Wearing armor to the range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing armor to the range

PAGunner
10-26-2011, 09:43
After seeing way too many incompetent shooters at the range that I care to even remember, the idea has crossed my mind, maybe I should wear armor to the range. So that got me thinking, does anyone I hear have a vest they were to bring to the range?

Probably seems like an over the top safety precaution, but I'm dead serious, I don't trust half the people I see at the range.

ancient_serpent
10-26-2011, 09:47
I swear that I don't mean this in an insulting way....but if you have to wear armor to feel safe at your shooting range, you should think about going to a different range.

usmc4641
10-26-2011, 09:49
While I do get my jollies off at seeing some of the guys come to the local range all decked out, there is a sense of practicality to it. Practice like you play I reckon. For what you intended reasoning is, I think it may be overkill, or maybe simply time to rethink where you shoot.

dekova
10-26-2011, 09:50
I swear that I don't mean this in an insulting way....but if you have to wear armor to feel safe at your shooting range, you should think about going to a different range.

what he said.

cysoto
10-26-2011, 09:50
...if you have to wear armor to feel safe at your shooting range, you should think about going to a different range.
A big +1

Motor City Glocker
10-26-2011, 09:52
a big +1

this.

RussP
10-26-2011, 09:59
After seeing way too many incompetent shooters at the range that I care to even remember, the idea has crossed my mind, maybe I should wear armor to the range. So that got me thinking, does anyone I hear have a vest they were to bring to the range?

Probably seems like an over the top safety precaution, but I'm dead serious, I don't trust half the people I see at the range.Where I use to shoot, the employees of the range wore vests when working with the concealed carry classes, often made up of brand new gun owners. They also wore protection when going to deal with unruly people on the range.

I have been hit by ricochets there. People shoot high and hit the angle bar that holds the target backers. I've politely told the shooters to lower their targets on the backers to avoid hitting the top bar.

I don't have a vest, yet. That may be one of my Christmas presents this year.

Brian Lee
10-26-2011, 09:59
I'd just go to a different range. I love to shoot as much as the next guy, but I NEVER feel the need so badly that I'd risk being the victim of unsafe goons shooting right beside me.

IT0
10-26-2011, 10:00

Yes I agree, BUT...I have had loaded guns pointed at me while at more than one range and I agree with the sentiment of he OP.

LongGoneDays
10-26-2011, 10:04
I swear that I don't mean this in an insulting way....but if you have to wear a seat belt to feel safe on your drive to to work/grocery store, you should think about selling your car and moving to a different state.

Makes about as much sense.

Denied
10-26-2011, 10:18
Retired LEO, when we shot on the range it was SOP to wear our vests, with up to 10 people shooting at the same time bounce back pieces of lead were not uncommon.

nastytrigger
10-26-2011, 10:19
I'd stay away from that range. The club I belong to is strict, but we police ourselves.

The range I started shooting at had too many shady characters.

PAGunner
10-26-2011, 10:30
Where I use to shoot the employees of the range wore vests when working with the concealed carry classes, often made up of brand new gun owners. They also wore protection when going to deal with unruly people on the range.

I have been hit by ricochets there. People shoot high and hit the angle bar that holds the target backers. I've politely told the shooters to lower their targets on the backers to avoid hitting the top bar.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought of this hazard. I read the posts of guys on here saying just go to a different range, but I've had people point loaded weapons my way at more than one range, just like ITO has experienced. I don't think you can ever completely escape the danger of the range. Seems to me, I'm at least as likely to be shot at the range (accidental/negligent discharge) than any other place I might visit.

So to me, seems like wearing a vest to the range might be the prudent thing to do, considering I value my health/life. Even if it's 1 out of 1,000 shooters that puts you in danger, all it takes is one inexperienced or immature shooter to put you at risk.

rvrctyrngr
10-26-2011, 10:45
PAGunner, I certainly understand your position.

There's an indoor range not far from my work. My normal outdoor range is about 30miles from the house. On occasion, I use the indoor range for a quick function check of a new pistol or one that has just been worked on, rather than drive the extra distance to my club where I can shoot by myself.

I DO wear a vest under my clothes when I use the indoor range. I have the gear, so I use it! I don't know the folks there, don't want to, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll also wear one if I'm working with a new student that I don't know very well (this does not happen often).

