One in the Chamber [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : One in the Chamber

longrange24
10-23-2011, 19:21
Im combat i would CC my 92fs at the 12 O'clock with one in the chamber. Just two months ago i started looking for a CC gun of my own and decided to go with the G26 Gen4. Im a little hesitant to carry with one in the chamber. Its not that im scared or anything but i just want to be safe. do you CC your glock with one in the chamber? Mine would be in a High Noon holster. I am really efficient with weapons in general and Im always safe.

debbert
10-23-2011, 19:25
If you don't trust your weapon, or the way you handle it, you shouldn't be carrying. As long as you're doing it right, there is no reason to not carry with one in the chamber.

GunWhore
10-23-2011, 19:27
Does a bear ___ in the woods?:rofl:

Yup, in a mic holster at 12/1 or in don Hume iwb at 4/5.

Glockworks
10-23-2011, 19:35
Up until a few months ago when I carried my G26 CC, I did not have a round in the chamber. I sometimes carried my Taurus .357 snub and of course the equivalent was chambered. I decided after some thought to also carry my G26 and G19 chambered when I do carry them. I do not ever go into obviously bad situations, but sometimes I think they can/could come to me and the time lost could be deadly to myself or other innocents. I also saw and read on the safety of carrying a round chambered in a Glock and I think it is a wise move in MY CASE. I have no children ever around me so it works easily for myself.

longrange24
10-23-2011, 19:41
If you don't trust your weapon, or the way you handle it, you shouldn't be carrying. As long as you're doing it right, there is no reason to not carry with one in the chamber.

Its not that i dont trust the weapon, but more that I have grown up in an army where ignorant ppl dont want us to carry with one in the chamber while we are deployed (i understand thats not everyones experience). I also understand that their is a reason why the army is so strict with that. its a way of controling an entire group of ppl because they know that we have some idiots within our ranks. So my entire military carrier i have been told that one in the chamber is unsafe unless im outside " the wire". By no means was i ever a "fotit" but when ever we went to a camp to get chow or take a shower then they made us all unload our weapons. I think its more of a mental block than a trust issue with my weapon. I completely trust my g26 but i know i will have to push that stupid mental block that the army gave me out of my head. i just wanted to know if other ppl CC with one in the chamber.

nastytrigger
10-23-2011, 19:43
I've had a round in the chamber, in a gun, since 1998. One less thing to worry about if I need to use a gun in a fight. As Clint Smith said, "Always cheat. Always win."

Right now, my G19, Springer 1911, and Mossberg 590 are chambered and ready to go.

r3dot
10-23-2011, 19:45
I carry 2 in the chamber.

Deaf Smith
10-23-2011, 19:48
Several advantages for chamber carry plus a few disadvantages.

1) Simplicity. No need to add another step to get the weapon in action.

2) Immediate first shot in the shortest time period, especially from retention position (that is grabbing distance.)

3) No need for two hands to chamber. You may have one hand hurt or busy and not be able to use two hands. Grappling with an attacker also makes chambering with two hands rather tough. Opponent may slam you to the ground, or grab the weapon, or just punch you while you try to chamber a round.

4) When under pressure you might short stroke the action and jam the weapon.

The downside is that if you forget the gun is loaded you can pull the trigger and have a AD/ND (but then, just KYFFOTFT till the weapon is on target.) Yes there are AD/NDs every year. No doubt many have their weapons chamber loaded, but then many are ‘cleaning’ their weapons and well, who knows what state their weapons was really in.

Now chamber empty (C3) has a few advantages.

1) A gun snatch will give you a few seconds for the BG to react (you hope) to get the weapon back.

2) If you have kids, and the slide is hard to rack, it's less chancy of they get the gun somehow (but then I feel you should just pick the gun up, ok.)

3) If your gun is not drop safe, then chamber empty is the best way to carry.

4) No safe way to carry the weapon (lack of holster, poor holster, etc..)

5) If you tend to take your gun out and play with it instead of keeping it holstered then C3 might be a better way to carry. (not kidding, there are people that do mess with their weapons like that.)

Overall, chamber empty is an inferior technique for most people. There are some where it serves a purpose like having the weapon hidden around the house and you have time to chamber a round, but for most, chamber loaded is the better technique for a defensive handgun.

Now why is C3 inferior? Because of the extra steps one has to take that mostly require two hands under very stressful conditions. Kind of like the technique of fanning a SA revolver in that it pretty much requires two hands and done fast.

