870 express Parts qestion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 express Parts qestion

micdude
10-27-2011, 11:09
Hey I got some questions for you guys?

I just picked up a 870 express mag 4 +1 with a 18 1/2 inch barrel my first tactual type shotgun, so I would like to upgrade it with some parts and I need some of your guys opinions on quality parts. I would like to put on an extended magazine tube, side saddle and new forend grip.

Whatís a better mag extensions?
-Willson combat
-choate extinction
-remington
-TacStar

Side Saddles?
-TacStar
-Mesa Tac

Any advice you guys have is appreciated thanks.:supergrin:

XDfense
10-27-2011, 11:41
I use the Wilson Combat +2 mag extension. It is very robust. I like the fact you don't need to support it to the barrel for strength. I'm gonna send you a PM on the forend.

B Coyote
10-27-2011, 11:48
Sidesaddle? http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Side-Saddle/Straight-Side-Saddles-p86.html

bc

micdude
10-27-2011, 12:06
Sidesaddle? http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Side-Saddle/Straight-Side-Saddles-p86.html

bc

Thatís cheep what do they look like? I was going to spend more than that on a side saddle.

I am leaning towards wilson combat they do make great AR stuff but I was concerned about it not having a clamp.

B Coyote
10-27-2011, 12:12
Thatís cheep what do they look like? I was going to spend more than that on a side saddle.

I am leaning towards wilson combat they do make great AR stuff but I was concerned about it not having a clamp.

They look fine and work GREAT. I've been using my 870 hard for the last few months, and have never had a shell fall out.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/arvg1/th_126.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/arvg1/?action=view&current=126.jpg)

bc

tenntornado
10-27-2011, 12:59
I like the Remington factory +2 extension.
I wouldnt run a +2 extension without a clamp.
I like buttstock shell carriers better than sidesaddles,but the Mesa seems to be the top of the line.
I like the Remington oem police forend

barca101
10-27-2011, 17:50
I also have a 870 Express Magnum but, w/ the Remington +2 extension. I bought it used and it had a Tac Star 4 rd side saddle that I replaced w/ a 6 rd Mesa Tactical side saddle. It's a solid piece and would recommend it everytime. I know Wilson Combat and Nighthawk Custom use it in their build as an option.

If I had to replace the extension tube, it would be a WC or a Vang Comp. Get the +2 so it evens up with your 18.5 barrel.

A Speedfeed LE forend would be great addition. Also, I ordered some 870 police parts from Brownell that I installed today. I compared it to my express parts and the police parts are more robust. I changed out the mim extractor to a non mim part, I changed the sear spring to the red police spring, and a black dog follower spring.

I know these upgrades may not be necessary, I just wanted it for piece of mind since I use it for patrol/ training.

micdude
10-27-2011, 19:03
I did pick this up in a trade and plan on keeping it around the house. I decided to go with the wilson +2 extension (just got dune ordering it) I think I will get a barrel clamp though.

Hey thanks for the info barca101 I’m going to look into the other parts, I would like it to be just as reliable as the 870p.

aippi
10-27-2011, 20:46
The Wilson tube extension has a stand alone mag tube coupling and requires no barrel bracket. So the only reason to put one on is if it is for a light mount.

If you start putting stuff on the weapon that is not needed you are decreasing the effectiveness of the weapon. Leave the Wilson as is. It is the best value in a tube extension for the 870 and one of the reasons is that it does not need a bracket. Also, Brackets mar your barrel and tube.

micdude
10-27-2011, 22:25
The Wilson tube extension has a stand alone mag tube coupling and requires no barrel bracket. So the only reason to put one on is if it is for a light mount.

If you start putting stuff on the weapon that is not needed you are decreasing the effectiveness of the weapon. Leave the Wilson as is. It is the best value in a tube extension for the 870 and one of the reasons is that it does not need a bracket. Also, Brackets mar your barrel and tube.

Hey thanks never thought about the marring.

micdude
11-07-2011, 18:15
Update

Got my Wilson combat +2 mag extension and installed it in about 20min with a dremel and a socket.I got to say that mag extension is stout and I love it. I also ordered some parts like an extractor spring, Carrier latch spring, and a sear spring from Browells to make my 870 express more an 870 police. Called up Remington and found out that my shotgun was made in 1992 and has the metal trigger group and has a Forged Extractor, I just need a new stock and Iím GTG.

barca101
11-08-2011, 00:58
micdude, after I sent my last thread response, I also ordered the steel extractor, dog follower spring, and police sear spring from Brownell. I watched aippi's video which was very helpful. It was an easy install. Just over the past weekend, I just installed the WC Scattergun Technology big jumbo safety that I also ordered from Brownell, which I thought was the easiest install of all. I had the J Lock, so I'm assuming my 870 must be late 90's or early 2000's b/c I read somewhere they stopped using the J Lock after 2005.

If your trigger group is metal and the extractor is forged, so you didn't have to buy all those other parts then, correct? My trigger housing is fiberglass or something like that. after replacing the safety, it still has the red and white arrow from the J Lock.

Anyways, enjoy the conversion.

micdude
11-08-2011, 02:50
micdude, after I sent my last thread response, I also ordered the steel extractor, dog follower spring, and police sear spring from Brownell. I watched aippi's video which was very helpful. It was an easy install. Just over the past weekend, I just installed the WC Scattergun Technology big jumbo safety that I also ordered from Brownell, which I thought was the easiest install of all. I had the J Lock, so I'm assuming my 870 must be late 90's or early 2000's b/c I read somewhere they stopped using the J Lock after 2005.

If your trigger group is metal and the extractor is forged, so you didn't have to buy all those other parts then, correct? My trigger housing is fiberglass or something like that. after replacing the safety, it strat has the red and white arrow from the J Lock.

Anyways, enjoy the conversion.

I lucked out on this shotgun no j-lock, plastic trigger housing, or MIM extactor I think I like the standard safty though its flush when its off.

Here is a website that helped me:

http://rifleshooter.com/2011/07/tactical-remington-870-build/

Good luck with your project :cool:

I'm not sold on the plastic tigger group being a bad thing though.

micdude
11-15-2011, 14:04
Here is what I have dune so far:

-Wilson combat +2 mag extension
-Blackhawk stock and forgrip
-extractor spring
-dog follower spring
-sear spring

Still looking for a better forgrip I dont like the blackhawk one.

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo43/micdude/bigboy2.jpg