Reloading out of an apartment: Thoughts or suggestions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading out of an apartment: Thoughts or suggestions?

Ocean_glocker
10-25-2011, 17:43
Hey everyone,
I'm getting more and more into shooting and I was crunching numbers and I realized that I could save some coin, and have some fun with reloading. And my wife actually agrees and is partially on board.

I'm looking at the Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press kit in 40 S&W, but the thing is I've seen a lot of your set-ups and I don't have that kind of space (apartment). Do any of you have a closet set up? or a set up that you pack away once your done?

I appreciate the thoughts and help.

(http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/730947/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-40-s-and-w)

michael e
10-25-2011, 17:52
Someone here has a pic of a set up on a bar stool. I started on a small table. If your only loading one caliber you can do it . Now I have a whole room, not sure I could go back to a small setup now.

shotgunred
10-25-2011, 18:21
Mitch will chime in sometime. He was reloading in an apartment.

When I started I had everything in a wooden box. My press bolted to the top and I set in on the kitchen table when I wanted to reload. Your reloading space is only limited by your creativity and ingenuity.

xxlarge
10-25-2011, 18:35
If you signed a rental agreement or a lease check it for mention of gun powder and the like (also renter's insurance policy) before you invest money in a very worthwhile hobby. Neighbors can be snoopy and nazis when it comes to squealing like little piggys.

Colorado4Wheel
10-25-2011, 18:46
You mount a press to a board, then clamp it to a table. Thats what I did. I had a Lee Classic Turret like that for a while. I could just have easily done a 550 like that. Width is the same, Height is the only difference. Besides that you can store most things in a small box. You do need a sturdy table. I had a way to attach my kitchen table to the wall to keep it from wobbling. LCT is not as picky about some wobble on the table. Load Masters and Pro 1000's can be really problematic with out a very sturdy bench.

NMG26
10-25-2011, 18:52
I have been using this one for a year now.

http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-lee-hand-press-reloading-kit-1.shtml

All my dies, scale, casings, bullets are in a small end table that I drag where ever I want to load. I also have my powder and some other stuff in a tool box. It does not take up much room at all. I load while talking to the wife of watching TV.

Boxerglocker
10-25-2011, 18:56
Hey everyone,
I'm getting more and more into shooting and I was crunching numbers and I realized that I could save some coin, and have some fun with reloading. And my wife actually agrees and is partially on board.

I'm looking at the Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press kit in 40 S&W, but the thing is I've seen a lot of your set-ups and I don't have that kind of space (apartment). Do any of you have a closet set up? or a set up that you pack away once your done?

I appreciate the thoughts and help.

(http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/730947/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-40-s-and-w)

I had the room issue as in not a lot, but did have a spare bedroom corner to locate my bench.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=215747&d=1302499375

If it needs to be out of sight when not in use. I suggest building a closet bench set-up with 2x4's lag bolted into a couple wall studs and a 2x3 foot 3/4 inch plywood top.

fredj338
10-25-2011, 21:16
I used a coat closet in my apt for my reloading setup in college. It was all of 24x36. It was fine, plenty of room to work, & some add'l. shelves for storage, it was fine. I also put a lock on it to keep my landlord from knowing what I was doing. Like Boxer notes, a bench top is easily built in w/ some 2x4s along the wall & a solid top of some kind.
The other option is a workmate & C clamps. Fold it up & put it under the bed. I would still put a lock on a coat closet & store my stuff in there. Screw the neighbors.

crsuribe
10-25-2011, 21:20
I reload in a coat closet. Made a couple thousand rounds in there so far.

thorn137
10-25-2011, 21:52
The problem with apt living isn't just space to set up/clamp the press down... it's to have a space that you aren't constantly having to tear down in order to load. Setting up the press, work area, bullets, cases, scale, etc etc etc repeatedly gets old after a few weeks.

So - keep that in mind, in case you decide to mount your press on a Black&Decker portable bench. ;)

thorn

chris in va
10-26-2011, 00:23
Absolutely no need for a progressive press. My Lee Hand Press does five different calibers and everything needed gets put back in a medium sized plastic bin next to my recliner.

Ocean_glocker
10-26-2011, 07:54
Absolutely no need for a progressive press. My Lee Hand Press does five different calibers and everything needed gets put back in a medium sized plastic bin next to my recliner.

Thanks for all the responses.

As much as I would like to have a progressive press, I think for space reasons I'm going to try a hand loader. Maybe once I get more space I will get the progressive.

Chris, how many round are you able to produce in an hour with your hand loader?

Time vs production was the biggest reason for me considering a progressive press

Jayman
10-26-2011, 08:48
I've got a Dillon 650 on a wheeled cart. I pull it out weight it down for when I want to reload, and reverse the process when I'm putting it up. I've probably reloaded 100,000 rounds on this setup. (Boxes of bullets make good weight to hold it down, FWIW.)

thesid
10-26-2011, 08:53
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=11461

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=285639

Zombie Steve
10-26-2011, 09:01
Buy a house.

I know a great agent. :whistling::supergrin:

Ocean_glocker
10-26-2011, 09:04
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=11461

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=285639

I am liking this set up, I may have look into it.

unclebob
10-26-2011, 10:33
Lee makes a stand and also Midway sells one. Also Lee makes a mount so it is very easy to pull the press off and hide the press if need be. Also a steamer trunk would be great for storing powder etc. and even the press in and the trunk is also lockable.
Me I would get the Lee stand, mount, and Lee Classic LCT press.

ron59
10-26-2011, 13:10

Time vs production was the biggest reason for me considering a progressive press

That dude must have a LOT of spare time on your hand. For a single stage press, I think it's 100 rounds per hour, whereas it's 10 minutes with my Dillon 550B. Even faster with 650 and case feeder. And I'm going to be getting a new press 650/1050 come Christmas, because my 550 is too slow.

I don't HATE reloading, but my love is shooting. I want to get in to my garage, reload, and be done. The more ammo, the quicker, the better.

That handpress... can't even imagine how much time it would take to reload the 15,000 or so rounds I shoot a year with one of those.

bdhawk
10-28-2011, 19:51
a guy i used to know had a very efficient set-up in an amorie/wardrobe he picked up at a used furniture store. he had all kinda shelves and cubby holes built into it, making it very efficient. the rockchucker was recessed just enough to allow the doors to be closed. when he was finished handloading, he shut the doors, and locked 'em. it was a bit bigger than a fridge, looked nice [he sanded it down and refinished it], and it did the job, very well.

frankmako
10-28-2011, 20:08
back in the mid 70's i build a bench from some ply wood mounted on a black and decker work mate. still use it today.

NMG26
10-28-2011, 20:15

I can to a little over 50 in an hour.

I'm not really in a hurry when I am loading.

sig357fan
10-29-2011, 07:02
I made up a reloading bench out of some plywood, 2 X 4, table leg and a file cabinet. The top measures 22 X 30, 2 X 4 frame is mounted to the cabinet and the wall behind it, table leg is used to transfer press operations stresses to the floor, it pretty rock solid.

The file cabinet which is lockable, holds all my dies and supplies in the two big drawers and small tools are in the smaller drawer.

If you mounted your press to a board for clamping to the bench top like C4W suggested, a single stage or Lee turret would easily fit in one of the bigger drawers.

If your worried about peering eyes, put a desk top computer on it and, voila, itís a computer desk.

Push the monitor to the back wall, put the key board on top of the monitor and clamp your press to the bench top and, voila, itís a reloading bench.

Good luck with what ever you do and keep us posted,

sig357fan

dwhite53
10-29-2011, 09:12

I can do about 60 .40S&W per hour on mine. I'm not reloading for speed. I've never blown up a gun either as this set-up gives you more time to make sure things are right, powder levels in particular. My set-up fits in a tool box under the bed. No problem.

I could easily make room for a progressive as I'm in a house but for what I shoot the hand press is plenty.

All the Best,
D. White

freakshow10mm
10-29-2011, 10:04
I started on a Lee hand press reloading in my in-law's basement. Lived there until wife and I found a house. My entire reloading setup fit in a shoebox. I'd load 100rds of 10mm at a time.

DoctaGlockta
10-29-2011, 10:15
Lee hand loader alumni here too. Everything I needed to load 45acp and 223 including a couple of 1lb jugs of powder fit in a tool box. Have fun and be safe.

coverdog
10-29-2011, 10:18

You can go through all the steps needed to reload 50 rounds in an hour? De-prime, prime, re-size, measure and load the powder, and seat the bullets in about a minute per round?

AZson
10-30-2011, 13:41
If it is a area that has wall to wall rugs, I put a desk chair plastic mat down to catch any powder spilled.

dwhite53
10-31-2011, 18:41
You can go through all the steps needed to reload 50 rounds in an hour? De-prime, prime, re-size, measure and load the powder, and seat the bullets in about a minute per round?

Yep.

Really isn't that hard to do. One shortcut I take is using a dipper to measure powder. I find it faster than the powder measure yet just as accurate.

Get everything on the bench ready to go before you start.

All the Best,
D. White

Steelhawk
11-26-2011, 11:15
I lived in apartments for years and had a portable table top setup made from two pieces of 3/4 plywood 12 x 36 glued together. I put a 2 x 2 on each end to raise it up enough so the press had clearance. I used it for over 20 years, clamped to a desk or room divider, until I got a garage, and later, an indoor bench in a spare room.

I saw it the other day in the garage leaning against a wall with some lumber.

fredj338
11-26-2011, 17:14
A single stage press w/ powder measure can do 70rds/hr form start to finish. If you do brass in steps; size & prime, then go back & charge & seat bullets, it goes pretty quickly & your rate per hr goes up a bit.