Is chamber empty safer to carry? Not if you keep the weapon in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard and has adequate retention (in case of a fall or such) and don/doff with the weapon in the holster. That way the trigger cannot be pulled in any way.

Deaf

OctoberRust
10-23-2011, 20:01
Im combat i would CC my 92fs at the 12 O'clock with one in the chamber. Just two months ago i started looking for a CC gun of my own and decided to go with the G26 Gen4. Im a little hesitant to carry with one in the chamber. Its not that im scared or anything but i just want to be safe. do you CC your glock with one in the chamber? Mine would be in a High Noon holster. I am really efficient with weapons in general and Im always safe.

MTAC here. Yes one in the chamber. When I first started carrying a few years back I was hesitant for the first couple weeks. Then I realized the disadvantage I was putting myself in and always carry one in the chamber.

mrsurfboard
10-23-2011, 20:23
If you don't feel comfortable carrying one in the chamber then you shouldn't be carrying at all.

GunWhore
10-23-2011, 20:28

Nice!:rofl:

mj9mm
10-23-2011, 20:38
why did you have to carry concealed? was that normal procedure? it's a pretty big gun for concealment. just curious:dunno:

DaneA
10-23-2011, 20:43
It is definitely a personal matter and you should do what you are comfortable with. I carried for a while without one in the chamber until I saw the video of the guy at the Dayton, Oh gas station. I thought about that incident for a while and decided that if I was in that situation while carrying c3 that it might not end well. So I put one in the chamber and have carried that way since. My wife on the other hand is more comfortable carrying c3 and that's fine with me as well.
Do what you feel is going to work for you. Sounds like the Army drilled in c3 while at "home" and c1 while out and about. Consider that you are always out and about now unless you have razor wire and guards posted outside your house to keep you safe while at home.

engineer151515
10-23-2011, 20:44
<<<< Had to pull once on an empty chamber and rack.

That won't happen again.

janice6
10-23-2011, 21:18
I have two rules for my carry pistol. One is to always carry one in the chamber. Two is to never "play with/fondle" the pistol.

The second rule for me, means no unnecessary handling of a loaded pistol unless it is going to function as intended.

No messing around, less chance of AD/ND. Worked for me for 7 years, carrying all my waking hours, everywhere.

What you do with yours is up to you.

ADK_40GLKr
10-23-2011, 21:20

12 ga side-by-side?

mrsurfboard
10-23-2011, 21:32
I have two rules for my carry pistol. One is to always carry one in the chamber. Two is to never "play with/fondle" the pistol.

The second rule for me, means no unnecessary handling of a loaded pistol unless it is going to function as intended.

No messing around, less chance of AD/ND. Worked for me for 7 years, carrying all my waking hours, everywhere.

What you do with yours is up to you.

#2 should apply to all guns, loaded or not.

NMPOPS
10-23-2011, 22:09
Empty chamber is just a paperwait. If you remember "All guns are always loaded" and trat your gun so you have no problem. Glocks are as safe to carry with one up the spout as any.

Sent from my Ally

longrange24
10-23-2011, 22:28
why did you have to carry concealed? was that normal procedure? it's a pretty big gun for concealment. just curious:dunno:

No its not normal to CC in combat but it was my choice to CC at the 12 O'clock. I would carry my 92 under my IBA in my belt. i just felt better that way. most soldiers carry the 92 in a drop holster by safariland, etc. it is a big gun for CC but its all we had (didnt have a choice in the matter). i do feel good CC with one in the chamber but i think i just need to get use to it. i respect weapons and always treat them as if loaded, so thats not a problem at all. just need to take all the bad habbits the military gave me and wash them out of my brian. its ironic that some ppl in the military are scared of guns and think that if you have one in the chamber that the weapon will for no reason fire on its own. I see that more and more liberals that just want a job join the military, then when they get up in rank they make rules just because they suck with weapons and fail to understand how the weapon works. Dont get me wrong Im all for support of our troops but having first hand expierance i can say the military has changed allot in the last 10 years.

Lior
10-24-2011, 02:46
As a "one in the chamber" neophyte, I just take extra care in administrative handling of my EDC - keeping it holstered in the safe and generally minimizing the trigger's light of day if there is a round in the chamber. The nervousness passes, but the safe habits stay.

Boot Stomper
10-24-2011, 02:57
I always carry with a round in the chamber.

