My new 1050 experience... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My new 1050 experience...

Shadyscott69
10-23-2011, 19:46
As I posted last week I got a new to me RL1050. Thought I would post my thoughts so far.

Got the press already set up for 38 Super about 10 days ago. Called Dillon the same day and ordered the conversion kit for 40 S&W since that is what I am shooting in competition and the majority of what i load. I have been doing about 1000 per week for the last few months on my LnL with great results.

Exactly 7 days after i got the press the conversion kit arrived. I was somewhat apprehensive with the reports of the difficulty changing things out. While it was not a 5 minute job, I got it up and running in about 2 hours. I think I could do it in about 30 minutes now.

Loaded up 4 of the included primer tubes, dumped a butt load of brass in the case feeder and started pulling the handle. One word... WOW!
This thing is amazing! I now understand why Dillion makes the auto primer filler thingy. The primer alarm started a buzzing and I was thinking, what the hell is wrong with that thing. Nothing. It was empty in about 3 minutes.

Loaded about 1000 rounds this weekend and shot in a match. Total time loading was less than 2 hours. All rounds are exactly the same OAL, the powder charges with VV N320 are EXACTLY the same on my scale. Very impressive.

I should have bought one of these things years ago. :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
10-23-2011, 20:03
Sweet, I am keeping my eyes open for a RL1050 or Super. Glad your happy. You got a smoking good deal.

Hoser
10-23-2011, 20:08
Many congrats. They are a great machine.

freakshow10mm
10-23-2011, 21:21
S1050s are great presses. If you got it used it's most likely broken in already. Should be smooth sailing from here on out.

As you may have found, smooth operation is the key to making great ammunition. Lube it per the manual and work the handle deliberately and you shouldn't have any problems.

It's a little intimidating at first, but after a few hundred rounds it just feels right.

Next step is a bullet feeder. I'd love to get one for mine but I can't afford it right now.

Shadyscott69
10-24-2011, 05:46
S1050s are great presses. If you got it used it's most likely broken in already. Should be smooth sailing from here on out.

As you may have found, smooth operation is the key to making great ammunition. Lube it per the manual and work the handle deliberately and you shouldn't have any problems.

It's a little intimidating at first, but after a few hundred rounds it just feels right.

Next step is a bullet feeder. I'd love to get one for mine but I can't afford it right now.

The guy I got id from had loaded 40-50K with it. It looks new in every way. I am more than happy. I can see me waiting until 1 hour before I have to leave for a match to start loading. I had toyed with the idea of a bullet feeder, but to be honest, If it was any faster I couldn't afford to feed the thing. I could see loading 1800 rounds an hour with a primer filler and a bullet feeder. I am only ordering bullets 2k at a time.

WiskyT
10-24-2011, 18:39
What makes it faster? I understand that it is likely smoother which allows faster handle operation, but isn't the limiting factor still the speed at which you can move your hand up and down and place a bullet?

Shadyscott69
10-24-2011, 18:53
What makes it faster? I understand that it is likely smoother which allows faster handle operation, but isn't the limiting factor still the speed at which you can move your hand up and down and place a bullet?

I think it is faster because it primes on the down stroke. I know that really doesn't make sense until you experience it first hand. The extra push at the top of the stroke on the 650 or the LnL really adds up over an hour.

Another factor may be totally mental. I have more confidence in this machine already than I have ever had in one before. I was initially worried about not having any tactile feedback when seating primers. You really can't feel it seat. It just does so with boring consistency.

The only speed limit I have found on the machine is powder splashing out of the cases if you go too fast. I would never try to go that fast all the time, I was just seeing how fast I could actually go before something went askew.

Colorado4Wheel
10-24-2011, 18:58
Once you get the hang of it you can catch the index point and to slow down at that point if you like. I do the same thing on my 650. It's one of the things I like about the way the 650 index's. To me the 1050 is a little less obvious but you can still feel it once you get the hang of it.

WiskyT
10-24-2011, 19:06
I think it is faster because it primes on the down stroke. I know that really doesn't make sense until you experience it first hand. The extra push at the top of the stroke on the 650 or the LnL really adds up over an hour.

Another factor may be totally mental. I have more confidence in this machine already than I have ever had in one before. I was initially worried about not having any tactile feedback when seating primers. You really can't feel it seat. It just does so with boring consistency.

The only speed limit I have found on the machine is powder splashing out of the cases if you go too fast. I would never try to go that fast all the time, I was just seeing how fast I could actually go before something went askew.

