Finding it hard to carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finding it hard to carry

jms123
10-25-2011, 14:26
I can carry my extra weight or I can carry my gun.
there is just not enough room under my shirt for both.
I guess I better start hitting the treadmill after work.:faint:
wish me luck, its been awhile.

IGotIt
10-25-2011, 14:30
What do you have, a cannon? Put on a t-shirt, a shoulder holster, add an unbuttoned shirt over that and be gone.

VELO
10-25-2011, 14:33
You can do it! And it'll make all the difference in your carry comfort.

dosei
10-25-2011, 15:23
:cheerleader:Lose That Flab:cheerleader:

LongGoneDays
10-25-2011, 15:30
Wal Mart be sellin them bigger shirts for you. I know if I can carry my weight and gun you can too.

mrsurfboard
10-25-2011, 15:32
What do you have, a cannon? Put on a t-shirt, a shoulder holster, add an unbuttoned shirt over that and be gone.

Yeah, what are you trying to conceal. I'm pretty big and I can conceal a Glock 36 IWB with anything I wear.

ixer
10-25-2011, 15:51
i'm 5'11" @ 295lbs and carry G19 IWB (Whitehat Maxtuck (http://www.whitehatholsters.com/MaxTuck-IWB-Hybrid-Holster-Natural-Horsehide-p/maxtuck%20natural%20tan%20horsehide.htm))... No undershirt just a t-shirt / jeans + Wilderness Instructors belt

cowboy1964
10-25-2011, 16:06
One reason I carry the G26 more than anything else.

Toorop
10-25-2011, 21:31
It is good to see you taking steps to rectify being overweight.

Obesity is a huge issue and is far more dangerous to our safety then criminals. We are more likely to die due to cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, and other health related sicknesses then at the hands of a criminal. It is funny for me to see so many obese gun owners waddling around. I love to hear them tell me about crime rates and how they are safe. But the look on their face is priceless when I explain to them that obesity is a crime against the body.

Not to mention, we are the unorganized militia. It is shameful to see fatties as they are not taking their civil and civic responsibilities seriously.

Nakanokalronin
10-26-2011, 05:11
Lose the weight and you'll find out how much easier everything in your life is and how much better you'll feel. In the mean time, pocket carry until your ready to carry something bigger IWB.

IT0
10-26-2011, 05:36

I can relate.

jms123
10-26-2011, 07:10
Thanks for the support.

1canvas
10-26-2011, 13:30
You can do it! And it'll make all the difference in your carry comfort.
i lost over 30lbs and i can't believe how much more comfortable it is to carry now.

vafish
10-26-2011, 13:40
RULE #1 of Zombieland - Cardio

BailRecoveryAgent
10-26-2011, 14:00
RULE #1 of Zombieland - Cardio

http://www.zombielandrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/zombieland-rule-1.jpg

ancient_serpent
10-26-2011, 14:35
Most important weapon to take care of is yourself. Diet can kill you as sure as anything else.
Everyone dies eventually, don't let it be from something you can prevent.
Best of luck to you!

JJ.45
10-27-2011, 06:21
It is good to see you taking steps to rectify being overweight.

Obesity is a huge issue and is far more dangerous to our safety then criminals. We are more likely to die due to cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, and other health related sicknesses then at the hands of a criminal. It is funny for me to see so many obese gun owners waddling around. I love to hear them tell me about crime rates and how they are safe. But the look on their face is priceless when I explain to them that obesity is a crime against the body.

Not to mention, we are the unorganized militia. It is shameful to see fatties as they are not taking their civil and civic responsibilities seriously.

This.

barstoolguru
10-27-2011, 09:13
get a belly band and carry up in the ribcage under the arm

BailRecoveryAgent
10-27-2011, 10:55
Getting rid of the love handles will make carrying so much more comfortable and make concealment much easier.

Good luck!

:nsb::treadmill::cheerleader:

VELO
10-27-2011, 11:17
:nsb::treadmill::cheerleader:

Lift weights+Do some cardio=get the cheerleader? :supergrin:

Steve50
10-27-2011, 11:20
If your goal of concealed carry, results in enhancing your ability to lose weight, you may want to write a book...