Get a good, safe holster and train as much as you can afford. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and do not point the gun at anything you do not want destroyed.

Radam3
10-24-2011, 03:49
Always. Just look at it this way; you and bad guy both draw at the same time, bad guy has one in the chamber, you don't. Bad guy wins, you lose. Always have one in the pipe, and don't be an idiot about it. Know it is in there, and always handle it as it is there.

FoMoCowboy
10-24-2011, 04:32
I dont. Racking a slide is in itself an intimidating thing. And I've definately heard more negligent discharge stories due to having a chambered round than "Man, all of a sudden a dozen ninjas came out of NOWHERE and I couldnt have possibly had time to rack my slide" stories. Usually you know when something is going to go bad, and having to rack that slide gives you that extra second to assess the situation....... if you shoot someone, even if you have every legal right to do so, its still a pain in the ass. No reason to make a hasty decision if you ask me. I got nothing bad to say about guys that do carry with one in the chamber, after all, its not me that will have to deal with the media when my gun went off while I was pulling my pants up after takin a dump at mcdonalds (thats the last AD story I heard about some poor fool carrying with one in the chamber)

HerrGlock
10-24-2011, 06:25
If you prefer to carry without a round in the chamber, perhaps you'd be better suited with another brand of firearm to carry.

X-Concealment
10-24-2011, 07:55
If carrying just for moral support, it really doesn't matter, chamber or no chamber. If you are carrying for protection, then yes, definitely one in the chamber and as many as you can in the magazine!

Steve50
10-24-2011, 08:20
One in the chamber and trigger protected.

BailRecoveryAgent
10-24-2011, 08:34
Chambered always. Guns don't go off by "accident". There are only two types of discharges concerning firearms, purposeful discharges meaning you aimed at something and intentionally pulled the trigger and it went bang, or negligent discharges meaning you brain farted and had your finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been there, or you let something get inside the trigger guard causing the gun to go off. Either way, its negligence.

If you're proficient and familar with safe firearm handling, I don't see a reason to not carry a round chambered. But again YMMV.

IndyGunFreak
10-24-2011, 08:59
If this was gonna be an issue (and I can't imagine you didn't think it would be when you bought it).. Why didn't you just get a different model firearm w/ a safety? There's plenty of quality firearms out there that have safeties. Springfield XD's immediately come to mind (I like them)

IGF

bruzer
10-24-2011, 09:13
Carry one in the chamber and always in a good holster. The only way my gun can fire is if the trigger is pulled. So simple is scares some people. I am a simple person so it simply works for me. K.I.S.S.
Mike

ThinkMud
10-24-2011, 09:32
I always chamber a round b4 I leave the house, iwb MTAC holsters.

When I'm home I unchamber what ever I'm carrying. I have kids and sit at the computer all day so my carry gun gets put in a cabinet in reach from my chair. Not sure if that is best solution but it's what I do and I never leave the house without one in the chamber in whatever gun I'm carrying(mostly a 27)

ThinkMud
10-24-2011, 09:33

Lol that made my day!!

tonyparson
10-24-2011, 11:22
Carry one in the chamber and always in a good holster. The only way my gun can fire is if the trigger is pulled. So simple is scares some people. I am a simple person so it simply works for me. K.I.S.S.
Mike

This /\/\/\

mj9mm
10-24-2011, 17:51
No its not normal to CC in combat but it was my choice to CC at the 12 O'clock. I would carry my 92 under my IBA in my belt. i just felt better that way. most soldiers carry the 92 in a drop holster by safariland, etc. it is a big gun for CC but its all we had (didnt have a choice in the matter). i do feel good CC with one in the chamber but i think i just need to get use to it. i respect weapons and always treat them as if loaded, so thats not a problem at all. just need to take all the bad habbits the military gave me and wash them out of my brian. its ironic that some ppl in the military are scared of guns and think that if you have one in the chamber that the weapon will for no reason fire on its own. I see that more and more liberals that just want a job join the military, then when they get up in rank they make rules just because they suck with weapons and fail to understand how the weapon works. Dont get me wrong Im all for support of our troops but having first hand expierance i can say the military has changed allot in the last 10 years.
First, thanks for your service, we need more like you, i like your answers to my curious questions. just thought cc in action sounded like something i didn't expect, i'm sure things are done for survival reasons. thanks again for your answer:wavey:

gunowner1
10-24-2011, 18:19
I dont. Racking a slide is in itself an intimidating thing. And I've definately heard more negligent discharge stories due to having a chambered round than "Man, all of a sudden a dozen ninjas came out of NOWHERE and I couldnt have possibly had time to rack my slide" stories. Usually you know when something is going to go bad, and having to rack that slide gives you that extra second to assess the situation....... if you shoot someone, even if you have every legal right to do so, its still a pain in the ass. No reason to make a hasty decision if you ask me. I got nothing bad to say about guys that do carry with one in the chamber, after all, its not me that will have to deal with the media when my gun went off while I was pulling my pants up after takin a dump at mcdonalds (thats the last AD story I heard about some poor fool carrying with one in the chamber)

Oh come on. If you have an AD while doing your pants your an idiot. I could throw my Glock across the room and it will not fire. Finger off the trigger till ready to fire.If someone is so scared not to carry with one in the chamber they shouldn't carry.

FLglockdude
10-24-2011, 18:58
I have an M&P compact on my side right now with a round in the chamber. It is perfectly safe because it is in a good holster that completely covers the trigger guard.

Anybody that is afraid to carry with a round chambered has a lack of confidence in themselves and their weapon.

gunowner1
10-24-2011, 19:03
I have an M&P compact on my side right now with a round in the chamber. It is perfectly safe because it is in a good holster that completely covers the trigger guard.

Anybody that is afraid to carry with a round chambered has a lack of confidence in themselves and their weapon.

Exactly. Carrying a gun without one in the chamber would be like carrying a dull knife cause your scared you might cut yourself with a sharp knife.

jellis11
10-24-2011, 19:15
Always +1. g26 iwb

FoMoCowboy
10-25-2011, 01:08
Oh come on. If you have an AD while doing your pants your an idiot. I could throw my Glock across the room and it will not fire. Finger off the trigger till ready to fire.If someone is so scared not to carry with one in the chamber they shouldn't carry.

So one can ONLY carry a glock? there are PLENTY of firearms out there without all the safeties that a glock has, think about a revolvers before the firing pins were in the frame? I'm really not going to say its a BAD IDEA to carry one chambered, nor am I scared to, I have been known to carry with one in the chamber, but I mostly don't for alot of reasons.

jellis11
10-25-2011, 07:30
I know a few people worried to carry their Glock. I have some XD's and I think those would be a great reliable carry option. Trigger plus the addition of the grip. Maybe that little extra touch some people feel they need.

SouthernBoyVA
10-25-2011, 07:34
There is a simple way to look at carrying in Condition 3. The carrier will either suffer the consequence of his actions or not. If he chooses to carry with an empty chamber and has an extreme encounter in which he must use his firearm, he will quickly find out if his choice was correct or a very costly mistake. And since this is a very personal choice he will know, should he survive, whether or not to continue in this vein.

poodleplumber
10-25-2011, 08:06
I'm not sure I fully understand why these threads, common as they are, always have to degenerate to name-calling and questioning other people's physical and mental competence just because they do something different than the norm.

While there certainly are advantages to carrying with a round chambered, there is also a lot to be said for being safety minded. If it takes a period of chamber empty carry for a person to gain confidence in his firearm, holster, and handling technique before starting to carry chamber loaded, I have no problem at all with that.

As far as speed of presentation, and the assertion that a handgun without a round chambered is no more useful than (pick one) a rock, a club, or a pistol left at home, there are quite a few carry methods - ankle holsters, tucked-shirt holsters, fanny packs, belly bands, and Smart Carry all come to mind in this category - that for most people delay the draw more than racking a slide. And a lot of those take two hands, too. Yet none of those methods of carry receive the same level of criticism (crossing the line into ridicule in some cases) as chamber-empty carry.

Chambered carry is the most efficient way to carry a sidearm and is completely safe with Glocks as with most modern designs, and should therefore be the goal of training and experience with CCW. But getting there gradually is not foolhardy, IMO. Harshly criticizing and ridiculing people during their learning process helps no one. None of us was born with twenty years of CCW experience.

SouthernBoyVA
10-25-2011, 09:56
I'm not sure I fully understand why these threads, common as they are, always have to degenerate to name-calling and questioning other people's physical and mental competence just because they do something different than the norm.

While there certainly are advantages to carrying with a round chambered, there is also a lot to be said for being safety minded. If it takes a period of chamber empty carry for a person to gain confidence in his firearm, holster, and handling technique before starting to carry chamber loaded, I have no problem at all with that.

As far as speed of presentation, and the assertion that a handgun without a round chambered is no more useful than (pick one) a rock, a club, or a pistol left at home, there are quite a few carry methods - ankle holsters, tucked-shirt holsters, fanny packs, belly bands, and Smart Carry all come to mind in this category - that for most people delay the draw more than racking a slide. And a lot of those take two hands, too. Yet none of those methods of carry receive the same level of criticism (crossing the line into ridicule in some cases) as chamber-empty carry.

Chambered carry is the most efficient way to carry a sidearm and is completely safe with Glocks as with most modern designs, and should therefore be the goal of training and experience with CCW. But getting there gradually is not foolhardy, IMO. Harshly criticizing and ridiculing people during their learning process helps no one. None of us was born with twenty years of CCW experience.

I couldn't agree more with this. Unfortunately, resorting to less than civil behavior has become the norm on so many websites, it leaves one wondering if perhaps the reason is we have a bunch of Walter Mittys banging away at their keyboards, tempting challenging responses from the pack. Name calling, caustic comments, nasty remarks.... all probably tend to fall into what my brother use to say about people who use excess profanity.

"Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind trying to express itself forceably."

ThinkMud
10-25-2011, 10:10
Those are some good points to bring up.

Honestly, it took me over a year before I started carrying with one in the chamber. I didn't feel comfortable with it at first, like many people I'm sure.

I don't knock anyone for not carrying with one in the chamber, or how they carry, as long as they carry.

There is a police officer in one of my local Jeep clubs that said he never carries one in the chamber off duty so he would have that extra step to really think about what he was doing if he had to draw on someone. So I do agree there are both pros and cons for each.

So let people carry how they want, as long as they carry!

Glockbuster
10-25-2011, 13:02

WELL SAID!!

That and statements like "if you don't feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber you should not be carrying at all" could not be more out of place.

What is so wrong about carrying unchambered if a particular set of needs and circumstances place it as the preferred method of choice ? there is certainly a place for C3 carry in CCW and this cannot be disputed.

I carry C1 chambered in my Fobus paddle because I see no danger in it, but if I carry IWB or fannypack I always go C3. I am not a novice and have been carrying for 30 years with no ND's and feel perfectly comfortable with either method depending on how my Glock is carried.

kimber6
10-25-2011, 19:53
Always

twisty
10-25-2011, 20:35
I've been law enforcement for several years. I carried before that and every time I had a round chambered and the mag topped off. All of my training dictates that you will be duty carry with a round in the chamber and a FULL magazine. I see no other reason to deviate from this practice. If you have the weapon in a good holster that keeps the trigger from snagging on anything and you handle the weapon properly it should be a none issue.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-25-2011, 20:44
Break your wrist and then see if you can draw and rack in real time. I broke mine and then took an injured shooter class. Great planning on my part - sign up for class and then fall down and go BOOM.

That convinced me that in a fight - you can lose use of a hand and that the techniques for one hand manipulation and racking which I can do - I don't want to voluntarily make part of the equation.

Also, there is a significant chance you will forget to rack. Did that once in a match. Load and make ready - forgot to rack - DUH :faint:

Pulled the trigger - wasn't cocked (Glock) - OY VEY! So I rack as I know what to do with a malfunction as the clock ticked and screwed me over.

DWARREN123
10-25-2011, 20:58
I can not see carrying without one in the chamber.
Lately I have been having trouble with carpel tunnel and would possibly not be able to rack a slide properly or in a timely manner. :supergrin:

dooga
10-25-2011, 21:19
Two things I learned from this thread: until you stop playing with your gun, no round in the chamber. Once you grow up and leave it holstered all the time, a round in the chamber.

nastytrigger
10-26-2011, 08:31
Two things I learned from this thread: until you stop playing with your gun, no round in the chamber. Once you grow up and leave it holstered all the time, a round in the chamber.

I'm a step ahead of that... I don't holster anymore. I have my nightstand pistol out. I'm not fussing with a holster in the middle of the night.

Plus, when I get home from carrying, I set my gun out to let the holster dry if it's gotten wet/sweaty.

BassBait
10-26-2011, 09:17
For me is always one in the chamber CC at 1 o'clock on a regular nylon holster and some times no holster, my rotation CCW are: PX4 SC / G19 Gen4 / G26 Gen4 /PX4 Full size

with the Glock's is a matter of getting used to it... you will feel more confortable the more you carry that way..

Sippo
10-26-2011, 11:31

No guarantee you'll have your finger off the trigger when you rack the slide either (makes for a possible negligent discharge) . Imagine remembering to keep your finger straight and out of the trigger guard under extreme stress before you get your sights up to your intended target. And suppose you don't want your intended target to know what you intend to do; that racking sound could be a problem, too.
Just some thoughts to consider.

eb31
10-26-2011, 11:43
As a "one in the chamber" neophyte, I just take extra care in administrative handling of my EDC - keeping it holstered in the safe and generally minimizing the trigger's light of day if there is a round in the chamber. The nervousness passes, but the safe habits stay.

+1 and well said sir.

Warp
10-26-2011, 11:45
I always keep handguns chambered. That is what holsters are for.

OmegaRunner
10-26-2011, 11:54
I carry with two in the chamber just to be sure.

dosei
10-26-2011, 11:55
Several advantages for chamber carry plus a few disadvantages.

3) No need for two hands to chamber. You may have one hand hurt or busy and not be able to use two hands. Grappling with an attacker also makes chambering with two hands rather tough. Opponent may slam you to the ground, or grab the weapon, or just punch you while you try to chamber a round.

I see this myth so often...
:faint:
Come on people...no matter what condition you carry in you should be able to do one-hand manipulation drills. Which means you should be well aware of ways to rack the slide without using two hands. While I do not recommend one-handed racking as the primary method (for those that opt to carry chamber empty), it should be well-practiced and easily executed when needed (even by those of use that do not carry chamber empty). I carry C1, yet I am still familiar with various one-hand manipulation drills. So...since I know that it is possible to draw with one hand...and I know that it is possible to rack the slide with one hand...I thus know that it is possible to draw and rack the slide with one hand.

So, by combining simple elements that should be learned by anyone who carries an auto-loading handgun for self-defence (one-handed draw and one-handed slide manipulation) we get this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k
No "fine motor skills" required either.

Nakanokalronin
10-26-2011, 12:11
I see this myth so often...
:faint:
Come on people...no matter what condition you carry in you should be able to do one-hand manipulation drills. Which means you should be well aware of ways to rack the slide without using two hands. While I do not recommend one-handed racking as the primary method (for those that opt to carry chamber empty), it should be well-practiced and easily executed when needed (even by those of use that do not carry chamber empty). I carry C1, yet I am still familiar with various one-hand manipulation drills. So...since I know that it is possible to draw with one hand...and I know that it is possible to rack the slide with one hand...I thus know that it is possible to draw and rack the slide with one hand.

So, by combining simple elements that should be learned by anyone who carries an auto-loading handgun for self-defence (one-handed draw and one-handed slide manipulation) we get this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k
No "fine motor skills" required either.

I agree with your post, except the part saying its a myth. Carrying chambered means I don't need to cycle my slide to get the first shot off.

Not all situations will allow someone to rack one handed weather it be a belt,shoe,ledge... you name it. Learning to rack a handgun one handed is a good skill to know which I totally agree with, relying on it for the first shot isn't the best way to be prepared which is why the previous poster put carrying chambered is an advantage.

Gunnut 45/454
10-26-2011, 13:20
longrange24
Time to unlearn some of the bad habits you learned in the Army! So when would you feel "your out side the wire " in a cilvilan situation? Can you tell who is about to do you or your loved ones harm and when? The simple answer is no. So one must be out side the wire mentally ALWAYS! There's your answer! Be perpared. Carry one in the chamber!:supergrin:

FoMoCowboy
10-28-2011, 00:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_AvovQQFmU&list=HL1319780869&feature=mh_lolz

Another one of those "Ooops, I had one in the pipe and the gun went off" scenarios..... No, I dont believe this guy was "Barely touching the gun, with my finger NOWHERE NEAR the trigger" Either. But I still bet his scoreboard is "Accidental discharge-1 Rushed by a pack of ninjas out of nowhere-0"

It should also be noted he damn near put a bullet in his wife according to the video..... So no, I agree with you guys this guy didnt know how to handle a gun, because I know thats what the response is going to be. But bottom line is, this wouldnt have happened if there was no round in the chamber

Warp
10-28-2011, 00:36

Another one of those "Ooops, I had one in the pipe and the gun went off" scenarios..... No, I dont believe this guy was "Barely touching the gun, with my finger NOWHERE NEAR the trigger" Either. But I still bet his scoreboard is "Accidental discharge-1 Rushed by a pack of ninjas out of nowhere-0"

It should also be noted he damn near put a bullet in his wife according to the video..... So no, I agree with you guys this guy didnt know how to handle a gun, because I know thats what the response is going to be. But bottom line is, this wouldnt have happened if there was no round in the chamber

Good thing I know to keep my finger off the trigger, isn't it?