At my outdoor club, I have no such concerns. I shoot by myself or with good friends that I trust in open bays with no other shooters present.

mrsurfboard
10-26-2011, 11:02
Retired LEO, when we shot on the range it was SOP to wear our vests, with up to 10 people shooting at the same time bounce back pieces of lead were not uncommon.

Makes sense. We wear our body armor when we work because we might get shot, so it's makes perfect sense to wear it at the range where there actually is live fire. Doesn't help when we shoot the AR though.

Patchman
10-26-2011, 11:10
Threads like this always makes me thankful I am near this one range. It's a small indoor range (6 ports) owned by the municipality's parks department. It is well run by a bunch of serious shooters (all volunteers) who've been volunteers forever. Most of them are NRA Instructor qualified and love nothing better than to introduce SAFE shooting to the general public.

And as the range is funded by the municipality and these guys work for free, they're not afraid of losing their "jobs." They rigorously uphold the NRA safety rules and will think nothing of refunding somebody their $10 fee and asking them to leave. After years of doing this, the range has developed a reputation as family oriented and where yahoos who want to act like yahoos are not welcome.

The only draw back is that these volunteers love to talk, that one can spend more time chatting with them than actually shooting. :)

Patchman
10-26-2011, 11:20
And of course, if you have a bullet resistant vest, wear it. It's an additional safety measure. Just like wearing a baseball cap, in addition to the mandatory eyes and ears protection.

eb31
10-26-2011, 11:40
Threads like this always makes me thankful I am near this one range. It's a small indoor range (6 ports) owned by the municipality's parks department. It is well run by a bunch of serious shooters (all volunteers) who've been volunteers forever. Most of them are NRA Instructor qualified and love nothing better than to introduce SAFE shooting to the general public.

And as the range is funded by the municipality and these guys work for free, they're not afraid of losing their "jobs." They rigorously uphold the NRA safety rules and will think nothing of refunding somebody their $10 fee and asking them to leave. After years of doing this, the range has developed a reputation as family oriented and where yahoos who want to act like yahoos are not welcome.

The only draw back is that these volunteers love to talk, that one can spend more time chatting with them than actually shooting. :)

Sounds exactly like the indoor range I go to. I am thankful that they take safety first, regardless of who they offend when they yell at the morons and throw them out.

John Rambo
10-26-2011, 12:04
Yeah, no. Just no.

I caught a ricochet in the arm once. Hurt like a *****! Like, more than a small injury like that should hurt.

Gunnut 45/454
10-26-2011, 13:34
I'd be tell the owner -get it together or I'm gone! It the range owner responsibility to ensure a safe shooting environment! Do they have safety officers in the shooting area?:upeyes:

Gunnut 45/454
10-26-2011, 13:34
I'd be telling the owner -get it together or I'm gone! It's the range owner responsibility to ensure a safe shooting environment! Do they have safety officers in the shooting area?:upeyes:

ancient_serpent
10-26-2011, 13:49
Makes about as much sense.

If I know that I am going to participate in a demolition derby, I will make sure that I have a reinforced car, helmet, flame retardant suit, fire extinguishers, safety crew and EMTs on standby.
If I know that my local shooting range regularly hosts unsafe shooters and will not correct this, I will go to a different range.
YMMV.

cowboy1964
10-26-2011, 15:28
Find a different range. Seriously, if you need body armor you're playing Russian Roulette. Just as likely to get hit in the leg or the head as the torso.

Toorop
10-26-2011, 15:45

I agree.

Breadman03
10-26-2011, 15:56
I was at a state game lands range near Hazleton, PA. Policy is that shooters must remove their targets and clean up after themselves. A group of guys and a girl show up with no discipline at all. They were teaching this girl to shoot and without thelling her a thing, handed her a loaded pistol. She was flagging EVERYONE with this thing, finger on trigger without a clue what she was doing. I holstered my pistol, grabbed my bag and left. Maybe I could have taught them something, but their presence made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and say "time to bug out.".

RussP
10-26-2011, 16:15
For those who advocate finding a different shooting range, how many ranges are within 25 miles of where you live? Do you have a choice?

