I finally have a job interview! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I finally have a job interview!

Bushido5150
10-24-2011, 18:31
After almost a year out of the academy, and over $10,000 spent. I finally have an interview for a LEO job! Although its for the corrections side of a Sheriffs department I'm very exited. Wish me luck....oh and glazed or chocolate?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Patchman
10-24-2011, 18:34
Glazed. With tea, milk and no sugar. Never go for the powdered doughnuts. That's a rookie's mistake.

Good luck.

msu_grad_121
10-24-2011, 18:48
Congrats and good luck! Hope you like Brown. :rofl:

Vigilant
10-24-2011, 20:27
PM sent.

The book 'Newjack' is an excellent read for someone starting in Corrections. You can get it cheap on Ebay.

denn1911
10-24-2011, 20:32
Good luck! I hope that you get it.

steveksux
10-24-2011, 20:34
Congratulations!!! Good luck, (and Ixnay on the oggyday eanutpay utterbay)

Randy

Bushido5150
10-26-2011, 10:37
Well the interview is over. I feel like it went very well. So now the waiting game begins..:faint:

akapennypincher
10-26-2011, 10:40
Well the interview is over. I feel like it went very well. So now the waiting game begins..:faint:

Hope you get the job so your search for a LE Job is over.

Patchman
10-26-2011, 11:43
The interview is probably the most difficult. So, good and cograts.

Did you bring glazed or chocolate? Regular doughnuts or the holes? :)

Nick.45
10-26-2011, 15:26

How long are they making you wait? I had two interviews last week. I had on Wednesday morning and I got a call Friday afternoon informing me that I was moving on to the next phase, ride along, polygraph, etc. I then had another one on Thursday evening and received a letter Saturday morning informing me that I made the top ten and was on the certified list. Hope all goes well for you and you receive a speedy reply!

Bushido5150
10-26-2011, 15:32
How long are they making you wait? I had two interviews last week. I had on Wednesday morning and I got a call Friday afternoon informing me that I was moving on to the next phase, ride along, polygraph, etc. I then had another one on Thursday evening and received a letter Saturday morning informing me that I made the top ten and was on the certified list. Hope all goes well for you and you receive a speedy reply!

If I hear from them soon its a bad thing, otherwise it will be about a month before they start backgrounds. There are 10 positions open and they are looking to start half of the positions by January.

Nick.45
10-26-2011, 15:44
One of the departments I applied for flew through the application process. We tested on August 20th and they compiled their certified list on October 20th. And they don't have any openings until next April.

Hack
10-26-2011, 16:59
Good luck! New Jack was mentioned earlier. Did you get a copy?

And, chocolate glazed with plain glaze, or regular glazed; coffee strong and black, brewed without the chicory in it.:)

Bushido5150
10-26-2011, 21:19
Good luck! New Jack was mentioned earlier. Did you get a copy?

And, chocolate glazed with plain glaze, or regular glazed; coffee strong and black, brewed without the chicory in it.:)

I'm ordering it on payday. I've got to learn to like black coffee :crying:

Rabbi
10-26-2011, 21:30
How did you spend 10,000?

For what it is worth, if you are willing to take a job as a CO...they are begging for them around here. If you have a pulse and a clean(ish) record you can be working within a week in some of the counties around here.

Vigilant
10-26-2011, 21:47

For what it is worth, if you are willing to take a job as a CO...they are begging for them around here. If you have a pulse and a clean(ish) record you can be working within a week in some of the counties around here.

Sounds like the same hiring standards we have around here. They get what they pay for. Of course, it still might be a good place to start. Problem is, a lot can go wrong working with an outfit like that, even if you do everything right. Can you say 'fall guy'?

msu_grad_121
10-26-2011, 21:54

Between the cost of the academy, all the "peripherals," running around from place to place for job interviews, etc., I can see easily dropping 10k. And when you come out, you're given exactly zero guarantee or assistance in finding a job, and you've got to be sworn in within 365 days or you lose your cert and have to re-up...at a cost of 1500-2000 and a week of your time. Gotta love Michigan, huh? :upeyes:

Patchman
10-27-2011, 04:48
Between the cost of the academy, all the "peripherals," running around from place to place for job interviews, etc., I can see easily dropping 10k. And when you come out, you're given exactly zero guarantee or assistance in finding a job, and you've got to be sworn in within 365 days or you lose your cert and have to re-up...at a cost of 1500-2000 and a week of your time. Gotta love Michigan, huh? :upeyes:

I know I've said this before, but that's the part that I still can't grasp. I can see spending your own $10K if at the end a job was guaranteed, or reasonably certain. But to go in the process blind... That takes a lot of commitment.

