1st time using simunitions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1st time using simunitions.

Panzergrenadier1979
10-25-2011, 08:40
A local National Guard unit regularly hosts active shooter training, using simunitions, in an abandoned airport terminal and my PD is trying to get all our officers through. Last night was my turn: I have to say, this was probably the best, no-nonsense LE training Iíve ever had. It wasnít so much ďtrainingĒ as it was putting together everything Iíve learned in class-room and hands-on training classes. My only worry came when we were issued our weapons; M9 Berettas.

Iím a dyed-in-the-wool Glockoholic and I was immediately worried that using a different weapons platform that used a DAO/SAO trigger would screw with my head. We were given 5 rounds to practice with and, though I could hit my target, I HATED that long DAO trigger pull.

We ended up running through 7 or 8 scenarios that ranged from a burglar alarm, to an EPD scenario, to several full blown active shooter scenarios complete with screaming civilians running around in a panic. We ended the session with several felony traffic stops. All the scenarios were set up with a strong likelihood of gunfire but we were able to get a couple of the shooters to surrender peacefully.

As to the M9 Beretta: I am now convinced that what matters is the level of training & practice that an officer receives with a handgun and NOT the weapon itself. Once the shooting started I never noticed the long, initial trigger pull nor did I notice the annoying switch from the heavy DOA pull to the light SAO trigger pull. It was simply a matter of putting the front sight on the target and then placing rounds on target until the threat went down. Even the magazine changes occurred without conscious thought.

I will be writing a glowing email to my chief later today. Hopefully weíll get to do more of this in the future.

PinkoCommie
10-25-2011, 08:59
There is simply no substitute for simunitions training. With a well thought out scenario, it is the best preparation possible for real-world calls that might involve the use of deadly physical force. It's good to hear you enjoyed it.

jellis11
10-25-2011, 09:07
The 92 was the first handgun I ever bought as soon as I turned 21. The long pull was something I got used to very quickly but now that I have glock and SA's it is a chore the first time to use when shooting. Like you say, it's just knowing and using the firearm.

Morris
10-25-2011, 10:50
Not just Simunition(r) training but the reality that Force on Force training should be mandatory for any copper out there.

But getting nailed with a sim round and seeing where (if you didn't feel it) can give you pause to think.

Wait until you shoot yourself in the elbow for some real lessons in muzzle discipline . . . a story for another day.

Hoser423
10-25-2011, 11:00
Absolutely excellent tool, red guns or plugged barrels are miles behind.
I'm glad we've got a shelf full... keeping the shelf safe since they were brand new.:steamed:

series1811
10-25-2011, 11:47
There is simply no substitute for simunitions training. With a well thought out scenario, it is the best preparation possible for real-world calls that might involve the use of deadly physical force. It's good to hear you enjoyed it.

It is the best training I ever had. I first had it in 1988 and then pretty much every year since. If I could only have regular simmunitions training, or time on the range, I think I would take the simmunitions training.

Agent6-3/8
10-25-2011, 12:05
Another +1 for simunitions! Teaches you alot about functioning under stress.

WVSP Academy, who trains all WV LE, uses it extensively through out their officer survivabilty training. We used convered 3rd gen S&W's. (5906's as I recall) They were just getting Glock 17's when I went through. My only complaint is that I only got to shoot one of my instructors! :supergrin:

fastbolt
10-25-2011, 12:49
I had much the same experience.

I was handed a pistol of another make/model (converted for sim) than I normally owned or was issued. Naturally, being a sim gun, and being thrust into the middle of a multiple shooter/ambush scenario, it immediately experienced a double feed. :rofl:

Fortunately, having worked with a variety of handguns as both owner & instructor, and having been relentlessly drilled by my former senior (ret) instructor in all manner of annoying techniques, I was able to resolve the stoppage and get the gun back into the fight, while also managing to move and avoid being shot. I took one shooter "out" with a tightly spaced double and forced another to cover, where he remained, unable to effectively shoot back until the scenario was halted.

When I returned to my agency I thanked the senior instructor for all the attention and work he'd invested in us as training staff, and the things he required of us. ;)

Wil Ufgood
10-25-2011, 13:07
We have video running for our students when we run them through a sims house scenario, audio also. After the scenario is complete we'll review it as a group. No bashing, just back and forth observations. I found it an excellent tool for both instructor and student. If you have an opportunity, definitely try to watch yourself perform.

Mattz
10-25-2011, 14:43
We did simunition training in low light scenario's... very tense. What sucked worse was being handed an old crappy face mask which fogged up and a nasty rag that was supposed to protect your throat.

unit 900
10-25-2011, 15:16
We did simunition training in low light scenario's... very tense. What sucked worse was being handed an old crappy face mask which fogged up and a nasty rag that was supposed to protect your throat.

Make sure to bring an old, nasty pair of socks to put down the front of your trousers if a protective cup isn't issued. I have used a paperback book to good effect. A SIMS round can cause irreparable damage to the hanging appendages. Really. :wow: