LE Job interview type books etc? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LE Job interview type books etc?

Crazy_Horse
10-24-2011, 21:04
I just graduated from the local police academy as a self sponsor recruit and im looking for some books to prepare me for the interview process, oral boards and such. Im looking for a book that covers all the bases, if there even is one. Hope thats not too vague, thanks for the help guys!

Ajon412
10-24-2011, 21:31
You might want to give these guys a look-see. I used them to prepare my Resume several years ago (which I wanted done professionally) and I was extremely happy with their service...Good Luck...:wavey:

http://www.policecareer.com/

scottydl
10-24-2011, 22:49
Experience is a better guide than any book can teach... and although there are similarities, every department does their interviews a little differently so I don't think any book can cover ALL the bases without overwhelming you with information. Make SURE you know the basics "Why do you want to be a LEO?" and "What is your 5-year plan?" etc. so those answers just flow off your tongue. Otherwise police interviews are often designed to make you think on your feet, giving an honest well-thought answer quickly and not a "right" or "wrong" answer.

collim1
10-25-2011, 00:45
I used a book called "Police Officer" when I was preparing for my hiring process. It helped alot, unfortuanately I passed it along to several recruits over the years and lost track of it. I dont remember the publishing company, but I am pretty sure they release an updated version every few years.

http://www.careerpoliceofficer.com/

Give that link a look, it may not be the same one I used years ago, but looks similar.

blueiron
10-25-2011, 01:43
A book will not prepare you for an oral interview with a particular agency. It can only provide the most generalized and likely questions asked by whomever the author contacted.

Go and research the agency you want to work at. Learn about the Chief, his/her education and experience, and their philosophy or law enforcement. Many will have published Master's degree thesis works to peruse. Learn who is head of various sections or bureaus. Know something about the town, city, county, or State that the agency serves. Get a policy manual and look over patrol policies and basic personnel policies for your potential employer.

Know yourself especially. Identify and play to your strengths. Identify your weaknesses and begin to officially address them - if you don't have a college degree, apply and being taking classes. Show that you have employed a personal trainer to become more physically fit or signed on at a gym and be prepared to detail your progress to your interviewers. Go and buy a conservative business suit - white shirt preferably, with an understated tie.

Your interviewers are professionals - do not BS them. They can smell it right off. Know your subjects and be polished and confident in your ability to deliver them back to your interviewers at request.

It isn't as easy or as simple as buying a book, but the interviewers will be impressed with your knowledge. Like college algebra, it takes hours of homework to pass the test. Do your homework diligently and watch it pay off.

scottydl
10-25-2011, 07:47
Go and research the agency you want to work at. Learn about the Chief, his/her education and experience, and their philosophy or law enforcement.

Very good advice. Almost all departments with websites will have this kind of information online, such as mission statements and strategic plans. Learn this stuff and try to understand it as much as possible, not so you can just rattle it off in an interview (that may seem insincere) but so you can refer to those items and weave the information into your responses.

Panzergrenadier1979
10-25-2011, 08:44
Expect to be caught in a "gotcha" moment by the board. Don't change your answer! Be able to articulate WHY you made your decision and stick with it.