shotgunred
10-23-2011, 19:51
I would send you a box full if you pay shipping.

freakshow10mm
10-23-2011, 20:55
Sorry my response was short earlier. Had to type with the baby in my arms and it wasn't working out. :)

Major reloading suppliers will have fired hulls in stock. Grafs, maybe Wideners, Gamaliel, etc.

Check with local gun clubs or clays ranges. They usually collect and sell the hulls.

Or generous gentlemen like shotgunred. :)

And Norton, I know what you mean by "I'll never need these". I've learned and have become a horder. I have held onto a single piece of 6.8 SPC brass for over 2 years. One day I'll get an AR upper for it and load it. Never throw anything out, it's all worth something. Whether brass at scrap prices or forum prices, stuff is always worth something.

Old Style
10-24-2011, 19:30
These are good people to deal with.

http://www.recobstargetshop.com

Three-Five-Seven
10-24-2011, 22:33
Sources for good quality, once fired shotgun shells are uncommon and usually out of stock. So, that's a possibility but not likely solution.

Buy shells, watch for sales, W-W and Rem have had significant rebate promotions the last two years, keep an eye out.

utah
10-25-2011, 12:56
Not sure if you’re aware of this or not…shotgun loading is different than metallic loading. In that you need to match all the components...”X” hull with “X” wad for “X” shot charge. You shouldn’t use a Winchester hull with a wad for Remington and vise versa.

Batesmotel
10-25-2011, 13:02
One of my local trap and skeet ranges lets me get them out of the garbage cans on the range if I ask first. I could get thousands on a good weekend if I wanted them. Not everyone reloads. Not every range sells empties.

Batesmotel
10-25-2011, 13:05
I have held onto a single piece of 6.8 SPC brass for over 2 years. One day I'll get an AR upper for it and load it.

:rofl:

You don't know just how many guns I got that way. Right now I am looking for a 250 Savage for the rounds I have.

freakshow10mm
10-25-2011, 13:14
Nice. I'd love to get a 250 Savage. I've got four pieces of brass for that. :)

nitesite10mm
10-25-2011, 13:51
If you can get an early start by focusing on getting only one brand of hull, get Remington.

Their Premier STS, Premier Nitro, and Premier Target series and budget (black) hulls marketed as Game Loads and Sport Loads all use exactly the same load data and wads. They are the best out there as far as life expectancy and having one-piece bases and their primer pockets stay tight until the hull has to be retired.

The old Win AA hulls were exceptionally good but Winchester now manufactures AA hulls as two-piece bases rather than one. They work, but they don't have the life expectacy of a one-piece base and can actually separate on firing.

GLShooter
10-31-2011, 18:37
I have bought large quantities of hulls from my local commercial skeet ranges. They are usually very generous. I was buying a clay pigeon box full of AA's for $5.00.

Greg

byf43
11-03-2011, 12:15
If you can get an early start by focusing on getting only one brand of hull, get Remington.

Their Premier STS, Premier Nitro, and Premier Target series and budget (black) hulls marketed as Game Loads and Sport Loads all use exactly the same load data and wads. They are the best out there as far as life expectancy and having one-piece bases and their primer pockets stay tight until the hull has to be retired.

The old Win AA hulls were exceptionally good but Winchester now manufactures AA hulls as two-piece bases rather than one. They work, but they don't have the life expectacy of a one-piece base and can actually separate on firing.

Agreed.

If you can get your hands on the old "Blue Peters" shells, they are/were the absolute best shotshells to load.
I've heard that the STS and Game Loads are just as good.