Escondido police brutally murder Bambi in front of school children [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Escondido police brutally murder Bambi in front of school children

The-Fly
10-25-2011, 12:47
:tbo:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/25/injured-deer-shot-and-killed-escondido-police/

Morris
10-25-2011, 14:14
Surprised the Kali EcoNuts and Animal Huggers aren't already protesting in front of EPD . . .

Kadetklapp
10-25-2011, 14:17
Why is this news?

Between my time working the road and working part time as a wrecker driver, I have shot more deer than at any point in my youth while hunting.

And then people show up and fight over the carcass.

The-Fly
10-25-2011, 15:01
Why is this news?

Between my time working the road and working part time as a wrecker driver, I have shot more deer than at any point in my youth while hunting.

Because its in San Diego, and southern California is militantly anti hunting and anti gun.

Patchman
10-25-2011, 17:53
The male deer ran off and was later seen trying to jump a fence at the school. The campus was put on lockdown, and the students were kept inside their classrooms, Carter said.Is it now politically incorrect to call it a buck?

School went into lockdown because a boy/guy deer was spotted on it's campus? Would the school have done that for a girl/gal deer?

WarCry
10-25-2011, 20:04
Because its in San Diego, and southern California is militantly anti hunting and anti gun.

Don't know about anyone else, but this phrasing struck me as amusing....

Hack
10-25-2011, 20:54
Don't know about anyone else, but this phrasing struck me as amusing....

I see. :supergrin:

CAcop
10-25-2011, 21:11
Why is this news?

Because this happened in coastal, meaning urban CA. There are very few deer hit by cars on that half of CA. In my 14 years at my PD I have heard of exactly one deer being shot by my PD. There have been mabye 6 deer hit by cars as they come into town. And we are at the edge of civilization in the Bay Area where I work. From one edge of town there isn't a city for at least 30 miles. We actually get called to mountain lion and bobcat sightings (people don't know the difference between the two sometimes) more than deer vs. car incidents. We get called to the mountain lion sightings because they do attack people out in the woods around here from time to time. They also like to munch on dogs and cats.

You really have to go way up into the sierras to run into a lot of deer. Or out in the boonies of our county. One in the city? That is rare.

OLY-M4gery
10-26-2011, 02:52
Because this happened in coastal, meaning urban CA. There are very few deer hit by cars on that half of CA. In my 14 years at my PD I have heard of exactly one deer being shot by my PD. There have been mabye 6 deer hit by cars as they come into town. And we are at the edge of civilization in the Bay Area where I work. From one edge of town there isn't a city for at least 30 miles. We actually get called to mountain lion and bobcat sightings (people don't know the difference between the two sometimes) more than deer vs. car incidents. We get called to the mountain lion sightings because they do attack people out in the woods around here from time to time. They also like to munch on dogs and cats.

You really have to go way up into the sierras to run into a lot of deer. Or out in the boonies of our county. One in the city? That is rare.

Yeah, he fell in with a bad herd, loved to frolic in meadows, was turning his life around.....................

CAcop
10-26-2011, 06:12
Yeah, he fell in with a bad herd, loved to frolic in meadows, was turning his life around.....................

He was going back to school to get his GED.

x_out86
10-26-2011, 06:24
Why is this news?

Agreed. If they wanted to write a news story about every time a deer gets put down by us, they would be writing 2-3 stories a day on average.

Kadetklapp
10-26-2011, 06:37
Heck, I can go into the various ballistic abilities of .45/.40/.357 Magnum vs a deer head. I've used all three to dispatch suicidal deer on the roadside.

One Christmas night I was not on duty for the PD, but I was at home on-call with the wrecker. Got called to assist with removing a stuck deer from a roadside ditch. It was apparently stuck in the mud and snow. I get there and there is this HUGE 10-12 point buck obviously very pissed off, up to it's hips in muck, unable to get out. They wanted me to extend my boom out and use a snatch rope to lift this critter out. Number 1, I'm not getting anywhere near a live undomesticated buck with a rack that big, 2 he was really pissed off, and 3 he's not stuck in the muck, his back legs are broke from someone running his ass over. The hippie family who called it in was mortified when I smoked it with my G21C. The road deputy showed up and called his wife to bring his truck so he could load it up and take it home. Said it was the best looking deer he saw all season.

OLY-M4gery
10-26-2011, 06:45
Agreed. If they wanted to write a news story about every time a deer gets put down by us, they would be writing 2-3 stories a day on average.

We are the highest car/deer accident county in the state of Wisconsin. No shortage of them around here!

Really? What County is that?

x_out86
10-26-2011, 06:54
Really? What County is that?
PM sent.

Hedo1
10-26-2011, 07:25
I stopped last year when a woman hit a deer with her car and it must have shatered the back legs. The animal pulled itself a few yards on it's front legs and just laid down, still alive.

This lady was screaming bloody murder to call 911 and get a vet to the accident right now! I told her to go back to her car and make that call and then I dispatched it. She almost passed out. I consoled her and said it was the humane thing to do. Vets don't make roadside calls.

Kadetklapp
10-26-2011, 07:51
I stopped last year when a woman hit a deer with her car and it must have shatered the back legs. The animal pulled itself a few yards on it's front legs and just laid down, still alive.

This lady was screaming bloody murder to call 911 and get a vet to the accident right now! I told her to go back to her car and make that call and then I dispatched it. She almost passed out. I consoled her and said it was the humane thing to do. Vets don't make roadside calls.

