Remington 870 Express 18" Finish Question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Express 18" Finish Question.

Made in Austria
10-25-2011, 18:51
Hello all!

I recently purchased a new 870 Express (the one with the factory magazine extension). I love this gun so far, its the perfect shotgun for me.

I was wondering about the finish on this gun, since I heard of many rust issues with those guns. Is that gun really a rust bucket, or do people mistake the factory preservative lube and the soldering residues with rust?

What finish do they apply currently on the express versions? On what I have read, Remington changed the finish a couple of years ago, is this true?

Thanks, Wolf

bluejackets92fs
10-25-2011, 20:54
It's just parkerizing

Jeremy_K
10-25-2011, 21:11
Mine seems to have a lousy finish that is prone to surface rust. It's not like the older parkerized 870s at all. They had a nice matte but slick finish. This new finish is like an emery board or fine grit sandpaper finish. It's very difficult to coat it with a little oil. I have the 28" vent rib barrel and it has rust where the ribs meet the barrel. I got the gun used but in like new condition with no rust anywhere. I've never had it out in the rain or snow. I just try and keep up with it with some clp or remoil and a rag.

aippi
10-25-2011, 21:43
No, it is not parkerizing. The Express finish is an applied finish. The only Remington shotguns parkerized are the 870 Police and the 11-87 Police.

The matte finish is prone to a surface rust but that wipes off. It would have to be neglected for a period of time before the rust could pit the weapon. It needs to be kept oiled. Oil it and wipe off the excess and it will be fine. Ignore it and there will be issues.

Glockdude1
10-25-2011, 21:53
No, it is not parkerizing. The Express finish is an applied finish. The only Remington shotguns parkerized are the 870 Police and the 11-87 Police.

The matte finish is prone to a surface rust but that wipes off. It would have to be neglected for a period of time before the rust could pit the weapon. It needs to be kept oiled. Oil it and wipe off the excess and it will be fine. Ignore it and there will be issues.

All true. I was really surprised one day I pulled out my 870 express, and it had rust on the receiver. I had my entire 870 refinished in armor kote. (the name my smith calls it)

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vmcawg.jpg
The color is called HK semi-gloss black.

Now water just falls off the weapon. No rust at all!!

:cool:

Made in Austria
10-26-2011, 01:12
Thanks for all the good postings guys! I will keep it nice and moist with CLP, it will hopefully stay rust free for many years.

Thanks!

CrackerKen
10-29-2011, 20:42
I was thinking about buying an 870 like this. I just changed my mind. The shotgun itself and the mechanisms may be top notch, but I'm not putting money into something that is so prone to rust. I'm not into buying something so I can spend money on refinishing it. If I can find a good used one, even blue steel, that's in good shape, I'd consider it before a new one with a lousy finish. I know how to take care of guns, and have had blue steel revolvers for years without them rusting, but I don't like the sound of this. Am I way off base here?

Right now, I'm thinking Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88. All I'm planning on doing, is buying the gun, running a box of shells through it, clean, lube, and put it in the corner of the room for HD use.

Andrewsky
10-29-2011, 20:54
I was thinking about buying an 870 like this. I just changed my mind. The shotgun itself and the mechanisms may be top notch, but I'm not putting money into something that is so prone to rust. I'm not into buying something so I can spend money on refinishing it. If I can find a good used one, even blue steel, that's in good shape, I'd consider it before a new one with a lousy finish. I know how to take care of guns, and have had blue steel revolvers for years without them rusting, but I don't like the sound of this. Am I way off base here?

Right now, I'm thinking Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88. All I'm planning on doing, is buying the gun, running a box of shells through it, clean, lube, and put it in the corner of the room for HD use.

No, in my opinion you're not off-base with regards to the finish. I have one and I prefer either regular Wingmaster/Police blueing or Police parkerizing on an 870.

jhooten
10-29-2011, 21:06
They are blasted and blued. Like any other blued finish they need protection.

Lugi
10-29-2011, 21:11
It's just parkerizing

No it's not!

H&K .45 AUTO
10-29-2011, 22:39
I am issued an 870 Police with a 14" barrel for work. It was brand new when I was first issued the weapon about 7 years ago, and took less than 3 months to show signs of surface rust. It has been the most labor intensive weapon I've ever had to deal with in terms of keeping rust off of it. I wipe it down weekly with a CLP soaked rag, and each week it turns the cloth brownish-orange with surface rust.