If you don't then by all means, keep that chamber empty

JuneyBooney
10-28-2011, 00:41

Change to a NY1 or carry Israeli style. Or carry a revolver with one on the chamber. You may not know it but in the wild west there were some that did not carry one in the chamber. Good luck and always practice safe carry and shooting skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdZ3hZ8y-w

or carry "Mexican" style with a trigger holster...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mww-DQBbtfc

happyguy
10-28-2011, 01:13
If you don't feel comfortable carrying one in the chamber then you shouldn't be carrying at all.

Why is that?

Regards,
Happyguy :)

FoMoCowboy
10-28-2011, 01:43
Good thing I know to keep my finger off the trigger, isn't it?

If you don't then by all means, keep that chamber empty

No kidding..... Did you watch the video? guy tries to say he was "barely touching the gun" who loads a mag and has a frail little fairy grip on the gun?

and yes, I keep my finger off the trigger.

JuneyBooney
10-28-2011, 01:52

I have actually heard of firearms going off on their own. I have even seen it happen to me when firing crappy ammo..it can happen but you have to be putting pressure on the gun or shooting them. What the man said could have happened if they were reloads. :wow: It can and does happen as he described. But if you are carrying a gun for ccw I would only use factory loads. Just my opinion.

FoMoCowboy
10-28-2011, 02:15
I have actually heard of firearms going off on their own. I have even seen it happen to me when firing crappy ammo..it can happen but you have to be putting pressure on the gun or shooting them. What the man said could have happened if they were reloads. :wow: It can and does happen as he described. But if you are carrying a gun for ccw I would only use factory loads. Just my opinion.

Yup, I havent bought a box of ammo in years, but my protection ammo is factory, mostly for legal reasons.

My biggest complaint about this video is that he had the gun pointing at the wall his wife was behind. Whether or not this was a negligent discharge or actually a faulty gun or ammo, talk about POOR POOR POOR muzzle control, this could have ended very terribly.

ThinkMud
10-28-2011, 05:26
We don't know what really happened in that video. Could be his fault it went off, could be a defective gun. I used to hang out on an XD sight a while back and heard more than once of them going off with no one touching the trigger, like one dude had it fall off a shelf and it went off when it hit the floor(luckily with no one in the house).

I do agree he was NOT pointing the gun in a safe direction, but if he really didn't have his finger on the trigger (and back safety) then something has to be wrong with the gun.

When I chamber and unchamber, I always point it away from anyone one in the house, and if the house is full, and I don't know 100% for sure where everyone is, I'll leave it alone, and wait until I know.

Makes you think think though. Scary to think about too.

FoMoCowboy
10-28-2011, 05:35
I always keep handguns chambered. That is what holsters are for.

My holsters seem to work fine without a round in the chamber :whistling:

Warp
10-28-2011, 07:04
You may not know it but in the wild west there were some that did not carry one in the chamber.

That way you wouldn't shoot yourself in the foot/leg with your holstered gun. Safeties back then didn't work the way they do now.

My holsters seem to work fine without a round in the chamber

You missed the point by a mile

FoMoCowboy
10-28-2011, 11:43
[QUOTE=You missed the point by a mile[/QUOTE]

I didnt miss your point. I just think its fun to wind you up cause you seem INCREDIBLY uptight. :tongueout:

Warp
10-28-2011, 12:03
I didnt miss your point. I just think its fun to wind you up cause you seem INCREDIBLY uptight. :tongueout:

Looking back over my posts I do not know how you came to that conclusion.

Nonetheless, trolling and trying to create arguments for the sheer sake of an argument is against Glock Talk TOS.

JuneyBooney
10-28-2011, 12:05
Yup, I havent bought a box of ammo in years, but my protection ammo is factory, mostly for legal reasons.

My biggest complaint about this video is that he had the gun pointing at the wall his wife was behind. Whether or not this was a negligent discharge or actually a faulty gun or ammo, talk about POOR POOR POOR muzzle control, this could have ended very terribly.

I agree about the nuzzle control. He is darn lucky that he didn't kill her.