Panzer
10-26-2011, 16:25
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt269/Panzer_Schreck/IMG_0444.jpg

Sure, go ahead and wear armor!:cool:

Cochese
10-26-2011, 16:57
http://bulletproofme.com/

Bruce M
10-26-2011, 16:59
For those who advocate finding a different shooting range, how many ranges are within 25 miles of where you live? Do you have a choice?

While I haven't weighed in on either side, I am fortunate to have several fairly close.

http://www.broward.org/PARKS/MARKHAMPARK/Pages/MarkhamParkTargetRange.aspx

http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/parks/sportshootingrange.asp

http://pembrokegunrange.com/ http://www.bigalsguns.com/

http://www.floridagun.com

http://www.arizonashootingrange.com/range/

Cochese
10-26-2011, 17:03
There are 5-10 within 20 minutes of my house.

I have a private PD range I can shoot at, though.

beatcop
10-26-2011, 17:14
For guys who don't wear one daily, it seems like a crazy idea, but I wear one every day at work and am mandated to wear it at LE firearms training.

If you have one, go for it. What other hobby do you have where death or serious injury is a possibility?

I wouldn't wear it shooting trap or have it on the outside of my clothes though:cool:

Patchman
10-26-2011, 18:33

In the addition to the one I already mentioned, at least two (2) other public ones. That makes a total of three.

Cavalry Doc
10-26-2011, 19:15

Probably seems like an over the top safety precaution, but I'm dead serious, I don't trust half the people I see at the range.

Find a different range. Or make the one you go to safer.

A bullet proof vest doesn't do you too well when you get shot in the eye.

:wavey:

RussP
10-26-2011, 20:11
Find a different range. Or make the one you go to safer.

A bullet proof vest doesn't do you too well when you get shot in the eye.

:wavey:Doc, how many ranges do you have available to you?

RussP
10-26-2011, 20:46
I swear that I don't mean this in an insulting way....but if you have to wear armor to feel safe at your shooting range, you should think about going to a different range.How many ranges do you have to choose from where you live?

RussP
10-26-2011, 20:47
what he said.How many ranges do you have to choose from where you live?

RussP
10-26-2011, 20:48
I swear that I don't mean this in an insulting way....but if you have to wear armor to feel safe at your shooting range, you should think about going to a different range.A big +1How many ranges do you have to choose from where you live?

RussP
10-26-2011, 20:49

Probably seems like an over the top safety precaution, but I'm dead serious, I don't trust half the people I see at the range.How many ranges do you have to choose from where you live?

EAJuggalo
10-26-2011, 20:53
I would go to a different range, and there are two ranges in my area that I won't go to because I do feel the need to have a vest on there. Without those two in a 45 minute drive for me I have one public indoor range, one LE range that is open to the public once a week and 4-5 outdoor private clubs, one of which I'm a member of.

themiller
10-26-2011, 20:53
closest range is 1/2 hour, next closest 45 minutes, after that 1+ hours. Luckily mine are usually full of pretty normal, safe people. Haven't had any incidents that I know of. Of course, I'm usually focused on shooting, and not inspecting everyone else's form and targets...

baraco
10-26-2011, 21:09
I don't think simply going to another range is the solution. Accidents can and will happen. If you have a vest, I suggest you wear it.

baraco
10-26-2011, 21:14
We have an indoor range here that is operated by the Law Enforcement Academy. Most shooters are LEO's. There were numerous incidents regarding Negligent discharges. A US marshal even put a hole on the table behind the shooting booths. I guess it's not a question of if you feel the need. If you have one, wear one.

JuneyBooney
10-26-2011, 21:17

I think with some of the boneheads nowadays a ballistic cup and helmet would work too. :whistling:

John Rambo
10-26-2011, 21:57

3 that I know of. I bet there are 1 or 2 more private/small time gigs around.

But I moreso advocate stopping the whole paranoia thing that causing the issue.

Matthew Courtney
10-26-2011, 23:49
Another aspect is the fact that with many people and many firearms the guns handle differently when body armor is worn. If you may be wearing armor when you have to fight with your gun, do you really want that instance to be the first time that you have used both at once? Train the way you fight!

Cavalry Doc
10-27-2011, 04:58
Doc, how many ranges do you have available to you?

There are 5 within short driving distance.

I belong to a local gun club. I very rarely see any unsafe acts and when they do happen, they are corrected quickly, and politely. Membership is capped, you need a sponsor to join, and impolite or unsafe people aren't members for long.

