Leave it to a motor... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leave it to a motor...

CAcop
10-26-2011, 18:57
...to manage to get enough rust in the cocking serrations for me to think he had carnitas in there.

Trust me with him carnitas is a distinct possiblity.

DaBigBR
10-26-2011, 22:38
Nice.

For us it's always the pool shotguns in the cars. The Chief went cheap, so we got 870 Expresses and nobody (but me) is willing to take the time to clean them. That means that I spend an hour per gun getting all of the surface rust off and relubricating them.

JBaird22
10-27-2011, 00:34
If its everyone's responsibility, its no one's responsibility. This holds extremely true for firearms. Although your duty handgun should be taken care of but to some people its no more important than the bic pen in their pocket.

SDforce
10-27-2011, 00:56
Ok, so it was carnitas... Hey, I get hungry a lot!

ateamer
10-27-2011, 01:19
Lol...CACop, I know exactly who you mean.

Kadetklapp
10-27-2011, 13:05
Several years ago, there was a wanted felon on the loose running around town saying he would not be taken alive. I reported for a weekend shift and asked the marshal if I could go home and get my personal shotgun, as I didn't believe the car I would drive would be so equipped. **** no! He said. "I've got a shotgun right here!" He opens the back of the Durango and pulls up the floor and there in that cubby was the rustiest and dirtiest Remington 870 I'd ever seen. He muttered something like "I should be suspended..." as he tried to open the frozen action. That gun needed almost $200 worth of work to even fire. Shortly thereafter the marshal was fired.

Morris
10-27-2011, 17:51
Had one of my motor guys get his Glock rusty . . . don't get me started.

steveksux
10-27-2011, 18:20
You think the motor guys are tough, you should see the dive team! In Michigan, the fresh water isn't too bad, but man I can just imagine the Florida guys diving in salt water! Got to be tough keeping the guns running...

Randy

collim1
10-27-2011, 18:34
You think the motor guys are tough, you should see the dive team! In Michigan, the fresh water isn't too bad, but man I can just imagine the Florida guys diving in salt water! Got to be tough keeping the guns running...

Randy

One of our slobs had a Sig magazine rusted so bad it was stuck in his pouch. Said he hadn't taken it out since last qual about a year ago. I wanted to slap him.

indigent
10-27-2011, 18:53
I always figured the grease from the Chorizo tacos was good for lubricating the slide????? Maybe I need to rethink this idea.

msu_grad_121
10-27-2011, 18:54
One of our slobs had a Sig magazine rusted so bad it was stuck in his pouch. Said he hadn't taken it out since last qual about a year ago. I wanted to slap him.

I know what you mean. I met a guy who (while on the job) literally never cleaned his Sig. I about lost it when I looked down the barrel and couldn't see daylight cuz of all the dust and crud and God-knows-what caking it up. His exact words? "All that crap will get blown out with the first round in a gunfight!" :wow:

It was at this point that I had an out of body experience, and I had to promise myself I would no longer talk to this mook and then I could re-enter myself.

razdog76
10-27-2011, 19:13
It was at this point that I had an out of body experience, and I had to promise myself I would no longer talk to this mook and then I could re-enter myself.

:rofl:

That may be my new signature line.

msu_grad_121
10-27-2011, 19:31
:rofl:

That may be my new signature line.

Feel free! The ramblings I post on here only rarely make sense, so when they do, I encourage others to spread the word! :wavey:

razdog76
10-27-2011, 19:40
Feel free! The ramblings I post on here only rarely make sense, so when they do, I encourage others to spread the word! :wavey:

Particular to some of the regular trolls.

DaBigBR
10-28-2011, 00:33

Random question:

Why isn't "chicken musket" (or whatever the hell it was) your user title?

(By the way, half the state of Iowa is taking applications right now)

msu_grad_121
10-28-2011, 00:43
Random question:

Why isn't "chicken musket" (or whatever the hell it was) your user title?

(By the way, half the state of Iowa is taking applications right now)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good memory! I might have to change it to that :supergrin:

I'll look into Iowa, but I see a lot of the same issues I've had when looking at Texas, mainly getting there to apply. Can't hurt to look tho, right?

DaBigBR
10-28-2011, 01:58
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good memory! I might have to change it to that :supergrin:

I'll look into Iowa, but I see a lot of the same issues I've had when looking at Texas, mainly getting there to apply. Can't hurt to look tho, right?

I've got a couch you can crash on, for what that's worth.

msu_grad_121
10-28-2011, 03:00
I've got a couch you can crash on, for what that's worth.

