Glock 17 mag as spare for carrying Glock 26 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 mag as spare for carrying Glock 26

gargodude
10-23-2011, 23:27
I have a new Glock 26 9mm and just got my CCW in California. I also have an older Glock 17 9mm, which is also on my permit. I know that since I have owned my 17 well before the 10-round magazine law existed, I can legally carry the 17 with the high-capacity mags I already own. Since the 26 has a 10 round mag, and my high-capacity mags also fit it, could I legally carry one of my high-capacity mags as a spare for the 26 when I carry it?

nastytrigger
10-23-2011, 23:30
Not sure on legalities, but I carry 17rd spares with my G19.

I hate California... So 10rd mags are norm, but you can have 17rd mags for a G17 bought before a certain date? I'm glad I live where I live... sorry.

Warp
10-23-2011, 23:41
I have a new Glock 26 9mm and just got my CCW in California. I also have an older Glock 17 9mm, which is also on my permit. I know that since I have owned my 17 well before the 10-round magazine law existed, I can legally carry the 17 with the high-capacity mags I already own. Since the 26 has a 10 round mag, and my high-capacity mags also fit it, could I legally carry one of my high-capacity mags as a spare for the 26 when I carry it?

Try to get out of the habit of calling it a high capacity mag. I know the anti gun liberals in charge out there like to use that term but it really is a standard capacity mag. That is how the gun was designed. Your neutered 10 round magazines are restricted capacity.

I don't know much about Cali gun laws but I don't think carrying a 17 round magazine is likely to go over very well.

gargodude
10-23-2011, 23:44
You have a point with the nomenclature. I should have referred to them as standard-capacity mags. It has already been confirmed that I can carry the 17 with those pre-ban mags, so why not the 26 with the same pre-ban mag?

Warp
10-23-2011, 23:47
You have a point with the nomenclature. I should have referred to them as standard-capacity mags. It has already been confirmed that I can carry the 17 with those pre-ban mags, so why not the 26 with the same pre-ban mag?

I don't know why not. Logically...no reason.

But this is Cali and gun laws we are talking about. Logic is not welcome.

Sadly I will be visiting Cali later this year. :sad:

nastytrigger
10-23-2011, 23:55
From what I've read, if your magazine was purchased prior to 2000, you own it, and it can be put into any gun model made before 2000. So, both a G17 and G26 existed prior to 2000, your mag is pre-2000, then it's okay.

glockman513
10-24-2011, 00:03
That's exactly the setup I've been carrying lately.

gargodude
10-24-2011, 00:13
Since my 26 was bought this year, by that logic, I cannot use the larger mag in it. OK, how about this? I keep the 10-round mag in it while carrying, but I also carry the 17-round mag with me as a spare. If it's not in the gun, I can legally carry it around since I've had it since before the ban. I theoretically will never put it in the gun unless I have to draw the weapon and I empty the 10-round mag. If for some reason, I can't stop my threat with 10 rounds, will the law prevent me from using the legally-possessed 17 round mag (that I just happen to have with me) to continue defending myself?

nastytrigger
10-24-2011, 00:24
Since my 26 was bought this year, by that logic, I cannot use the larger mag in it. OK, how about this? I keep the 10-round mag in it while carrying, but I also carry the 17-round mag with me as a spare. If it's not in the gun, I can legally carry it around since I've had it since before the ban. I theoretically will never put it in the gun unless I have to draw the weapon and I empty the 10-round mag. If for some reason, I can't stop my threat with 10 rounds, will the law prevent me from using the legally-possessed 17 round mag (that I just happen to have with me) to continue defending myself?

No, the gun model itself came out in 1994, the G26. Doesn't matter when your gun was made, just the model as a whole. Your good to carry the 17rd mag in your G26 from what I've read.

Google California High Capacity Magazine Laws.

Dalton Wayne
10-24-2011, 00:29
How did you manage to get a Cali permit???

off road
10-24-2011, 01:35

The idea of the Baby Glock is that it and its magazines are a small package, for more convenient CCW. Why ruin it by carting around oversize magazines?

How likely are you to need a reload anyway, much less an oversize one? If you can't solve your problem with 10 rounds....you are probably already dead!

Toorop
10-24-2011, 02:21
How did you manage to get a Cali permit???

They are shall issue in some counties. Check out Calguns forum for more information. It is not that uncommon.

Lior
10-24-2011, 02:45
Having an extra mag is also a good idea. Hopefully you will never, ever need it in a real life situation, but you have the tools that will definitely help to save your hide if you do your part.

average nobody
10-24-2011, 02:46
california pc 12020, It is illegal to manufacture and/or import magazines capable of holding more than 10rds. after 1-1-2000. its NOT illegal to possess standard(17rnds) magazines in cali. . just make sure your ccw does not have restrictions on capacity for carrying.

dhkaiser
10-24-2011, 08:01
Can't address the legal aspects, however I have seen G17 mags cause jams in a G26. With the short grip on the G26 your little finger ends up on the G17 mag. Should your grip be too tight it will get the mag out of alignment and cause jams.

X-Concealment
10-24-2011, 08:23
I theoretically will never put it in the gun unless I have to draw the weapon and I empty the 10-round mag. If for some reason, I can't stop my threat with 10 rounds, will the law prevent me from using the legally-possessed 17 round mag (that I just happen to have with me) to continue defending myself?

Say you ended up stopped your threat with the 21st round that you carried (which is all we are questioning about here, the extra 7 rds that you are going to carry) and your G26 was taken in as evidence by the LEOs alone with the G17 mags. How would that evidence make you look in front of the judge and jury? Remember not all of the juries are famlier with the ban and preban mag restrictions and carry situations and selections. For a lot of them, just carrying alone is a totally unnecessary thing to do.

So, for the sake that you are not 100% sure if the law will be on your side after you shot somebody in self defence. Carry 2 x G26 mags instead of one G19/17 full capacity mag. That will give you 3 - 5 rds more to defend yourself, and an extra G26 mag can be carried pretty much anywhere on you.

redbaron007
10-24-2011, 09:00
I guess Komifornia would flip over the 33rd mag I some times carry as back up with my G26. :tongueout: :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

gargodude
10-24-2011, 10:09
This would really freak them out. Since both my 17 and my 26 are on my permit, I could carry the 17 as my primary and the 26 as by backup gun. Then carrying spare 17 mags wouldn't look quite so odd.

up1911fan
10-24-2011, 10:14
I carry spare mag's that are the same as what's in the gun. That's how I train at the range so that's how I carry.

ChuteTheMall
10-24-2011, 10:51
Can't address the legal aspects, however I have seen G17 mags cause jams in a G26. With the short grip on the G26 your little finger ends up on the G17 mag. Should your grip be too tight it will get the mag out of alignment and cause jams.

Although I've heard this from people I trust, it's never been a problem for me in hard training. YMMV, we all grip differently.

I do have one of the A&G grip extenders for my G26 and another for my G30 but (1) they add bulk, (2) sometimes they pinch, (3) they don't speed up my reload times, so I rarely use them.

ICARRY2
10-24-2011, 11:02
Could the OP add a three round extension to his 17 round mag and make it a 20 round mag legally?

G26AZ
10-24-2011, 11:52
I switch back and forth between my 26 and 19 for CC, but my mag holder always has a 15 rd G19 mag in it. I've used it several times at the range with different grip strengths, positions, etc, and it doesn't jam. I does feel strange though, when you are used to curling your pinkie finger under the grip.

Unistat
10-24-2011, 12:14
The idea of the Baby Glock is that it and its magazines are a small package, for more convenient CCW. Why ruin it by carting around oversize magazines?

How likely are you to need a reload anyway, much less an oversize one? If you can't solve your problem with 10 rounds....you are probably already dead!

Carrying a G-17 mag as a spare will not affect concealability at all. In addition, the number one cause of failures in semi-autos are mag problems. If you're going to carry a back-up, you might as well have more rounds in it.

But I guess by your way of thinking, California has the right idea since we will never need more than 10 rounds to defend ourselves. :upeyes:

M1A Shooter
10-24-2011, 12:42
i always carry a g17 mag as a spare reguardless if im carrying the 17 or the 26. i have never had a problem with feeding in my 26 either.

dont know the Cali laws though.