There are also some public ranges, they can be interesting. The LEO RANGE described a few posts before this one sounds like a nightmare. I'd shoot somewhere else.

Training and oversight, and instilling an atmosphere of mutual respect for your neighbor on the next bench helps a lot. I meet the nicest people at our club range.

RussP
10-27-2011, 07:39

But I moreso advocate stopping the whole paranoia thing that causing the issue.Paranoia on whose part?

PAGunner
10-27-2011, 07:54
How many ranges do you have to choose from where you live?

I live in Palm Beach County, there are 3 that are within the distance I want to drive, several more if I really wanted to expand my radius. I like all 3, I don't think it's a shop/range issue, I think it's more the fact you get random inexperienced and/or immature shooters anywhere you go, I just happen to make some observations that scare me. Idk the statistics on gun range shootings, but I know they happen.

Steve50
10-27-2011, 11:37
nice to have some ballistic protection between shooters built in to the partitions..

kensteele
10-27-2011, 15:24
I'm usually at the shooting range all by myself. Sometimes for hours. It's a public range in MO. :)

Calico Jack
10-27-2011, 15:31

But I moreso advocate stopping the whole paranoia thing that causing the issue.

Like the paranoia of carrying a weapon with you everyday???

TC-TX
10-27-2011, 15:35
I belong to a "privately owned" shooting club which means all members pay a yearly due and are given the gate code for access.

I have seen some knuckleheads in my years of being a member there, but there is always the option to look out for myself, as it would be foolish to depend on anyone else to consider my safety more important than myself.

Find another time to shoot, (preferably when the lunatics are not on the grass), is what I would do, and what I have done ......

:cool:

kdm2
10-27-2011, 19:15
Where I use to shoot the employees of the range wore vests when working with the concealed carry classes, often made up of brand new gun owners. They also wore protection when going to deal with unruly people on the range.

When I was shooting bowling pins it was amazing how many pieces of bullet jacket would come back at you. Never considered a vest but was thankful for my safety glasses a couple of times. I say if you got the gear use it.

barstoolguru
10-27-2011, 20:14
texas man shot in head
what makes you think its going to do any good

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/102611-Texas-Man-Shot-Dead-at-Gun-Range

CDR_Glock
10-27-2011, 20:34
I have a Class IIIA vest. The first time I went shooting at a new range, I didn't wear it. Realizing that it is in the woods far from the city and a hospital, I would rather have protection. The second time I wore it under my hoodie. After a while I forgot I was wearing it. If you have it, like a gun, it's better to wear it than own it and wish you had. If you feel uncomfortable, you should address any safety concerns with the rangemaster.

Its a personal preference. Like caliber A versus B, revolver versus auto, Class IIB Vs Class IIIA, Glock vs M&P.

Do what makes you comfortable. If someone makes you feel unsafe, the. You're free to leave. Keep it as simple as possible.

ancient_serpent
10-28-2011, 03:42
Deleted.

ancient_serpent
10-28-2011, 03:54

First, please excuse me not making a reply sooner. I generally try to monitor threads I post in, but power and internet is spotty at best here in Baghdad. I promise, I was not ignoring the question. Russ, I generally agree with the points you bring up.
I have several. One is five minutes drive, two others within half an hour. Two more within an hours drive. So five, probably more that I just don't know about.
My orignial reply was based off of what my personal comfort level is. I wear armor and weapons for a living and am completely supportive of training how you fight. If you wear your kit for that purpose, I think it's great. If you've never done it before, try it sometime. It is not as easy as you may think.
My answer was not meant to be flippant, or dimissive of legitimate concerns. I stand by what I said and meant: the best way to avoid getting shot is to not be where people are shooting at you. Ricochets and accidents do occur. If you wear armor for that purpose, more power to you. That wasn't the OP's meaning, though, if I understood it correctly.

Bren
10-28-2011, 04:28

Seems like 2 possibilities:

1. you're too scared of guns to be carrying one; or
2. you're looking for an excuse to pretend to be a cop (do you have a CCW badge?)

Otherwise, it's a pretty silly idea.