Thanks.

Shadyscott69
10-24-2011, 19:23
Thanks.

If your ever get down this way, you are welcome to come and give it a try.

WiskyT
10-24-2011, 19:32
If your ever get down this way, you are welcome to come and give it a try.

'preciate it. I can't even get to Waxhaw to chrono some loads I've been working on. Two hours to you I might as well be going to Florida. How often do you get up to Charlotte?

PCJim
10-24-2011, 20:34
Wisky, you comming down here?

WiskyT
10-24-2011, 20:35
Wisky, you comming down here?

No, you're safe:supergrin:

freakshow10mm
10-24-2011, 22:13
Loading on a 1050 is all about cadence. Smooth and steady is the name of the game. I've got a hybrid technique where I go faster lowering the toolhead than raising it and indexing. Some reloaders like using powders like TG on the press because they don't have to worry about slopping powder all over the place. Also if you're reloading cases with a lot of capacity like 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt you can go faster on the index than shorter ones.

You wouldn't think priming on the downstroke would save time, but over an hour it really does. It's also a strict mechanical setting on the press, so every primer is seated to that depth.

Shadyscott69
10-25-2011, 06:16
Loading on a 1050 is all about cadence. Smooth and steady is the name of the game. I've got a hybrid technique where I go faster lowering the toolhead than raising it and indexing. Some reloaders like using powders like TG on the press because they don't have to worry about slopping powder all over the place. Also if you're reloading cases with a lot of capacity like 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt you can go faster on the index than shorter ones.

You wouldn't think priming on the downstroke would save time, but over an hour it really does. It's also a strict mechanical setting on the press, so every primer is seated to that depth.

I agree with everything you said. I pretty much have the cadence down now. It is remarkable how quickly the little things add up to increase output.

Now if I could only get consistent metering with bunny fart loads of 40 & Clays, I would be in heaven. :steamed:

Shadyscott69
10-25-2011, 06:17
'preciate it. I can't even get to Waxhaw to chrono some loads I've been working on. Two hours to you I might as well be going to Florida. How often do you get up to Charlotte?

I get to the Queen City 4-5 times a year. Used to be a lot more when I had friends living in Kanapolis.

byf43
10-25-2011, 07:06
Gee. . . thanks.

I've been happy with my RL-550B for many years, and now. . . you've got me thinking about a 1050.

I KNEW I shouldn't have opened this thread.:dunno:

Shadyscott69
10-25-2011, 19:18
Gee. . . thanks.

I've been happy with my RL-550B for many years, and now. . . you've got me thinking about a 1050.

I KNEW I shouldn't have opened this thread.:dunno:

You won't regret it one bit. I am keeping my LnL for small runs and quick caliber changes, but for pure volume, I doubt the 1050 can be beat.

WiskyT
10-25-2011, 19:26
I get to the Queen City 4-5 times a year. Used to be a lot more when I had friends living in Kanapolis.

Give me a shout next time you come up. We can hit the club and burn some powder.

Shadyscott69
10-25-2011, 19:37
Give me a shout next time you come up. We can hit the club and burn some powder.

Will do!

alank2
10-25-2011, 19:48
Hi,

Congrats on the 1050! I'd sure love to have one someday!

Good luck,

Alan

Colorado4Wheel
10-25-2011, 20:17
Now if I could only get consistent metering with bunny fart loads of 40 & Clays, I would be in heaven. :steamed:

Fill it full and don't let it get below 1/2 full. Tap the crap out of the side of the powder measure before you start loading. Then throw 10 or so charges. See how that works. Uniquetek makes a baffle. Also, you can polish the inside of the aluminum bowl and funnel. That helps as well.

Shadyscott69
10-26-2011, 05:19
Fill it full and don't let it get below 1/2 full. Tap the crap out of the side of the powder measure before you start loading. Then throw 10 or so charges. See how that works. Uniquetek makes a baffle. Also, you can polish the inside of the aluminum bowl and funnel. That helps as well.

Thanks Steve. I have been tapping the crap out of it to no avail. I am going to try the polishing trick next. It isn't just the Dillon. My LnL does the same thing. I suppose the flakes are bridging and messing with the drop. It will throw 2.9gn 10 times in a row then 2.4, 2.5, 2.4, 2.1 2.9, 2.9 ect.

I love the VV N320, it is just sooooo dang expensive. It is very soft with very consistent throws.

