Spare Magazine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Spare Magazine

nastytrigger
10-24-2011, 00:38
I carry a Glock 19 everyday. I have 15+1rds of Speer Gold Dot +P. I was carrying one spare mag, with the same load, but have not been recently. I guess I figure 16rds is plenty, but is it in my advantage to carry a spare?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Mas Ayoob
10-24-2011, 07:08
I think it's definitely a good idea to carry a spare.

1. Always the possibility of a rare high-volume encounter.

2. Something as simple as shooting a rattlesnake, you have ammo with which to top off until you get home.

3. In a struggle for the gun, it's entirely possible for the opponent's hand to accidentally hit the button, causing your mag to drop. Once you get the (now single-shot) Glock back, you won't have time to hunt on the deck for your magazine to get it back upand running.

4. You didn't mention whether you're right or left handed, or whether your Glock 19 is a Gen 4 with the mag button reversed. If the button is pointed out away from your body (i.e., Gen 1-3 carried left handed) many holsters do not protect the magazine button if you are thrown sideways into a wall, roll over it while on the ground, etc. -- things that can easily happen in a fight or even a fall. If the magazine has fallen out during this strenuous activity and you need the gun, it's a single-shot if you don't have a spare mag.

5. Probably the single most likely: any pistol can malfunction, and many malfunctions are either due to the magazine or compromise the magazine, so a spare becomes essential to get the pistol back working.

best,
Mas

nastytrigger
10-25-2011, 17:24
Thanks for the input. I'm getting my spare mag pouch out. As many variables as there could be in a gunfight, having a loaded gun is important.

I am left-handed, and have a Gen3 G19.

I did think about accidentally hitting the mag release (happened once in my Jeep somehow), so I have a Blackhawk Serpa that covers the mag catch. It's my usual carry holster. I do have a Don Hume IWB too for more concealability.