RussP
10-28-2011, 05:20
First, please excuse me not making a reply sooner. I generally try to monitor threads I post in, but power and internet is spotty at best here in Baghdad. I promise, I was not ignoring the question. Russ, I generally agree with the points you bring up.
I have several. One is five minutes drive, two others within half an hour. Two more within an hours drive. So five, probably more that I just don't know about.
My orignial reply was based off of what my personal comfort level is. I wear armor and weapons for a living and am completely supportive of training how you fight. If you wear your kit for that purpose, I think it's great. If you've never done it before, try it sometime. It is not as easy as you may think.
My answer was not meant to be flippant, or dimissive of legitimate concerns. I stand by what I said and meant: the best way to avoid getting shot is to not be where people are shooting at you. Ricochets and accidents do occur. If you wear armor for that purpose, more power to you. That wasn't the OP's meaning, though, if I understood it correctly.No problem...I've been waiting for a buddy of mine to answer an email I sent him three days ago. He's in Afghanistan.

My question is to show that the people recommending changing facilities do have several ranges to choose from, including PAGunner. I, for one, do not. There is one range in my area and it is private. You have to join to shoot. I am sure there are others.

Like you, I say people who have never worn body armor should try it. Body dynamics are very different. Range of motion may be different, especially if you opt for fuller coverage on the sides. While it isn't the same, wearing a very heavy, bulky coat also changes mobility and range of motion, perhaps more so as your arms are covered, too.

Can you get use to wearing it. Another poster earlier said he did. It got to where he didn't notice the vest. This could depend on the type of armor you wear. If you op for the concealable, lighter, less bulky vests, you'll acclimate more quickly. If you go for the bulkier tactical armor with rifle plates, well, I've never worn one, but it might take longer to get use to.

I agree with training how you fight. Example: People who live in areas with four seasons should train dressed for winter, for spring and fall, and for summer. What you wear changes.

That being said, I do not think PAGunner is talking about training exercises. I believe he is talking about just a day at the range destroying paper, possibly in the company of idiots and fools armed with weapons they neither know how to use, nor care how they use them. PAGunner can correct me if I am wrong.

As I said earlier, when I see range employees put on vests before entering the range, it makes me think.

RussP
10-28-2011, 05:33

2. you're looking for an excuse to pretend to be a cop (do you have a CCW badge?)

Otherwise, it's a pretty silly idea.Nice opinions, Bren, off base in this discussion, however.

As learned as you are, and you may have said this before, you should know that a gun isn't going to hurt you without help from an external force such as a human's finger on the trigger. "Scared of guns" doesn't cut it. I really do not think PAGunner is scared of guns. PAGunner, correct me if I am wrong.

I can see where your second point might be, probably would be, applicable to some dude walking down main street with a III-A vest open carrying with a couple/three mags on the weak side. I would say we'd have a wannabe sighting.

Bren, do you know, or have you heard of RO's wearing ballistic vests while supervising the line? Why do they do that?

PAGunner
10-28-2011, 05:56

Otherwise, it's a pretty silly idea.

Really bro?

PAGunner
10-28-2011, 06:07
That being said, I do not think PAGunner is talking about training exercises. I believe he is talking about just a day at the range destroying paper, possibly in the company of idiots and fools armed with weapons they neither know how to use, nor care how they use them. PAGunner can correct me if I am wrong.

As I said earlier, when I see range employees put on vests before entering the range, it makes me think.

You have it correct. I do also have the choice of multiple ranges, but I don't think changing ranges is the answer. From my experience, immature and/or inexperienced shooters can pop up at any range. I see it as a safety precaution, albeit an expensive one. I don't own a vest, if I bought one the only time it would see practical use is on the range, outside a maybe a HD situation where there was a break in and I actually have time to grab it (and I live in a very secure condo currently, very low on my worry list).

