Stag Model 2 vs. M&P Sport [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stag Model 2 vs. M&P Sport

Blade37db
10-25-2011, 17:32
I've never been into ARs....not crazy about the round, the DI system and thought they were too front heavy. Only "rifles" I own are M1 Carbines (2). Love the look, balance & weight (yeah, I know it's not really a "rifle" round). Still, something tells me that I should have an AR in my collection. Recently, I held 2 that felt pretty light: a Stag Model 2 and a M&P Sport. I want my rifle to have iron sights (don't really care about a rail). I know the twist rates are different (1:9 vs 1:8), chrome vs. Melonite lined barrel, and the M&P is missing a dust cover and forward assist. Price was $869 for the Stag and $599 for the M&P. Opinions? Any other important features that differntiate? Any others that might be "better" in the price range between the 2?
Thanks.

mixflip
10-25-2011, 19:57
Wow, I dont think I have ever heard of someone complaining that a D.I.AR15 is a front heavy gun before? Thats a first.

Sorry I cant comment on the 2 rifles other than I love both and would be happy with either one for poking holes in paper. I would probably get a Stag "plus package" for an extra $100.

Chowser
10-26-2011, 23:55
What exactly would you use the AR for? That would help you narrow down your choices. I've had a S&W M&P15T for almost four years now and it's been running great. It was $950 back in the day. To date, I have not put a scope on it nor any other accessories (feel kind of silly now buying the 15T).

I thought about building a carbine for my next rifle, but I opted to go mid-length. I got a free lower from my coworker, so all I would need is a full upper, but I want to change the stock out, so I am looking at $550ish to build a new rifle with Magpul MOE furniture.

If I didn't get the lower for free, I was picking up one from Spike's Tactical for about $100. I still have no idea what I plan on doing with this rifle. I just decided to build one since I got the lower. I plan on putting a scope on this one.

The S&W Sport has been getting decent reviews as a starter rifle for those that just want to head out and target shoot.

jonbondave
10-27-2011, 01:56
I havea model 2 Stag. It's been 100% through 620 rounds minus one magazine induced failure to feed ( I bought some spare colt mags for cheaper than dirt for plinking.) you can pick up a stag model 2 via BUD'S online shop for 752.00 dollars. and customize it as you see fit, if you're planning on shooting 69 grain or lower ammo shouldn't be an issue as far as 1:9 vs 1:8.

majette
10-27-2011, 13:11
go with the s&w. lack of chrome lining is not an issue with a quality barrel and regular cleaning. nor is the lack of dustcover or forward assist unless you are going to be in dusty or muddy environments. buy mags and ammo with what you save.

COLOSHOOTR
10-27-2011, 16:50
Wow, I dont think I have ever heard of someone complaining that a D.I.AR15 is a front heavy gun before? Thats a first.

I guess I wasn't the only one who was confused by that part..... I've never heard anyone call a DI AR15 front heavy but I have heard people call gas piston systems front heavy.

You're really looking at two very different guns.... The standard M&P 15 can be found for the same price range of the Stag and it will have pretty much the same features as the model 2.

For $100 more the Model 2's come with rails and a flip up rear sight so you're getting those "upgrades" already installed. With those add ons and the chrome lined barrel it's really going to be more of your SHTF type combat rifle better suited for hard use. The standard model t

On the other hand if it's only going to see range use and you're not going to put any RDS/Holo site or any other optics on it the M&P Sporter will do you just fine. That 1/8 twist non chrome lined barrel will probably be more accurate and will allow you to shoot a wide variety of ammo including the heavier bullets.

If you plan on upgrading a better rifle for the money would probably be the M&P-15T (Tactical) since it comes free floated with a Troy rail and has Troy BUIS sights.

shooter9696
10-29-2011, 12:38
I built my own Stag with a 2HT upper. It was much easier than I would have ever thought, was around a $1000 and I made it mine during the entire build.

I would NOT recommend the sport because of the lack of forward assist and dust cover. Those seem like deal killers to me.

You can build your own AR cheap... Buy a good upper and you're set.

Sharkey
10-29-2011, 16:27
I've never been into ARs....not crazy about the round, the DI system and thought they were too front heavy. Only "rifles" I own are M1 Carbines (2). Love the look, balance & weight (yeah, I know it's not really a "rifle" round).

Thanks.

Well not trying to throw off the discussion and my suggestion is in the wrong section but have you considered a new Ruger Mini 14?

Made Man
10-29-2011, 17:41
You'll never miss that dust cover or foward assist. Oh, I really like my M&P Sport. Zero malfunctions after a little bit over 700 rounds.

shooter9696
10-29-2011, 22:48
You'll never miss that dust cover or foward assist. Oh, I really like my M&P Sport. Zero malfunctions after a little bit over 700 rounds.

If it's just for plinking... Sure... But a SHTF or even hunting... I'd rather have a dust cover.

I'm sure it's an outstanding rifle. Hell of a value for sure.

Chowser
10-30-2011, 15:09
Just saw this at PSA:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/8923.php

$599, just add rear sight.

If I wasn't building a midlength right now, I'd probably get it for a plinker.

I ended up buying this:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/2554.php