Might end up taking you up on that, man. Thanks! :wavey:

lawman800
11-01-2011, 16:09
There was a female officer that hadn't taken her s&w out of her duty holster long enough that the green crud from the leather gear bonded itselfto the gun. She couldn't take it out and finally, after much cursing and gnashing of teeth, we got it freed. Yeah, same officer as the one who wouldn't take her gun out on a burg call because it was probably "just a false alarm".

rookie1
11-02-2011, 16:31
Might end up taking you up on that, man. Thanks! :wavey:

You would also eat Pancheros at least once or twice in your stay.

rookie1
11-02-2011, 16:34
We qualify on out Rifles every quarter and clean them at the end of the day. Some officers run a brush through them, put the bore snake through it once or twice and wipe it down. Myself and one other officer are about 20% done by the time some of these mopes are all put back together. Same with handgun, call me crazy but I take my time and get it nice and clean. Some people are just unreal.

lawman800
11-02-2011, 17:06
I clean my firearms thoroughly after every outing... Except my AR... Haven't cleaned that one yet.

Kadetklapp
11-03-2011, 06:56
I've never detail stripped a Glock. This thread inspired me so I turned to a trusted source in gun smithing, YouTube, and learned. Not too bad. My G32 had about a half a pound of sand in it.

AngryBassets
11-03-2011, 10:29
I detail my Glocks once a year, since I don't shoot as much as used to/should. My .38 is filthy; it's either on my ankle or stuffed IWB every single day.

lawman800
11-03-2011, 10:29
Where do you work? The playground sand box? Our duty weapons get detail stripped every year and the armorers inspect the firing pin spring too because that has a tendency to rust then not push the pin as hard to effect a strike. A few guys needed the springs replaced.

Kadetklapp
11-03-2011, 10:34
Where do you work? The playground sand box? Our duty weapons get detail stripped every year and the armorers inspect the firing pin spring too because that has a tendency to rust then not push the pin as hard to effect a strike. A few guys needed the springs replaced.

Well, this was my personally owned G32 that I noticed this in. I believe it stems from a gun club my dad and I used to go to in an old sand pit. Again, the last time that gun had been detail stripped was when I bought it, and a Glock armorer at the booth at the gun show did it for free as a demonstration to a group of people.

Now that I'm familiar with the process I'm anxious to clean all four of my Glocks properly.

ateamer
11-03-2011, 11:13
We inspect everyone's Glock once a year, during their birth month. Since becoming an armorer, though, I usually do a detail strip when I clean my own Glocks, since I am anal-retentive about them being clean and it doesn't add that much time to it.

RMolina628
11-03-2011, 13:44

There's something about Pancheros that reminds me of drinking way too much:dunno:

msu_grad_121
11-03-2011, 15:31

Is that a good or bad thing? I assume good, but I'm suspicious by natue. :supergrin:

DaBigBR
11-03-2011, 19:56
Is that a good or bad thing? I assume good, but I'm suspicious by natue. :supergrin:

Imagine Chipotle, but infinitely better (IMO). It's franchised throughout the midwest and some other states now. The key is that they press your tortilla from fresh dough while you watch. So freaking good.

msu_grad_121
11-03-2011, 20:29
Imagine Chipotle, but infinitely better (IMO). It's franchised throughout the midwest and some other states now. The key is that they press your tortilla from fresh dough while you watch. So freaking good.

Ohhhhhhh maaaaaaaaan! I'm gonna be such a fatty... :rofl:

opelwasp
11-04-2011, 00:52

We have a place that does that called Costa Vida. I have them leave the tortilla on the cooker longer to get it a better toast. The burritos are heaven!

lawman800
11-04-2011, 01:52
A local chain, chevy's, had a tortilla machine in the middle of the restaurant going the while time with fresh tortillas falling of every few seconds and being grilled on the heated stove top. Good stuff.

DaBigBR
11-04-2011, 02:28
We have a place that does that called Costa Vida. I have them leave the tortilla on the cooker longer to get it a better toast. The burritos are heaven!

A local chain, chevy's, had a tortilla machine in the middle of the restaurant going the while time with fresh tortillas falling of every few seconds and being grilled on the heated stove top. Good stuff.

The fresh tortilla really is all the difference. Just cannot beat it. We actually have a Chipotle in town. I tried it. Once.

steveksux
11-04-2011, 03:00
Imagine Chipotle, but infinitely better (IMO). It's franchised throughout the midwest and some other states now. The key is that they press your tortilla from fresh dough while you watch. So freaking good.Thats a great thing, it also helps avoid "Panchero for a cop" syndrome... You can even see the tortilla being made..

Randy

lawman800
11-04-2011, 12:25
I wasn't all that impressed with chipotle. We have enough authentic mom and pop taquerias that I can east fresh home stuff made every day without repeating for a month.

The local place down the street is 24 hours with the best machaca burrito ever. Then there's another place a mile away that specializes in seafood. Best ceviche.