BailRecoveryAgent
10-27-2011, 11:30

Exactly!

IT0
10-27-2011, 12:11
Thanks for the support.

If you are big enough you can use an OWB holster at 11 or 12 with a 30 cant on the holster. Then your gut and oversize shirt will hide a gun quite nicely.

Dont ask me how I know this.

highfructosecornsyrp
10-27-2011, 12:19
find a form of exercise that you enjoy and do it for the rest of your life.

Stop drinking soda and other sweet drinks-it's just liquid candy.

Stop drinking alcohol.

BailRecoveryAgent
10-27-2011, 12:35
find a form of exercise that you enjoy and do it for the rest of your life.

Stop drinking soda and other sweet drinks-it's just liquid candy.

Stop drinking alcohol.

Special emphasis on the bold part, I'm familiar with that one, the other two, well I don't drink soda or alcohol so those are non issues for me.

Going to the gym or your own exercise room everyday gets stale, and your body will plateau. Hike a trail one day, lifts weights the next, play in a pick-up basketball game, ride a bike etc. Keep the body suprised by the exercises, and by doing something different all the time it doesn't become blah to go workout.

IT0
10-27-2011, 19:37
I really hate all the lose weight crap, sorry but I just hate it. My weight has gone from panda bear to lean then back again so many times I have lost count. The topic, the ONLY topic was how to carry when fat, not how to address why we are fat. PLEASE Mr. MOD keep this on topic.

OP... I have been in an uncomfortable situation lately, dealing with some very sketchy folks, and have felt the need to carry. The problem has been easy access, not being obvious, and getting in and out of my truck while packing.

The easiest has been the Mexican carry, ie in the belt in the front. If I were about 20lbs heavier it would be easier to do OWB but I am in a slimming down trend, so in the pants have been better.

This has worked well so far, it slips in and out pretty easily and you can experiment with placement. Note you can find them cheaper on the net:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Inside-the-Pants-wClip-Holster,1517,1418.htm

VELO
10-28-2011, 11:16
I really hate all the lose weight crap...

The topic, the ONLY topic was how to carry when fat, not how to address why we are fat.

Really? From the OP:

Seems the OP is indeed trying to address why he's a bit rotund.

PLEASE Mr. MOD keep this on topic.

I think they're doing a pretty good job already.

Relax man. It ain't worth the stress! :wavey:

The easiest has been the Mexican carry, ie in the belt in the front.

I agree with this one. I lost about 20 lbs a while back and started carrying this way. I love it.

Indy_Guy_77
10-28-2011, 12:43
FYI: The best way to guarantee weight loss is to quit consuming so much.

Weight loss is done in the kitchen; fitness is done "at the gym".

Two years ago, I was pushing 295. (at 6'4", I was big...but "carried it well")

Now I'm down to 235 and have gone from a 40" waist to 36".

Exercising certainly didn't hurt me any, but the main thing was a whole-sale dietary change.

-J-

Bullwinkle J Moose
10-29-2011, 09:03

You need to think outside your self-constructed box. There are several possible solutions and they do not involve rocket science.

unit1069
10-30-2011, 08:30
Most important weapon to take care of is yourself. Diet can kill you as sure as anything else.
Everyone dies eventually, don't let it be from something you can prevent.
Best of luck to you!

"Diet can kill you ... ".

True, but I'll add "lack of exercise" to "diet" as the combination that led to my suffering a heart attack/operation in Spring 2010, with a second operation four months later. I smoked an occasional cigar (and seem to have been increasing the frequency) but didn't think puffing without inhaling was too much of a health threat. I was wrong about that as every doctor I've seen since then says giving up tobacco in any form is the single best thing a person can do for his/her health.

Since then I've dropped 50 pounds and because I didn't suffer any apparent heart damage I consider the whole episode a blessing in disguise. Now I watch what I eat and exercise at least 2 hours every evening. What I'm most concerned with now is staving off the boredom of routine and taking seriously the challenge of keeping the weight off as statistics divide the group into "losers" and "long-term losers".

It's no fun being old and ugly, but it's even less fun being old, fat, and ugly waiting passively for severe health shocks and avoiding fun things to do because of the condition I am responsible for.

And it is easier for me to CCW; I still have all my old clothes and just yesterday when I was out and about I was carrying my S9-A1 and I wasn't printing at all wearing a nice (but now-"full cut") shirt I always liked. I couldn't have worn this shirt and carried a year and a half ago. And during that same time I've had the good fortune to go from carrying an almost reliable ultra small 9mm pistol to top-quality, reliable sub-compact/compact options.

PS: Don't kick yourself over start-stop efforts; I've read that this is common with a lot of folks before some of them set a good routine. I told myself many times over the past 20 years I was going to become more active and made some good starts before I let myself fall back into couch potato stops. For me it took a serious health crisis before I changed my diet/exercise pattern to an active, positive routine from a passive, destructive pattern. I wish I had the willpower and determination some of you others have instead of having to go the hospital/surgery route.

PPS: Best advice of all from another Glock Talk member.

One sure thing, we all die at least once. It's a rule, trust me. The trick is to avoid dying of anything you could have prevented.

Live healthy, be good to those around you. Be careful as you can, without making yourself a basket case.

Life ain't worth as much if you aren't having a good time. Have some fun too. (Cavalry Doc (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18088909&postcount=4))

GlockOnBoard
11-02-2011, 10:22
IMO cardio is key to being healthy. :treadmill:

Jim S.
11-06-2011, 11:57
Look, you need to explain to the bad guys that you cannot play with them until you lose enough weight to carry a gun.
What kind of crap is this?
I am 290 + pounds and I comfortably carry a G21 in a Crossbreed Supertuck.
What is your problem?

Chuck66
11-08-2011, 11:41
If you are big enough you can use an OWB holster at 11 or 12 with a 30 cant on the holster. Then your gut and oversize shirt will hide a gun quite nicely.

Dont ask me how I know this.

The guy who taught my carry permit class had a, well, enormous belly is how I would describe it, and he carries like this. He had a Kel-Tec P32 in a holster he made just for that purpose under his belly. He literally had to lift up his belly and reach under to draw it.

mace85
11-09-2011, 03:47
As a weight loser and resolved type 2 diabetic I can say that losing the weight was the best thing I did. It was a pretty radical lifestyle change from the diet perspective, but I can't believe how much better I feel. And really it wasn't a ton of weight (no pun intended) to keep me off of chronic meds. And to those who believe weight loss and CCW are not related. I will offer this, how many gun fights are dynamic? And would it not to be easier to shoot and move well with a less extra weight around, if you have to carry your gun under the belly, how much flexibility and range of motion have you lost. From personal experience, if you have trouble with shoe laces, a life and death fight will be a pain in the arse....

unit1069
11-13-2011, 09:19
And to those who believe weight loss and CCW are not related. I will offer this, how many gun fights are dynamic?

Good question. I've read many comments about competitive shooting events where the contestants have to shoot while moving through a course. I'm sure GT members who have competed can comment on shooting while moving.

ponders
11-13-2011, 10:04

.... i see what you did there :whistling:

dakrat
11-13-2011, 15:05
#1 killer in America is not guns. its cholesterol

carrying a gun to protect your life while living an unhealthy lifestyle is contradicting..

you can do it bud!

flyingillini
11-13-2011, 15:26
#1 killer in America is not guns. its cholesterol

carrying a gun to protect your life while living an unhealthy lifestyle is contradicting..

you can do it bud!

Actually its probably sugar and a sedentary lifestyle.

southern_boy
11-13-2011, 15:30
im 5'10 and 350 or so pounts and carry IWB daily with no problem...

unit1069
11-13-2011, 15:51
im 5'10 and 350 or so pounts and carry IWB daily with no problem...

Please forgive me for commenting, but before I suffered a heart attack in April 2010 a little voice in my head had been telling me for a few years, "The food you're eating is killing you".

I ignored that little voice and after my first heart operation when I had the heart attack I thought I had a second lease on life. So I continued my normal routine and in four months I had to undergo a second heart operation.

My intent isn't to be judgmental; it's not about how well you CCW a pistol to save your life. My comments are meant to help you save your life as your physical condition --- like mine prior to the second operation --- is a much greater threat to your life than the chance you'll be involved in a self-defense shooting.

Best wishes, southern boy, and I truly mean it. Self-recrimination while laying on the operating room gurney was one of the most regrettable moments in my life and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. That moment impacted me to the degree that I pray devotedly every day for a period of time, thanking God for not only sparing me but for leading me to alter my lifestyle. I know some people will scoff at my conversion but until you've experienced a conversion like that it's difficult to understand and accept. It's real, believe me; and I do wish you the very best, my friend.

dakrat
11-13-2011, 21:38
Please forgive me for commenting, but before I suffered a heart attack in April 2010 a little voice in my head had been telling me for a few years, "The food you're eating is killing you".

I ignored that little voice and after my first heart operation when I had the heart attack I thought I had a second lease on life. So I continued my normal routine and in four months I had to undergo a second heart operation.

My intent isn't to be judgmental; it's not about how well you CCW a pistol to save your life. My comments are meant to help you save your life as your physical condition --- like mine prior to the second operation --- is a much greater threat to your life than the chance you'll be involved in a self-defense shooting.

Best wishes, southern boy, and I truly mean it. Self-recrimination while laying on the operating room gurney was one of the most regrettable moments in my life and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. That moment impacted me to the degree that I pray devotedly every day for a period of time, thanking God for not only sparing me but for leading me to alter my lifestyle. I know some people will scoff at my conversion but until you've experienced a conversion like that it's difficult to understand and accept. It's real, believe me; and I do wish you the very best, my friend.

great advice from experience. Glad you came out of that battle victorious.

Gunnut 45/454
11-14-2011, 10:37
I'm going to be sexist I say just get the chearleader FOR THE CARDIO!!:rofl::supergrin::rofl:

Jollymann
11-14-2011, 19:52
Just wanted to add that I combine my packing with some exercise on hikes. I usually have some water, a knife, a web belt, and naturally the pistol of the day. I never really thought of my being so fat it would interfer. I'm about 12 lbs off my highest at 172 lbs and 5'11" now.--Derek J.

Jollymann
11-14-2011, 19:54
Just to make sure I don't let it sit too much I have been known to pack the big .44 Smith and Wesson under a jacket in the city. With the right jacket I can hide it pretty good. Just can't take it off without looking like a mobster!--DMJ

steve581581
11-14-2011, 20:15
I lost 50lbs a couple years ago. Everything from confidence to tying your shoes is a lot better. If I put my old clothes I can conceal a bazooka. Loose the wait.

MoneyMaker
12-25-2011, 18:15
get bigger pants and or shirt and dont worry if you print,dont think the ccw law says you cant print it says you must conceal and not carry openly

ColCol
12-25-2011, 18:33
I can identify with some of the posts here. Less than ten years ago I was told by my family doc during an exam that a pulse couldn't be detected in my left foot and she had me see a vascular doc. He confirmed it and had test run. To make a very long story short, I had a stoppage in my left leg in that main artery and had to have a bypass done. It was too bad to have the balloon thing done.

My cholesterol was over 250 at that point and triglycerides ere around 585. I weighted about 190 and I'm just 5' 9". Not long after this I was told I was borderline diabetic. I was told I could get control of it by diet and rather than add yet another pill to my diet and possibly have to take insulin shots forevermore, I decided to drastically change my diet. I had drank regular Coke since a kid-no more...went to Diet "Coke grudgingly. I cut back big time on bread which I dearly loved. I stopped going to the middle isles so much looking for TV dinners and hot pockets and Pepper Ridge Farm chocolate cakes. In sort I lost 30 pounds and am currently wearing one size smaller pants and shirts and don't have to take no damn pills...other than for cholesterol and Plavix since I have a vascular problem related to high cholesterol even though I don't know, the damage was done.

Lose weight at all cost before it causes major medical issues is my recommendation. I live in fear of loosing my left leg or foot daily since I had a blood coot or two two years ago-all because of originally having platelets form in my leg due to my eating habits.

frank_drebin
12-25-2011, 18:51
Wow, first time I've ever found myself siding with Toorop. It's a Christmas miracle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

jw38
12-27-2011, 18:44
Go to Wally World and buy you a next size up pair of pants. cc will immediately work - right now and you'll be safe and happy. Now start working on the weight thing. I speak from this experience in life - which I continue to work on.