It's sad that people don't understand that. We don't have the luxury of waiting on a vet even if there was one in our AO. I don't hunt anymore, I'm too fuzzy towards critters, but I'll put an injured critter down without hesitation.

Morris
10-26-2011, 10:08
True, a deer in an urban part of Escondido is fairly big news, like .5 inches of snow in Seattle. But deer are a nuisance in rural parts (wish I could get one to snack on the blackberries in my backyard but noooooo, not a chance . . . ). Heck, we had some EcoTwits trying to harass the local game agent when he had to go into the neighborhood to cull some aggressive coyotes.

True urbanites are some of the stupidest people when it comes to putting an injured or dying animal down. They'd rather the animal suffer a painful death waiting for a vet rather than to humanely end it there.

Patchman
10-26-2011, 11:38
I've used all three to dispatch suicidal deer...

This just struck me as funny. :supergrin:

Suicide-by-cop.

Morris
10-26-2011, 15:39
We have suicidal squirrels, raccoons and possums by the gazzilion around here. They're giving the lemmings a run for the money.

britmullet
10-26-2011, 16:08
San Pasqual High is in between a fairly large park and a golf course in S. Escondido. There has always been lots of wildlife in that area. There is also quite a bit of uninhabited land to the south.

This really should be no big surprise.

OLY-M4gery
10-26-2011, 17:13
San Pasqual High is in between a fairly large park and a golf course in S. Escondido. There has always been lots of wildlife in that area. There is also quite a bit of uninhabited land to the south.

No big suprise? It sounds like you are profiling deer based on species. You should be ashamed.

CAcop
10-26-2011, 18:50

Its like the people living on the east coast on a fault who flip out over a quake that wouldn't even wake up most folks in CA.

nikerret
10-26-2011, 19:51
Middle of KS, finishing off deer is the norm (if someone doesn't finnish it before we get to it).

The worst I've done is found a large buck (around a ten point) with one of its rear legs dangling behind him as he tried to get to the woodline. I decided to use the AR in case he managed to get out of pistol range. Of course, this had to be on a large curve with limited visibility in both directions. By the time I got into the ditch and near the deer, I could only see the top half of my car. The damn thing was thrashing about and walking (sort of) on three legs. I shot once in the lungs/heart to take it down and took a second shot to the back of the head to end it. I turned back toward my car to see a school bus full of grade school kids plasatered against the bus windows. Priceless looks on all faces involved, I'm sure. The driver felt it was necessary to wait until I had returned to my car and unloaded and secured the AR before following me down the roadway. Never heard a word about it.

janice6
10-26-2011, 19:55
What a headline! They think the deer should have been left to die an agonizing death while everyone watched.............Some people.

EOD3
10-26-2011, 21:02
I sure hope they used solid copper (no pun intended) bullets. The enviro-nazis will be on them like white on rice if they feed "lead poisoned" meat to those magnificent endangered wolves. :faint:

SDforce
10-27-2011, 01:02
I used to work the east end out there in Esco. It wasn't all that uncommon to see wildlife. Heck, I put down a deer on the side of the road in Scripps Ranch with a Benelli. There was no news story about that!

Mayhem like Me
10-27-2011, 10:41
I have one question after reading that article, do Mexican grey wolves come over and take deer American wolves won't eat????

rookie1
10-27-2011, 12:54
Here in Iowa it happens a lot. My Sgt. said I get the funny video of the year award. It was a baby deer that was hit and both back legs were broke. He was in the middle of a 2 lane road. Little deer, little skull. I had to move it with a broom to get it somewhere that would absorb the bullet when it exited. All while doing this I was talking to the deer and swearing at it asking it "how am I supposed to shoot you all the way over here on the concrete". There a lot more conversation between myself and the deer, quite funny after watching it but it didn't make the news. People around here also think there is a deer Dr that will nurse these things back to normal, they get a weird look on their face when we tell them "no, they probably should leave".

Kadetklapp
10-27-2011, 12:56
When the rut is on, it's not uncommon to hear over the radio "County, 10-8, animal has been dispatched, one round, forty caliber..."

Morris
10-27-2011, 17:47
I have one question after reading that article, do Mexican grey wolves come over and take deer American wolves won't eat????

:rofl::rofl:

When the rut is on, it's not uncommon to hear over the radio "County, 10-8, animal has been dispatched, one round, forty caliber..."

I wrote the story of one of ours needing 11 to dispatch a raccoon . . .

Chowser
10-27-2011, 18:43
this weekend a deer was struck by a car and had broken front legs. I had to shoo some lady away so I can shoot it.

This past summer, a deer with broken legs was in the parking lot of the middle school and the damn animals, I mean kids, were throwing rocks at it. After shooing the kids away, I put it down. Everyone present went right to the mayor and complained.

Whatever.

.357sig to the head puts them down every time.

WarCry
10-27-2011, 23:37
this weekend a deer was struck by a car and had broken front legs. I had to shoo some lady away so I can shoot it.

This past summer, a deer with broken legs was in the parking lot of the middle school and the damn animals, I mean kids, were throwing rocks at it. After shooing the kids away, I put it down. Everyone present went right to the mayor and complained.

Whatever.

I know it's pretty crappy, but come on, man, I think detention would have made the point....

:cool:

Kadetklapp
10-28-2011, 06:46

Whatever.

That seriously pisses me off. Kids these days see a suffering animal and their reaction is to abuse it by taunting it. That makes me sick. Then to have the gall to complain when the officer does what nature intended is just salt in the wound.