Cabela's Double Duty Belt - 10 Months Later [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Double Duty Belt - 10 Months Later

VELO
10-24-2011, 12:39
Just a follow up review on this belt.

There was a sale on these belts early this year and they were recommended by a forum member in the same breath as the vaunted Beltman. They were cheap so I bought one in black and one in brown.

For some reason I haven't worn the brown one much, but the black one has seen alot of use. That leads me to this thread.

My first impression upon receiving these belts was that they were incredibly stiff and rugged and would definitely work well. I pulled out a Galco Combat Master (G-26) that I hadn't used in a while and remembered how much I liked using it with a great belt supporting it.

Most of the summer I've carried AIWB due to thinner golf shirts and shorts. Works well for me. Now that fall is here and more layers are going on, it's back to OWB at 3:30. I was very surprised how little support was left in my black Double Duty belt. It has softened considerably over the summer.

Just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, I grabbed the brown one that is still virtually brand new. The difference was significant. Great support for the holster with the grip tucked in nice and tight to my side. In contrast, the black one left the grip hanging out away from my side quite a bit.

They *are* great looking belts and I'm not disappointed in them as far as holding my pants up. However, gun belts they are not.

There are countless belt threads on here so I thought I'd post up my experience with the Double Duty.

Have a great day! ---VELO

Cap'n
10-24-2011, 13:51
Thanks for the update, Velo.

Think I'll be able to avoid those "good deals" now.

dosei
10-24-2011, 14:40
This is why some of us try to be very vocal about single ply belts, they do not hold up as well over time as a properly made double thickness gun belt. The Cabela's Double Duty, the Amish belts, the Filson belt, the Carhart belt, the Dickies belts, the thick premium belt from the local western store...they are all overpriced belts because just one Aker B21 will outlast a box full of the single ply belts. One of the best belt recommendations I've come across was this:

No quality gun belt will ever be able to "pose" like this for a photo:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dosei/FilsonBelt.jpg
Belts like this are a waste of your hard earned money.

VELO
10-24-2011, 15:44
This is why some of us try to be very vocal about single ply belts, they do not hold up as well over time as a properly made double thickness gun belt. The Cabela's Double Duty, the Amish belts, the Filson belt, the Carhart belt, the Dickies belts, the thick premium belt from the local western store...they are all overpriced belts because just one Aker B21 will outlast a box full of the single ply belts.

Not disagreeing with you at all. However the Double Duty is not a single ply belt...hence its name. Even the one that I own that has softened up can't be posed like your example. When new it was incredibly stiff. It just hasn't held up the way I expected a double ply belt would.

That's why I posted what I did. You are correct that there is alot of bashing of single ply belts...and rightly so. I just didn't want somebody who heeds the warnings they might read here about them to go into Cabelas, see a Double Duty--double ply belt, and think that it'll hold up.

IndyGunFreak
10-24-2011, 16:37
This is why some of us try to be very vocal about single ply belts, they do not hold up as well over time as a properly made double thickness gun belt. The Cabela's Double Duty, the Amish belts, the Filson belt, the Carhart belt, the Dickies belts, the thick premium belt from the local western store...they are all overpriced belts because just one Aker B21 will outlast a box full of the single ply belts. One of the best belt recommendations I've come across was this:

No quality gun belt will ever be able to "pose" like this for a photo:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dosei/FilsonBelt.jpg
Belts like this are a waste of your hard earned money.

:agree:

I've been one of those vocal ones, about that belt, for that exact reason.

HerrGlock
10-24-2011, 16:54
Not disagreeing with you at all. However the Double Duty is not a single ply belt...hence its name. Even the one that I own that has softened up can't be posed like your example. When new it was incredibly stiff. It just hasn't held up the way I expected a double ply belt would.

That's why I posted what I did. You are correct that there is alot of bashing of single ply belts...and rightly so. I just didn't want somebody who heeds the warnings they might read here about them to go into Cabelas, see a Double Duty--double ply belt, and think that it'll hold up.

Interesting. I've got two of them and I'm the one who posted about them.

Still working fine for me. One mostly hangs in the closet and I got it for when I wear the other one out.

They're still about the same stiffness. I still wear the one daily with a full size steel 1911 or a Sig 245, neither of which could be said are small or lightweight guns. Not an issue and softening isn't happening for me. Dunno what's different but apparently it is.

I'm usually amused at people who go by ad pictures and declare a belt worthless because of the ad picture. That's like believing a Volvo can fly because you saw a commercial with one in the clouds.

BailRecoveryAgent
10-24-2011, 17:32
If a belt will roll up like the one pictured above, it will hold your britches up but will do a horrible job supporting a gun.

Walk Soft
10-24-2011, 17:45
I haven't noticed a difference in mine.It's been about five months for me.This was my first decent belt.I liked it so much I wear it 95% of the time,even at work(where I can't carry)One big thing I noticed immediately was how you don't have to have the belt nearly as tight to hold your pants/gun up to the same level as a lesser belt that is much tighter because of the rigidity.Most of my workbelts only last about a year but even the finish of this one still looks good so far.

Sheepdog Scout
10-24-2011, 22:17
Interesting. I've got two of them and I'm the one who posted about them.

Still working fine for me. One mostly hangs in the closet and I got it for when I wear the other one out.

They're still about the same stiffness. I still wear the one daily with a full size steel 1911 or a Sig 245, neither of which could be said are small or lightweight guns. Not an issue and softening isn't happening for me. Dunno what's different but apparently it is.

I'm usually amused at people who go by ad pictures and declare a belt worthless because of the ad picture. That's like believing a Volvo can fly because you saw a commercial with one in the clouds.

I've had the same experience Herr. I bought one last winter back in early Feb. Been using it ever since. Carried a G19, CZ75 and a fullsized Beretta 92. It still works great. And is as stiff as when I bought it. It's gone through some rough use as well and it has held up very well.

sourdough44
10-25-2011, 07:13
I saw that Cabelas belt sale when it was going on. I had recently bought a Filson 'double belt'. The Filson is holding up well.

HerrGlock
10-25-2011, 07:39
I saw that Cabelas belt sale when it was going on. I had recently bought a Filson 'double belt'. The Filson is holding up well.

I love that belt! It lasted me 5 years before I had to replace it. Well worth the money.

Edit:

Oh, for all those "But, but, but the picture!!! " types. I'd love to see anyone do this with the filson. It's not going to happen, even after 5 years of softening

http://ankylosaur.com/images/filsondoublebelt.jpg

itstime
10-25-2011, 08:06
Wilderness for me. Spec ops works great also. Lifetime warranty.

BailRecoveryAgent
10-25-2011, 08:12
HerrGlock, which one is a better belt, the Cabelas Double or the Filson Double?

Reason I ask, I've undergrew my spendy CompTac gunbelt(lost so much weight I've punched new holes up to the kydex stiffener) and I don't wanna spend another $100 on a belt that I'll undergrow in less than a year. I need some less expensive alternatives while I'm working my way down to my fightin' weight.

Maybe I should just buy a couple of Wilderness 5stitch easy fits, one in my current size, one in the next size down, instead of cheap leather.

Travclem
10-25-2011, 08:15
I'm currently wearing a comptac belt with the Kydex reinforcement and it works great. My next one is going to be from Beltman though.

HerrGlock
10-25-2011, 08:33
HerrGlock, which one is a better belt, the Cabelas Double or the Filson Double?

Reason I ask, I've undergrew my spendy CompTac gunbelt(lost so much weight I've punched new holes up to the kydex stiffener) and I don't wanna spend another $100 on a belt that I'll undergrow in less than a year. I need some less expensive alternatives while I'm working my way down to my fightin' weight.

Maybe I should just buy a couple of Wilderness 5stitch easy fits, one in my current size, one in the next size down, instead of cheap leather.

I got the Cabelas when they were on sale for $35 or whatever it was. I've found the Filson for $60 if you look long enough. Either one of those are fine. I would find the one I could find cheapest and be happy.

One thing to consider, the Filson is a THICK belt. It's two full slabs of bridle leather and I've found a lot of belt clips (cell phones and whatnot) don't fit on it all that well. Might want to take that into account if you wear such things.

I've also got a Beltman that I would recommend in a minute as well. But that's right back up in the hundred range.

BailRecoveryAgent
10-25-2011, 09:05
One thing to consider, the Filson is a THICK belt. It's two full slabs of bridle leather and I've found a lot of belt clips (cell phones and whatnot) don't fit on it all that well. Might want to take that into account if you wear such things.

My CompTac is that way, two layers of thick leather and a kydex stiffener in between. I've had to lightly sand holster slots in order to get the belt to feed through them.

VELO
10-25-2011, 09:10
Hey HerrGlock. Thanks for checking in on this thread. I didn't want to name names in my original post. But since you're here.....

I have to admit that I'm surprised by my experience with this belt. It has softened to the point where I *could* pose it like the Filson picture above. The brown one that I haven't worn as much is much too stiff to do that. As you (and all other "gun belt" guys) already know what's even more important is the lateral stability; and the one I have really has none left. If I hold it at either end I can easily put four twists in it. Again, no way am I doing that with the brown one.

Maybe I just got a bad one. I'll start wearing the brown one more now that fall is here so I'll be interested to see if I get the same results.

Would you still put your recommendation of this as equal to, or nearly so, to the Beltman? I ask because maybe my expectations are too high. ---VELO

HerrGlock
10-25-2011, 09:24
Hey HerrGlock. Thanks for checking in on this thread. I didn't want to name names in my original post. But since you're here.....

I have to admit that I'm surprised by my experience with this belt. It has softened to the point where I *could* pose it like the Filson picture above. The brown one that I haven't worn as much is much too stiff to do that. As you (and all other "gun belt" guys) already know what's even more important is the lateral stability; and the one I have really has none left. If I hold it at either end I can easily put four twists in it. Again, no way am I doing that with the brown one.

Maybe I just got a bad one. I'll start wearing the brown one more now that fall is here so I'll be interested to see if I get the same results.

Would you still put your recommendation of this as equal to, or nearly so, to the Beltman? I ask because maybe my expectations are too high. ---VELO

I'm surprised. I honestly am.

No, I'm the one who suggested these and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm wearing the belt I bought when I first suggested these. I can wind it to about 15" or 20" cylinder before I feel real resistance. I believe I could get it close to that pic but I would have to damage the belt to do it. With my Filson for the first couple years I would have had to soak it in water and then roll it like that pic. I've got a Sig 245 on this Cabela's belt right now as well. The Sig has a habit of showing me what belts are not worth a damn and it's still not sagging on mine.

My Beltman is just about the same feel as this Cabela's belt. It's got the same curve now as well. It might be a bit stiffer to fold but not a whole hell of a lot. Yeah, I switch out for work as well as for relaxed wear.

The Beltman is a slightly better belt for long term but it's also over 3 times what I paid for the Cabela's.

Dunno. Then again I might not work mine as much as other people might, humidity, etc. Or the quality control of Cabela's isn't on par with Beltman (quite possible) and the variation is a whole lot greater in regards to quality per belt and I got one of the three better ones they made. Dunno.

Still and all well worth the money.

HerrGlock
10-25-2011, 14:01
Oh this is FUNNY! Apparently I had the two mixed up. The Beltman belt is the one with the horseshoe buckle and the Cabela's belt is the one with the oval buckle that the tab goes through twice.

That means the Beltman belt is slightly softer than the Cabela's belt after trading off daily wear.

Yeah, I still stand by that I cannot really tell a difference and that they both are going pretty strong compared to each other after about a year.

VELO
10-25-2011, 14:36
That *is* funny.

Let me ask you this. If you were to hang either one of those belts on a door knob, how far would they bend?

