Thought Provoking Read - Violence Geeks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thought Provoking Read - Violence Geeks

HKLovingIT
10-25-2011, 11:28
I like this guy's site and the articles are well worth the read.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/violence_geeks.htm

Synopsis: many are on the quest for the ultimate 'tool', whatever that is at the moment, that can assure the owner of immunity from scary situations, physical harm or dealing with coarse reality. A natural human reaction I would say but I think the point of the article is that he states there are those whom he calls "violence geeks" who become fanatically involved in the minutia of all these things and are on the one hand itching to pull the trigger or draw a blade, but then again are actually very terrified of the world in general, and are somewhat damaged individuals. He considers them rather dangerous as they can quickly act out of fear way out of proportion to a situation or out of anger as they vent a lifetime of frustration.

They are "geeks" in the same way someone might be a D&D geek or sports geek. He's talking someone with an immersion beyond a hobby but immersed in it like a fan of a particular team that can recite all the batting averages from a pennant winning lineup, etc. Except these guys are retreating into the world of weapons as a means to insulate themselves from the world or their feelings.

I like some of the points he makes in this and other articles, such as, just because you're scared of a situation or someone, doesn't mean lethal force was justified.

Good stuff.

Read for yourselves.

LApm9
10-25-2011, 16:14
Excellent material. Thanks for posting it.

BailRecoveryAgent
10-26-2011, 00:06
Does anyone know where I can get one of those knives that shoot a deadly burst of CO2 into someone when you stab them with it?

That could definitely come in handy if you're walking along and you have to light up a skinny that's all up in your grill.

Cavalry Doc
10-26-2011, 19:57
Coming from someone that has been shot at, many times, by things you cannot buy even with a class III license, on the ground and in the air, I have a couple pearls of wisdom.

You are inadequate against superior numbers or superior equipment. No shame there, but when you are outgunned, you are outgunned.

I tell people that they have cancer from 1 to 3 times a week. I deal with dying people several times a week.

One sure thing, we all die at least once. It's a rule, trust me. The trick is to avoid dying of anything you could have prevented.

Live healthy, be good to those around you. Be careful as you can, without making yourself a basket case.

Life ain't worth as much if you aren't having a good time. Have some fun too.

Bruce M
10-27-2011, 09:37
One sure thing, we all die at least once. It's a rule, trust me. The trick is to avoid dying of anything you could have prevented.

Live healthy, be good to those around you. Be careful as you can, without making yourself a basket case.

Life ain't worth as much if you aren't having a good time. Have some fun too.

Sagacious and wise advice, Sir.

H&K 4 LIFE
10-27-2011, 09:51
At first I disliked the way the author seemed to broadly categorize all those who train with knives as "violence geeks", but upon reading other articles featured on the site, came away with a better understanding of what he was trying to convey.

I found the other articles on the site about knife fighting to be both level headed in nature and very informative. Thanks for the link. :)

FireGuy
10-27-2011, 09:54
The knife is available at www.waspknife.com. It's only $499.95 :wow:

Cavalry Doc
10-27-2011, 10:30
The knife is available at www.waspknife.com. It's only $499.95 :wow:

Dang!! You could get a new glock for that much.

DonGlock26
10-29-2011, 22:10
Can I exchange the CO2 for Raid?

_

LongGoneDays
10-29-2011, 22:50
Does anyone know where I can get one of those knives that shoot a deadly burst of CO2 into someone when you stab them with it?

That could definitely come in handy if you're walking along and you have to light up a skinny that's all up in your grill.

Get a job as an extra on any of the CSI type shows. All of them have done an episode on them like they discovered some fascinating new weapon, surely they have a few laying around you can swipe :rofl: