An observation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : An observation

sheltbt
10-26-2011, 11:01
I just started reloading - The most important thing I have learned so far is DO NOT tumble 500 S&W, .45 cal, 44 mag, and 9mm together. :crying:

F106 Fan
10-26-2011, 11:14
Indeed!

I use these to sort the shells:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?userSearchQuery=shell+sorter

Note that the aluminum plate is required to separate .380 from 9mm

It STILL doesn't solve the problem of 9mm vs .38 Super or .40 cal vs 10 mm.

And it STILL doesn't separate all the brass with crimped primer pockets (OK on my 1050, not so much on my 550Bs)

And it STILL doesn't separate out that Blazer .45 ACP brass with the small primers. That stuff really slows down my 1050.

So, we're starting to nail down some very large tarps in an attempt to recover our own brass and leave the rest for people with a longer attention span.

Richard

unclebob
10-26-2011, 11:59
Indeed!

I use these to sort the shells:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?userSearchQuery=shell+sorter

Note that the aluminum plate is required to separate .380 from 9mm

It STILL doesn't solve the problem of 9mm vs .38 Super or .40 cal vs 10 mm.

And it STILL doesn't separate all the brass with crimped primer pockets (OK on my 1050, not so much on my 550Bs)

And it STILL doesn't separate out that Blazer .45 ACP brass with the small primers. That stuff really slows down my 1050.

So, we're starting to nail down some very large tarps in an attempt to recover our own brass and leave the rest for people with a longer attention span.

Richard
I have found so far that the 380 shell plate does not do that great of a job. The other shell sorters work great. What I do is place the brass base side down on the table and look for what brass is shorter than the others. Also look inside for any rocks etc. Then I get a hand full so I can see the base of the brass all at the same time and weed out any that I missed or different primer size. Also I like to just shoot say 9mm and pick up the brass then shoot another different caliber. Also mesh tarps like what you can get from Harbor Freight work 100% better than the solid tarps. For one you do not need to stake them down and a lot of the sand sifts through when you pick up the tarp. I just pick up the four corners and all of the brass goes to the center. Then lay the tarp on a table and scoop up the brass, and then place them in another mesh bag to get the rest of the sand out. Also when you shake the bag you can hear if you have any split cases. I also after loading the ammo I put the rounds in a plastic tray that rounds use to come in and inspect the primers. I then run a red sharpie across the base of the rounds. Anything that does not have the red mark is a range pickup or someone else’s brass.

sheltbt
10-26-2011, 12:25
The tarp is a great idea.

F106 Fan
10-26-2011, 12:36
I have found so far that the 380 shell plate does not do that great of a job.

I've had great success with the plate. Maybe there has been a change. Mine is only a couple of months old.

What I do is place the brass base side down on the table and look for what brass is shorter than the others.

I do the same kind of thing but don't find it to be 100% reliable - that is, I'm not 100% reliable. I still find the odd .38 Super in the bin when I grab one to load on the 550B.

Then I get a hand full so I can see the base of the brass all at the same time and weed out any that I missed or different primer size.

Yup! In fact, I'm just tossing any brass that has a brass colored primer. If, in looking at the color, I can rapidly tell that it is the proper size and not crimped, I might save it. Or not...

Also mesh tarps like what you can get from Harbor Freight work 100% better than the solid tarps. For one you do not need to stake them down and a lot of the sand sifts through when you pick up the tarp. I just pick up the four corners and all of the brass goes to the center. Then lay the tarp on a table and scoop up the brass, and then place them in another mesh bag to get the rest of the sand out.

I'll look into this. Our big issue is not dropping the magazines in the dirt. The G21 magazines are a PITA to disassemble even with that nifty GTUL device. The Sig magazines are pretty straightforward.
https://www.mygtul.com/products.php

I really try to limit how much I have to handle the brass. The dirt and rocks come out when I run the brass through the shell sorter. Then it's off to the tumbler and, in a perfect world, straight into the feeder hopper. Clearly, it isn't a perfect world.

Richard

creophus
10-28-2011, 13:02
Tell us more about the 500s&w loading when you get a chance!

You'll figure out real fast what calibers you can and can't tumble together.

gasboffer
10-28-2011, 15:25
My main gripe is the dadgum .40 S&W cases. When picking up brass at the range it's easy to pick them up by mistake when all I'm interested in is .45ACP. When tumbling the .40 always gets stuck in the .45 and sometimes takes pliars to get them seperated.

trcubed
10-28-2011, 15:46
I just started reloading - The most important thing I have learned so far is DO NOT tumble 500 S&W, .45 cal, 44 mag, and 9mm together. :crying:

Turducken...

creophus
10-31-2011, 06:51
My main gripe is the dadgum .40 S&W cases. When picking up brass at the range it's easy to pick them up by mistake when all I'm interested in is .45ACP. When tumbling the .40 always gets stuck in the .45 and sometimes takes pliars to get them seperated.

I had the opposite problem. I'd be looking for 40 s&w cases and would keep picking up 45 acp in the process.

I ended up with about 1000+ pieces of 45acp brass because when I threw them back down I'd pick up the same case again!!!

So what was I to do? I bought a 1911 so I could use all those 45 cases! :supergrin:

id1otbox
02-04-2012, 02:53
What does the color of the primer indicate? I recently got some ammo with really dark primers that I hadn't really seen before.

F106 Fan
02-04-2012, 06:31
What does the color of the primer indicate? I recently got some ammo with really dark primers that I hadn't really seen before.

What's the headstamp on the case?

When I mentioned sorting by primer color, it's just because my Federal primers are silver colored and the dreaded .45 ACP small pistol primers are brass colored. It's pretty easy to sort on color first and then take another look at the cases with brass colored primers. Some will have large primers, some small. If there aren't too many, I just toss them without looking.

Richard

Kwesi
02-04-2012, 07:07
The shell plate works great to remove the .380!