The black one I'm whining about pretty much touches at the ends.

xxlarge
10-25-2011, 14:54
I'm currently wearing a comptac belt with the Kydex reinforcement and it works great. My next one is going to be from Beltman though.

I have one of those too (CompTac) and when I thread it through the belt loops it reminds me of a Cobra with a mind of it's own, trying to escape....you have to be there to appreciate it.

At least it doesn't hiss/spit/bite.

It is an extremely stiff belt and at my age I have no doubt it will out live me by a great many years When I croak my wife will have to look for a very BIG guy to replace me. Maybe she'll get lucky and find a rich one next. :supergrin:

BailRecoveryAgent
10-25-2011, 15:46
I have one of those too (CompTac) and when I thread it through the belt loops it reminds me of a Cobra with a mind of it's own, trying to escape....you have to be there to appreciate it.

At least it doesn't hiss/spit/bite.:supergrin:

:rofl:I'm familar with doing the snake charmer routine to thread it through the loops. One day I was carrying my cargo shorts with the belt already through the loops and my 5 year old said it looked like a ghost was wearing my pants.:supergrin:

Matthew Courtney
10-27-2011, 00:00
If one sweats much, their gun belts should be rotated so that the belts are 100% dry before being worn again. A belt that stays wet won't last nearly as long as an identical one that drys out 100%. At first I tried belts with plastic inserts. but the threads that held the 2 strips of leather aroung the inserts rotted.....

HerrGlock
10-27-2011, 01:20
That *is* funny.

Let me ask you this. If you were to hang either one of those belts on a door knob, how far would they bend?

Both of them will almost touch. Call it 6-8" from touching.

HerrGlock
10-27-2011, 02:25
That *is* funny.

I just did that with both with a ruler. Both have the basic horseshoe shape with the rounded arc over the knob and both have their tips about 12" apart.

VELO
10-27-2011, 09:52
Here's what the black one looks like:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/DerSchmitty/photo.jpg

Thanks HG for your reply. I hope this doesn't come across as arguing. I really appreciate you checking the details of yours and posting them here. I'm just thinking maybe I should see if Cabela's would exchange this one for me since it doesn't seem to be holding up the way it should. Thanks again.

HerrGlock
10-27-2011, 10:29
Here's what the black one looks like:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/DerSchmitty/photo.jpg

Thanks HG for your reply. I hope this doesn't come across as arguing. I really appreciate you checking the details of yours and posting them here. I'm just thinking maybe I should see if Cabela's would exchange this one for me since it doesn't seem to be holding up the way it should. Thanks again.

Nope. Came across as a legit followup of something suggested here.

Wow. No, neither of mine are even close to that. Did you get it wet? Did you sweat through to it regularly? Etc, etc,?

Just... wow.

VELO
10-27-2011, 10:38
Nope. Came across as a legit followup of something suggested here.

Wow. No, neither of mine are even close to that. Did you get it wet? Did you sweat through to it regularly? Etc, etc,?

Just... wow.

No sweat-hog here. :supergrin: No swimming or showering with it on either. It was probably worn every other day, sometimes back to back days, since I got it in February. I always lay it on its side after wearing it. If I knew I'd be sweating alot I'd wear my 5.11 nylon belt. I try to take good care of my stuff.

I'm thinking more and more that I should swing by Cabelas and see if they'd replace it for me. If not, no biggie. It's still a great *looking* belt.

Here's the brown one that I haven't really worn too much:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/DerSchmitty/photo2.jpg

Is that about what yours are like?

Charlie Foxtrot
10-27-2011, 16:29
I wore a 1.5 inch bullhide Beltman for several years and was very happy with it. After several years of daily use, it got soft, and I saw the original thread here on the Cabela's belt.

I purchased the Cabela's belt and have been wearing it daily for approx. the past nine months. I'm very happy with it. I did replace the Cabela's buckle with the Beltman buckle. Also, the Cabela's belt is thicker than the Beltman belt , and it doesn't fit inside the belt loops of all my dress pants.