Functionally, the 870 is beyond exceptional. But, I would have expected a lot better quality finish than what I've experienced on my issued shotgun. As such, I have no plans to buy a Remington shotgun for my personal collection. I did buy a Chinese clone of an 870, and the finish on that weapon is quite better than that on my 870.

SCSU74
10-30-2011, 12:20
Cerakote works wonders

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CrackerKen
10-30-2011, 13:58
What's the brand name on that Chinese 870 clone?

I think I found the 870 clones - H&R Pardner Protector. Looks like the H&R is to Remington, what Maverick is to Mossberg. They look to be rather nice shotguns with some good reviews, in both the tactical and field models.

H&K .45 AUTO
10-30-2011, 17:00
What's the brand name on that Chinese 870 clone?

I think I found the 870 clones - H&R Pardner Protector. Looks like the H&R is to Remington, what Maverick is to Mossberg. They look to be rather nice shotguns with some good reviews, in both the tactical and field models.

That's the one I bought... An H&R Pardner Protector. Comparing it side by side with my issued 870 Police, I can say that the Chinese made gun has a better quality finish, and is the equal of the Remington in all other regards. If it weren't for the 14" barrel, and Surefire forend assembly on my issued shotgun... I'd prefer the H&R over the 870 all the way around.

CrackerKen
10-30-2011, 17:18
H&K .45 Auto - Thanks much. Sounds good. I did a Google search and read up on them this afternoon. I see where Dick's Sporting Goods has them on sale today for $179.98. I wish I had the spare change right now. At least I know who sells them locally - like 2 miles down the street from my house. Cheaper Than Dirt sells them for $170, plus shipping and FFL fees. One of these should suit my purposes fine. I won't be shooting it a lot, so I'll never wear it out anyway. When I was in the police business, I carried a High Standard hunting shotgun what was cut down and re-beaded, so this will be similar (most of us bought our own instead of carrying the stuff out of the armory).

H&K .45 AUTO
10-31-2011, 17:06
H&K .45 Auto - Thanks much. Sounds good. I did a Google search and read up on them this afternoon. I see where Dick's Sporting Goods has them on sale today for $179.98. I wish I had the spare change right now. At least I know who sells them locally - like 2 miles down the street from my house. Cheaper Than Dirt sells them for $170, plus shipping and FFL fees. One of these should suit my purposes fine. I won't be shooting it a lot, so I'll never wear it out anyway. When I was in the police business, I carried a High Standard hunting shotgun what was cut down and re-beaded, so this will be similar (most of us bought our own instead of carrying the stuff out of the armory).

I certainly wouldn't worry about wearing one out. I have no doubt in my mind that it will hold up every bit as well as an 870...If not longer. These things are built very stout, with lots of steel.

CrackerKen
10-31-2011, 17:58
I'm going to pick one up first chance I get, probably in a couple of months. I'm on short term disability right now, and can't shoot anyway. I have some $$ coming in very soon too.

BTW - Do these hold 5 in the magazine, plus 1 chambered?

H&K .45 AUTO
11-01-2011, 15:40
BTW - Do these hold 5 in the magazine, plus 1 chambered?

Yes. They hold 5+1. Also, there is a guy on another forum that makes a plus 2 extension that fits flush with the end of the barrel. I haven't opted to go that route simply because anything that requires more attention than 6 rounds of 12 gauge 00 Buck, will be addressed with 30 rounds of 5.45x39 from my AK.

CrackerKen
11-01-2011, 16:30
Yes. They hold 5+1. Also, there is a guy on another forum that makes a plus 2 extension that fits flush with the end of the barrel. I haven't opted to go that route simply because anything that requires more attention than 6 rounds of 12 gauge 00 Buck, will be addressed with 30 rounds of 5.45x39 from my AK.

Thanks a lot. Yes, 5+1 should be enough for HD too. I'll have an extra ammo holder on the stock too.

Njanear
11-02-2011, 09:03

Thanks a lot. Yes, 5+1 should be enough for HD too. I'll have an extra ammo holder on the stock too.

