Vaccines You Have and One's You Want To Get [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vaccines You Have and One's You Want To Get

GTownGlockMan
10-25-2011, 13:36
I did a Google search for a list of vaccines available to Law Enforcement but didn't find what I was looking for. Was wondering what ya'll have gone ahead and been vaccinated against being an Officer and routinely being exposed to God knows what? I started my Hep A/B a couple years back but never went back for the boosters so that's on my list. What else is out there that might be a good idea to pick up?

Dealt with an arrestee who let me know several times of her positive Hep C status, had to be in latex for 4hrs.

UrbanOps
10-25-2011, 15:12
Im interested in this topic as well. I haven't had anything other than was was required for school years back.

Hack
10-25-2011, 16:09
To my knowledge there is nothing for Hep C. Hep A and Hep B I have been inoculated for. I don't know how long they are good for but the US Army and USARNG has inoculated me for yellow fever; bubonic plague; small pox; all of the boosters necessary for childhood inoculations. I keep tetanous boosters up to date; but I don't take flu shots. I tend to rely on naturapathic medicine concerning flu.

If you haven't had chicken pox I would suggest an inoculation for it. If you have had chicken pox then look out for shingles. If you are in the Southwest dengue fever sometimes comes from Mexico.

Keep up on your TB checks, and if you handle anyone with it get checked out right away. There are some virulent forms of TB.

Some of this is probably available through your county health centre.

m2hmghb
10-25-2011, 16:22
If you're prone to upper respiratory infections you may want to consider getting the pneumovax.

Newcop761
10-25-2011, 17:36
Yellow fever vaccine is required every 10 years. It might be good for life but the CDC/WHO Require it for travel to areas w/ yellow fever every ten years.

I got a vaccine for typhoid before traveling to Russia.

If it's been over 10 years since your Hep B series you might want to have the doc do a titer to check
your immunity.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hack
10-25-2011, 20:12
Yellow fever vaccine is required every 10 years. It might be good for life but the CDC/WHO Require it for travel to areas w/ yellow fever every ten years.

I got a vaccine for typhoid before traveling to Russia.

If it's been over 10 years since your Hep B series you might want to have the doc do a titer to check
your immunity.

When the yellow fever vaccine was still active in me I was not allowed to donate blood. I wonder if it still that way?

Good idea concerning the Hep B series. I will have to remember to mention that.

PrO...
10-25-2011, 20:31
I received a Hepatitis vaccine through my job.It's good for 10 years I think.

Hack
10-25-2011, 20:43
I received a Hepatitis vaccine through my job.It's good for 10 years I think.

When I initially received mine they were telling me at the county health centre that I was good for life. Now, including where I am at they are telling us to look in on things occasionally.:dunno:

Newcop761
10-25-2011, 21:47
The yellow fever vaccine is a live virus. I was told I had to wait 30 days after getting that vaccine to do ... something. :dunno:

Hunca Munca
10-26-2011, 09:45
Hepatitis B! Highest risk for infection! Hepatitis A is spread by fecal oral route so make your own decision. Also get DTAP which protects against tetanus diphtheria and whooping cough(pertussis). Also may want MMR (measles mumps rubella). No vaccine for Hepatitis C.

PrO...
10-30-2011, 12:38
When I initially received mine they were telling me at the county health centre that I was good for life. Now, including where I am at they are telling us to look in on things occasionally.:dunno:
Same here, there are some that say they are good for life but i'll check after 10 years.

Vigilant
10-30-2011, 12:52
I believe they told us the Hep B vax was good for 15 years, but that was some time ago. I believe I will start asking at the ten year mark. Hep B vax is optional for us, but one would be a fool not to get the shots. I did. They also have a mandatory TB test once a year.

Chico Bill
10-31-2011, 22:16
I had the Hep B vaccine. Get the Hep A one too. I can tell you from personal experience it's probably more fun then dealing with the actual illness...Especially when it happens just as you're planning to propose to your girlfriend. And yes...I got it at work in a custody environment.

(She said yes anyway....WOW)

BLACK Z
11-10-2011, 08:55
I got Hep B and was checked for TB, Being a Sheriffs office The Jail has a Medical Dept, That us guys from Patrol and the Civil Dept along with The Jail Deputys can Go in and get checked for TB when ever and they are the onces that also give us our shots if we like or we could pay our own Doctors.

I Know the Park Rangers and teh DEC guys have gotten Vac for Rabbies, Guess the last round alot of DEC Guys got sick and all got sick on the 26th day come to find out teh State gave them a bad batch.

merlynusn
11-10-2011, 09:37
I'd also get the Meningitis vaccine. I had the vaccine in college and then a couple years later I was exposed to it on an EMS run. I didn't take the Cipro like everyone else had to.

But what others have said. Hep A, Hep B, MMR, Tetnus.

I also have the Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Small Pox, etc. I'm like Hack. I refuse to take the flu shot because I always get the flu afterward.

Dragoon44
11-10-2011, 09:39
A vaccine against stupid since cops come in constant contact with it.

:supergrin:

PinkoCommie
11-10-2011, 10:05
A vaccine against stupid since cops come in constant contact with it.

:supergrin:

You develop that, and you will be a wealthy man!

Cav
11-10-2011, 13:37
I don't know how long they are good for but the US Army and USARNG has inoculated me for yellow fever; bubonic plague; small pox; all of the boosters necessary for childhood inoculations. I keep tetanous boosters up to date; but I don't take flu shots. I tend to rely on naturapathic medicine concerning flu.

One thing I liked about being on Active Duty and in the Guard was I got to deploy a lot, and have more shots than I ever cared to get and they stay up to date, but between Korea and Iraq I think I have been treated for everything, a few times over. My PD only does the flu shot every year. Everything else is done after an exposure, or if a doctor recomends it...

I have noticed a few trends though, those who get a lot of shots tend to not take time off for being sick often if at all, but we tend to have different medical health issues, and some have children with special needs at a higher level. VA says there is not a direct link, but I think that if you get to many shots for different things, you could do more harm than you need.