Like some posters have pointed out, I'm keenly aware you can get hit in the head, or leg, or whatever. Seems almost like wearing a seatbelt, probably don't need one, but there are some bad drivers out there and it gives some protection but doesn't mean you can't die in a car accident.

ancient_serpent
10-28-2011, 06:57
PAgunner, I am all for folks getting their own set of armor. Nothing like having it when you need it. Hopefully, none of us ever need it.
Everyones comfort level is different, in so far as risk assessment and tolerance of risk. I have a very low tolerance for stupidity and immaturity at gun ranges but as Russ pointed out, while I can change ranges others may not be able to do so. (Thank God I live in TN!)
If you still think it is part of the solution, I recommend Gold Flex as the material of choice for soft armor. Pay careful attention to sizing guides, as and uncomfortable vest can be very irritating.

sigchaser723
10-28-2011, 07:19
I have never worn armor to the range (except when qualifying since you train like you fight) that being said since I took my other job at a public range and do RO duties I have often considered wearing my vest. Frankly I have had far more guns pointed at me on the range then I ever have while on duty.

fuzzy03cls
10-28-2011, 08:00
If you feel you need to wear BA to a range you need to find a safer range. Sorry unless your training specifically with BA, that is excessive.
It's that gun centric mindset.

TangoFoxtrot
10-28-2011, 08:02

You must be talking about NE PA like Luzerne or Lackawanna county.:rofl:

Bren
10-28-2011, 08:07
Really bro?

Really.

Cavalry Doc
10-28-2011, 08:27
If you can't change to a different range, then do something to change the range you are going to. Our club range is a friendly place. Everyone talks to one another. When someone does anything that is potentially dangerous, it is expected that someone will approach them and politely point out the potential problem. I've never seen an argument there. An atmosphere of respectful but firm adherence to safety goes a long way to promoting a safe environment.

I have a vest, I am very used to wearing one. I don't feel a need to have it every time I go to the range. I have worn it a few times to get used to it when shooting different weapons.

See something, say something is not always a bad thing. Don't be afraid to teach.

series1811
10-28-2011, 08:47

I used to, most of the time. It only looks stupid until you get shot. Plus, if you plan on wearing body armor in a gunfight, you don't want that to be the first time you tryto move, shoot and reload wearing it.

Cream Soda Kid
10-28-2011, 09:00

Dang Russ, you used to shoot the employees? :shocked: No wonder they wore vests. “Look out, here comes Russ!!”

Just kidding of course. :wavey:

A vest is something to think about, even at a good range.

About a year ago, I was shooting with my 26 year old son. I was up at the shooting bench, and I heard a commotion behind me. I turned around to see my son in an argument with one of the shooters in the next lane. Apparently the other guy, after loading his magazines, racked the slide on his pistol to load one in the chamber in preparation for his turn at the bench to shoot. This was a violation of range rules. You load magazines at the shooting bench.

In racking the slide, he swept me, and he did this a couple of times. The first time my son asked him, politely, to watch it and avoid covering me with his muzzle. My back was to him, I was on the firing line shooting.

A little later he did it a second time without regard, covering me yet again. At this point my son stopped him and the argument was on.

The range officer told the other guy he was done for the day, and told him that another such infraction would result in his ban at the range.

PAGunner
10-28-2011, 09:06
Really.

So that's you like doing? Coming onto an Internet forum, where you know nothing about a poster, then make an asinine assumption about that person?

RussP
10-28-2011, 09:36
Dang Russ, you used to shoot the employees? :shocked: No wonder they wore vests. “Look out, here comes Russ!!”:rofl: I edited to add the comma...:animlol:

Warp
10-28-2011, 13:19

What range should I go to?

Let's say I am in Lawrenceville, GA. Can you find a range near me where I don't have to worry about the idiot next to me?

Thank you in advance.

ancient_serpent
10-28-2011, 14:15

Let's say I am in Lawrenceville, GA. Can you find a range near me where I don't have to worry about the idiot next to me?

Thank you in advance.

No offense, but that's on you. Doesn't hurt me wherever you choose to go shooting. Big boy rules, as it were.

Warp
10-28-2011, 14:22
No offense, but that's on you. Doesn't hurt me wherever you choose to go shooting. Big boy rules, as it were.

There are no other options. The only reasonable option is a range where the other shooters make it less-than-safe. That was my point.

Orive 8
10-28-2011, 14:34
Back in WA, a couple of friends of mine would wear their body armor whenever they attended ANY firearms training classes (both were non-leo friends and both had extensive training backgrounds).

One made it a point to wear his body armor whenever he went to the range.

If wearing the vest makes you feel safer when you head out to shoot, then buy one and use it.

ancient_serpent
10-28-2011, 14:47
There are no other options. The only reasonable option is a range where the other shooters make it less-than-safe. That was my point.

Sure there are. There are always options. You just may not like them.
And with this, I bow out of the conversation. If anyone is really sore about something I said, feel free to send a PM. All the best.

PAGunner
10-28-2011, 15:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xWOFCkTZzk&feature=related

This happens so often, it's not even funny. I wasn't even looking for this video, I just stumbled upon it, one of countless examples of people creating an unsafe environment at the shooting range. I've had loaded weapons pointed at me more than once, as I stated earlier. I doubt there is a range in existence that is completely void of unsafe shooters.

Warp
10-28-2011, 15:22
And with this, I bow out of the conversation. If anyone is really sore about something I said, feel free to send a PM. All the best.

There are no other reasonable options.

If you would like to contest this point, feel free.

Steve50
10-28-2011, 17:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xWOFCkTZzk&feature=related

This happens so often, it's not even funny. I wasn't even looking for this video, I just stumbled upon it, one of countless examples of people creating an unsafe environment at the shooting range. I've had loaded weapons pointed at me more than once, as I stated earlier. I doubt there is a range in existence that is completely void of unsafe shooters.

this is why I stay in my own protected shell while shooting and when finished leave with alacrity.

RussP
10-28-2011, 17:25

There are no other reasonable options.

If you would like to contest this point, feel free.Warp, y'all ain't going to reach any resolution that will satisfy you, so let's give it a rest.

Civilian sheep Dog
10-29-2011, 13:53
I understand what you mean, However I go during the middle of the week when its quite. I never go on the weekends to many morons make bone head moves.

vikingsoftpaw
10-29-2011, 17:07
The only reason to wear body armor to the range is if you need to train with it like LEO or military types..

If you need it for safety reasons, find a different, safer place to shoot.

roguedaddy
10-29-2011, 17:38

Thank you in advance.

It's not super close to you but come down to Southriver gun club. It's outdoors and you can have your own bay to shoot in. No one shooting with you unless you ask them to.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Warp
10-29-2011, 17:46
It's not super close to you but come down to Southriver gun club. It's outdoors and you can have your own bay to shoot in. No one shooting with you unless you ask them to.

Google Maps says an hour and twenty-two minutes. That's just too long/far for regular shooting. :(

steveksux
10-29-2011, 18:11
Changing ranges is simply NOT the answer. What makes anyone thing the next range is any safer? How would you know? How long were you at your current range before you noticed morons there, and thought about wearing a vest in response to that? I bet it wasn't the first time you went to that range.

If you've got it, why not? I don't, but maybe I should. What I should not do is ridicule others legitimate choices and safety concerns.

Randy

RussP
10-29-2011, 19:01
Changing ranges is simply NOT the answer. What makes anyone thing the next range is any safer? How would you know? How long were you at your current range before you noticed morons there, and thought about wearing a vest in response to that? I bet it wasn't the first time you went to that range.

If you've got it, why not? I don't, but maybe I should. What I should not do is ridicule others legitimate choices and safety concerns.

RandyThanks, Randy...

SCmasterblaster
10-29-2011, 19:01
I would stay at the range, wear level III body armor, and then remind the offenders gently about their unsafe conduct. If I don't do it, who will? They may not stop it until there is an accident, where someone may die. Someone has to show them the error of their ways. Someone. I'd be a gentle gnetleman about it though.

I once had a loaded and condition zero M1911A1 .45 ACP pointed at me at a bowling pin match. And I was standing BEHIND the firing line. I yelled at that guy big time, and the RSO ejected him from the range.

Warp
10-29-2011, 19:21
I would stay at the range, wear level III body armor

Where did you get yours?

SCmasterblaster
10-29-2011, 19:23
Where did you get yours?

A long time ago at the Second Chance Pin Shoot in Central Lake, MI :cool:

roguedaddy
10-29-2011, 19:30
Google Maps says an hour and twenty-two minutes. That's just too long/far for regular shooting. :(

Wow that is far. Well if you ever happen to be down that way check it out. There is usually some type of competition going on each weekend. There are also lots of classes offered there.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Warp
10-29-2011, 19:31
I'll keep an eye out for classes. It isn't too far to drive once for a class.

Beeman
10-29-2011, 23:14

I totally agree. That's why I have my own property that I can shoot on, and I don't allow anyone else to shoot here. I feel totally safe. There are way too many unsafe idiots (I'm not refering to anyone in this thread) who just start blasting away with no idea of what they are doing. Last time I went to a public range a guy looked down the barrel of his loaded gun and a flashlight after a misfire.:shocked:

steveksux
10-30-2011, 00:05
Thanks, Randy...And you know that hurt me to say that, I love to make fun of people.... :supergrin:

Randy

mrsurfboard
10-31-2011, 01:33
I would stay at the range, wear level III body armor, and then remind the offenders gently about their unsafe conduct. If I don't do it, who will? They may not stop it until there is an accident, where someone may die. Someone has to show them the error of their ways. Someone. I'd be a gentle gnetleman about it though.

I once had a loaded and condition zero M1911A1 .45 ACP pointed at me at a bowling pin match. And I was standing BEHIND the firing line. I yelled at that guy big time, and the RSO ejected him from the range.

Do you mean IIIA? IIIA is the highest level for soft body armor. Level III has a hard plates in it to withstand rifle rounds. IIIA is what street officers wear.

Calico Jack
10-31-2011, 02:01
The only reason to wear body armor to the range is if you need to train with it like LEO or military types..

If you need it for safety reasons, find a different, safer place to shoot.

Do you carry a gun when you leave home?

IT0
10-31-2011, 07:11
I think you have to use some common sense. If there are a bunch of new shooters at the range taking a class, or a bunch of boys who need to pull their pants up, then it might be a good idea to come another day.

SCmasterblaster
10-31-2011, 07:24
Do you mean IIIA? IIIA is the highest level for soft body armor. Level III has a hard plates in it to withstand rifle rounds. IIIA is what street officers wear.

It is thick, soft body armor, IIIA.

Warp
10-31-2011, 16:54
I think you have to use some common sense. If there are a bunch of new shooters at the range taking a class, or a bunch of boys who need to pull their pants up, then it might be a good idea to come another day.

There are plenty of mature individuals who have been shooting for years who are every bit as dangerous. In fact, I would argue more so, because they "know what they are doing"

SCmasterblaster
10-31-2011, 18:24
There are plenty of mature individuals who have been shooting for years who are every bit as dangerous. In fact, I would argue more so, because they "know what they are doing"

So true, just as in automobile driving. There are people out there driving for years, and have missed serious accidents by sheer luck. I agree that there is a serious lack of gun ettiquette out there. I can't tell of the near-fatal gun accidents that I have seen in my nearly 40 years of competition shooting. There have been way too many. The most serious one was the guy on the firing line at a bowling pin match. He was so upset at his shooting that he turned away from the bowling pin table and turned completely around, sweeping the entire group of spectators with his Condition zero M1911A1 pistol. And then, after doing it, he denied doing it!

Once a guy came up to the firing line with a fully-loaded .44 Magnum revolver.

And both of these guys are veteran shooters, with decades of competition handgun shooting in their past, and they both committed very serious shooting mistakes. When I first started competition handgun shooting, I broke 180 at an USPSA match. Well I got a well-deserved tongue lashing, even though the gun was unloaded and open. And the term going around "Safety nazi" is a real insult to the issue of gun safety. All it would take is one notable fatality, and one of the planks to our gun rights would be kicked away. :wow:

IT0
11-01-2011, 06:42

I agree with that but the times I have been put in front of a gun, were all with new shooters.

captcurly
11-01-2011, 06:51
Apparently the range officer/management are not doing the job they should be. There should be some kind of control on a firing range. If I did not feel safe at a range I would find another.

mhunter
11-01-2011, 09:48
Yeah, no. Just no.

I caught a ricochet in the arm once. Hurt like a *****! Like, more than a small injury like that should hurt.

And, a vest would have done absolutely nothing to prevent that... Or if some numbnut cranks one off into someone's head, neck, etc. :upeyes:

Cavalry Doc
11-01-2011, 19:55
And, a vest would have done absolutely nothing to prevent that... Or if some numbnut cranks one off into someone's head, neck, etc. :upeyes:

After seeing several dozen people shot, and knowing what I know about anatomy, I can't think of a good place to get shot, even with a vest on. There are a lot of important pieces that are not covered by a vest.

It's in your best interest to make the place you are shooting safe.

It's a free country, so do what you want, just be really sure that's what you want.

:dunno:

Lord
11-01-2011, 20:43

+1 totally