If I am not mistaken, I believe that you can take the barrel off, pull out the little plastic piece in the end of the mag tube and when you put it back together, will have a 6 shot tube. I have been contemplating getting one of these myself and in researching it, ran across that tidbit. :wavey:

SmithietheFox
09-29-2012, 16:15
Purchased one 5 years ago and no matter how "clean" I get it, after a few days when I pull it out of the closet there is light rust covering almost a quarter of the gun. Had I known that before I purchased it I'd have looked at a Mossberg.

CrackerKen
09-29-2012, 16:28
I've had my Mossberg M590A1 sitting in the corner of my bedroom for 9 months now. No hint of rust. However, mine is parkerized.

BossGodfrey
10-03-2012, 22:31
The finish is **** ! Remington QA has gone down hill period. When I was at the prison two years ago, they ordered four new 870's. Model 5077 with the two shot ext. First day on the range two of them failed to load a second round because of a damn burr in the mag tube. Had to spend 30 minutes with a rat tail file to get them to load all five in the tube. There is no excuse for that bull**** period. From now on I'll spend the extra 80.00 and get a 590 ! Remington can suck it !

Inebriated
10-03-2012, 22:44
The finish is **** ! Remington QA has gone down hill period. When I was at the prison two years ago, they ordered four new 870's. Model 5077 with the two shot ext. First day on the range two of them failed to load a second round because of a damn burr in the mag tube. Had to spend 30 minutes with a rat tail file to get them to load all five in the tube. There is no excuse for that bull**** period. From now on I'll spend the extra 80.00 and get a 590 ! Remington can suck it !
The Express is a shotgun built to meet a price point.

Don't expect Police/Wingmaster quality without paying Police/Wingmaster prices.

sharpshooter
10-03-2012, 23:32
The cheap Express finish comes off way too easy with 600 grit paper and a few minutes of elbow grease. You can completely strip the barrel, for example, in about 2 minutes. Comes right off.

Since Remington can't produce a non-rusting finish on the Express, they should include a $30 Duracote do-it-yourself kit in every box, which is 1000x more durable.

Vigilant
10-05-2012, 14:50
I have one 870P in Cerakote, and it has been great. The other two are factory parked, probably about 10 years old. They were all part of the same batch that Bud's Police Supply had from Nebraska State Police. The two parked guns, I just spray generously with Rem Oil, leave 'em standing barrel down to let the excess run off, and after a day or so of drip dry, they are good to go. Using this method, I have never even had to wipe the excess oil off. Of course, i do keep some strong dessicant in the safe.

If it were not for the fact that we are issued 870s, and qualify with same, I would probably go with Mossberg.

owl6roll
10-05-2012, 19:42
Huuummmm....really? Not had a problem!! CLP is a good thing.

BossGodfrey
10-05-2012, 20:24
The Express is a shotgun built to meet a price point.

Don't expect Police/Wingmaster quality without paying Police/Wingmaster prices.

What I expect for 350.00 is a freakin shotgun that will function without filing on it for twenty minutes first. Maybe that's to much to ask from Remington now !

captdreifus
10-06-2012, 04:19
Are you guys also finding rust on the bolt, bolt face, and inside the chamber area?

SCSU74
10-06-2012, 09:59
Are you guys also finding rust on the bolt, bolt face, and inside the chamber area?

just exterior surface rust on mine before gunkote

The Outrage
10-08-2012, 13:36
I have a Remington 870 with the "Tactical Gray" power coating. It is rusting on the receiver, which is making the gray powder coating bulge, and it is rusting on the magazine tube, which uses the regular "crude" black finish. Personally, I wouldn't purchase an 870 again.

SDGlock23
10-08-2012, 16:42
The finish is bad, and has been for several years. I know my cousin bought one and his started showing rust. Mine is a regular synthetic 26" but I put a Hogue stock and forearm on it. Added a 18" Remchoke barrel and a Wilson 2 shot mag extension.

I covered the receiver in Militec and then took a paper towel and just used some elbow grease and kinda scrubbed on it, and it's actually helped it a lot. The finish is lousy but it doesn't rust whenever I touch it anymore. The easiest way is to just always wipe it down after you touch it.

whitebread
10-09-2012, 12:47
My 870 express with stock finish will show some rust colored discoloration after a day of hunting in the rain, but it will wipe off with some Ballistol. All guns need to be cared for regardless of what finish they have...even stainless steel ones.