Carrying a 357 sig barrel for SD in a Glock 23? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a 357 sig barrel for SD in a Glock 23?

hamster
10-24-2011, 07:37
Hi Mas,

I saw a recent thread here where someone was asking about using a g33 barrel in a G27 for SD. That got me thinking, I've got a G32 barrel for my G23, but I've only ever used it for fun and practice.

I've always avoided carrying anything other than stock for SD to avoid any potential legal problems down the road. In your experience, do you think it could be a problem defending an SD situation if I carried my G23 with a factory G32 barrel?

Secondly, would you recommend carrying with a factory barrel (with possibly mismatching serial# to my frame) or with an aftermarket (lone wolf type) barrel?

Mas Ayoob
10-24-2011, 10:40
Changing barrels on murder weapons to confuse investigators looking at ballistics evidence is a staple of crime fiction,and has probably occurred in the real world. There were allegations of it happening in one famous murder/robbery case; do a Google search for the Sacco-Vanzetti Case.

That said, since the barrel in the gun at the scene is the one that will go to the crime lab for testing, it's hard to imagine this being an issue unless the shooter had stupidly fled the scene.

Should it become an issue, I would suggest the defense attorney bring in gunsmiths and shooting match directors to testify that replacement barrels are very popular among target shooters and other shooting hobbyists. I have BarSto, Jarvis, and Storm Lake barrels in some of my carry guns, and don't worry about it.

best,
Mas