Bushido5150
10-27-2011, 07:09

$10,000 is really being conservative.
$9000 for school and academy.
$850 for academy uniforms.
$300 for pre academy testing.
$75 for post academy testing.
$500+ for jobs I've tested for.
Thats not to mention all the gas, food, hotel rooms, suits (thanks lawman for suit advice) etc....

Then to top it all off my cert runs out october 30th. So looking at $1500 more to recert.

But I do have an associates degree from all this, and it will be well worth it when I finally get sworn in somewhere.

Hack
10-27-2011, 09:59
I'm ordering it on payday. I've got to learn to like black coffee :crying:

I usually get mine black at places that use non dairy creamer only, or just milk. I don't always care for half and half or milk in my coffee or black tea although I may tolerate it, (half and half is regular strength milk to me). I actually like real cream, not the namby pamby stuff.

That's why at work I usually get my coffee strong and black. The namby pamby stuff messes up the taste of good coffee, where real cream accentuates the flavour.

And, good for you for ordering that book. Get this one too:
http://www.amazon.com/Games-Criminals-Play-Profit-Knowing/dp/0960522603

Rabbi
10-27-2011, 11:11
$10,000 is really being conservative.
$9000 for school and academy.
$850 for academy uniforms.
$300 for pre academy testing.
$75 for post academy testing.
$500+ for jobs I've tested for.
Thats not to mention all the gas, food, hotel rooms, suits (thanks lawman for suit advice) etc....

Then to top it all off my cert runs out october 30th. So looking at $1500 more to recert.

But I do have an associates degree from all this, and it will be well worth it when I finally get sworn in somewhere.

Ah, I see, you are throwing a college degree into your numbers.

Bushido5150
10-27-2011, 13:15
Ah, I see, you are throwing a college degree into your numbers.

That is how it works in Michigan. The academy was about $4800 (not including uniforms).

msu_grad_121
10-27-2011, 15:35
I know I've said this before, but that's the part that I still can't grasp. I can see spending your own $10K if at the end a job was guaranteed, or reasonably certain. But to go in the process blind... That takes a lot of commitment.

Commitment, or blind faith? I don't have to tell Bushido that right now is perhaps the worst time to find a cop job in the state of Michigan EVER.

And Rabbi, even without the degree, an academy can come close to 10k real fast. Figure like this:
6,200 for tuition (just went up from 5,500)
200-250 for uniforms
150-200 for weapon rental (not applicable everywhere)
200 for vehicle rental for EVO (see above)
100 for heart rate monitor (see above)
75 for licensing exam
45 for pre-enrollment physical agility test
50 for pre-enrollment written test
50 x 2 for pre-enrollment physical exams (more if you've had reconstructive surgeries - ask me how I know)
Sundry costs for running shoes, boots, duty belt, gym equipment, etc.

And after it's all said and done, you're more than likely not to get a job when you come out, so toss in at least another 1,500 for a recert class. And bonus - most states will take a MI cert, but only after you've been working full time for a year.

But wouldja believe this is an improvement over the way it was less than a decade ago?

Yeah, commitment is one way to put it, I guess. Another way is that we're nuckin futs!

Bushido5150
10-27-2011, 17:22
Police academies and police testing are big business here in Michigan. Even though there are no jobs they keep pumping out a ton of recruits every year.
But it is not going to stop me.

msu_grad_121
10-27-2011, 22:35
Police academies and police testing are big business here in Michigan. Even though there are no jobs they keep pumping out a ton of recruits every year.

Didn't mean to sounds like you should stop, and I apologize if it came off that way. From what I've been told, your attitude is the one to have for sure! Let me know how that recert class is. Ugh...

Bushido5150
10-27-2011, 23:37
Didn't mean to sounds like you should stop, and I apologize if it came off that way. From what I've been told, your attitude is the one to have for sure! Let me know how that recert class is. Ugh...

Oh no I didn't think that at all

Rabbi
10-28-2011, 01:16

That is sad. We do the same thing in Texas...pay your way and hope to find a job...and the Academies are pumping out as many people as they can for less and less jobs. The only salvation is you can get through an Academy for $2500 or so total.

COBRA90GT
10-28-2011, 01:26
Academies are almost $5000 now around here? Damn...

msu_grad_121
10-28-2011, 01:47
Academies are almost $5000 now around here? Damn...

OVER 5k, if you don't go thru a program where it's rolled into your Associate's Degree, a la Ferris.

EMTCOP
10-28-2011, 02:59
Most agencies in Florida will only hire certified officers, and there are a LOT of community college based law enforcement academies. That is how I got
started in law enforcement. I think my total academy cost was around 2k.
I had a job by the time I graduated, but almost every LE agency in Florida was hiring then.