Google Pre-Cached Maps [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Google Pre-Cached Maps

cgwahl
10-24-2011, 13:56
I just found this yesterday and thought I'd share for those that are not aware. Particularly when people ask for GPS suggestions a lot.

Apparently in Google Maps (on my phone), if you go to More->Labs, you can find Pre-Cache map area. What it will do if you select an area, one of your options will to pre-cache a 10-mile grid of the area.

Haven't tested it yet to see if it actually works well, but should be useful for people like me that don't have a data plan on their phone right now, people with tablets that have GPS and possibly an iPod touches as well (I don't know if they have GPS). Also useful when you go in an area where service is practically nonexistent.

MySiK26
10-24-2011, 17:43
It's also good for those of us can can't use the phone and data at the same time. I had set it today for navigation, then a call came through. I thought I was imagining that it was still working for a sec while on the call lol. I just moved to a new area and don't usually travel outside of 10-15 square miles so this is great. It would be better if they let us allocate space on our MicroSD cards to cache map data. I have a few gb I could use for that.

cgwahl
10-24-2011, 18:00
Good point...hopefully at some point they will allow Maps (the application) to be moved to an SD card, not to mention the maps themselves...I'm actually surprised it can't be already (for Android phones that is).

Perhaps once this gets out of labs it will be movable.

MySiK26
10-27-2011, 19:09
Good point...hopefully at some point they will allow Maps (the application) to be moved to an SD card, not to mention the maps themselves...I'm actually surprised it can't be already (for Android phones that is).

Perhaps once this gets out of labs it will be movable.

There's probably a way to do it. Not that much of an issue for me though. I keep an road atlas book in my truck anyways. It covers the whole county, much more than I need.