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2011, 05:57
Thanks Steve. I have been tapping the crap out of it to no avail. I am going to try the polishing trick next. It isn't just the Dillon. My LnL does the same thing. I suppose the flakes are bridging and messing with the drop. It will throw 2.9gn 10 times in a row then 2.4, 2.5, 2.4, 2.1 2.9, 2.9 ect.

I love the VV N320, it is just sooooo dang expensive. It is very soft with very consistent throws.

I am going to guess that the 1050 (non super) doesn't have the powder safety bar thing (it uses a spring for its return motion). If you can get the safety thing fitted I find it jostles the powder measure and makes things more consistent. Many people hate the noise and jerky motion. But I think it helps.
The powder baffle might help.
Other option is just switch to Solo 1000 (if you chrono). Same speed, same feel, meters good in Dillon. You may want to ask about this over at brian enos forums. This is the first I have heard of Clays not working well in a Dillon. But I have not payed a lot of attention to clays.

Shadyscott69
10-26-2011, 06:22
I am going to guess that the 1050 (non super) doesn't have the powder safety bar thing (it uses a spring for its return motion). If you can get the safety thing fitted I find it jostles the powder measure and makes things more consistent. Many people hate the noise and jerky motion. But I think it helps.
The powder baffle might help.
Other option is just switch to Solo 1000 (if you chrono). Same speed, same feel, meters good in Dillon. You may want to ask about this over at brian enos forums. This is the first I have heard of Clays not working well in a Dillon. But I have not payed a lot of attention to clays.

Mine actually has the safety thingy. Like I said earlier, I got the same results with my LnL so it isn't just the Dillon.

I thought about the Solo. Just haven't been able to find any locally. With what I have read on Benos, it is only the sub 3.0 loads that won't meter well. I am going to try some 3.1 loads and chrono and see how they feel. It is still far below published max for Clays, and I certainly want to stay safe with that stuff.

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2011, 06:29
Have you tried the small bar? I am just curious. Good luck with it.

Shadyscott69
10-26-2011, 06:35
Have you tried the small bar? I am just curious. Good luck with it.

Yes, I have the small bar and spacer in now. I couldn't get close the the large bar and Clays. On second thought, I never tried the large bar and Clays. I tried it with the N320. Might have to give that a shot. Thanks.

F106 Fan
10-26-2011, 09:34
I think the variation in charge is due to the type of powder. For me, Bullseye meters better than 700-X. The flakes are a little smaller. Ball powder (which I have never used) is supposed to meter very well and stick powder doesn't seem to meter well at all.

There is an X-Small powder measure bar (#20780) which is not shipped with the powder measure. This may be more appropriate for these small charges.

Now I have to go look and see if I have one because the move to small charges of Titegroup may require this bar.

Richard

GioaJack
10-26-2011, 09:54
I've got one of my 1050's set up with Clays and find that it meters pretty much like Unique, which is fine by me. I target the drop for 3.9 grains and it consistently throws 3.8 to 4.0, have never had bigger swings than that.

The other one is set up with Unique for 9mm. I target 4.9 grains and again consistently get 4.8 to 5.0 grains. I can't tell the difference and neither can the guns.

The Dillon measures already have a baffle built into the bottom so I'm not sure if you'd gain anything by putting another one in. You can make one in just a couple of minutes out of a rolled out soda can if you want to try it without spending any money.

Jack

rpgman
10-26-2011, 10:26
wow, a Dillon 1050...

U Sir are a very lucky man.

ron59
10-26-2011, 13:14
wow, a Dillon 1050...

U Sir are a very lucky man.
See this thread?
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377011

Looks like Hozer has THREE of 'em, and some other stuff as well. Think I see a shotgun reloader in the back and a 550 front right.

Wowza.

Shadyscott69
10-26-2011, 16:36
See this thread?
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377011

Looks like Hozer has THREE of 'em, and some other stuff as well. Think I see a shotgun reloader in the back and a 550 front right.

Wowza.

I think Jack has at least 2, 1050's to go with the other 567,000 presses he has.

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2011, 17:00
Yeah, but he claims not to like them so he doesn't count.

Shadyscott69
10-26-2011, 17:39
Yeah, but he claims not to like them so he doesn't count.

I always knew he is about half a bubble off plumb. :whistling:

Hoser
10-26-2011, 21:29
I think Jack has at least 2, 1050's to go with the other 567,000 presses he has.

I might have more 1050s than Jack, but he has ex-wives to support.