Chemically remove Glock finish from slide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chemically remove Glock finish from slide

rbhale32
10-27-2011, 13:24
Is there anyone that can recommend a good chemical way of removing the black finish from a Glock slide? I know I can just have it bead blasted off, but I want to keep the original texture and just remove the black. Its a Gen3 RTF Glock 19, so it's not the parkerized slide. I would just try MEK, but that stuff makes me throw up on myself every time I use it, so if there is a slightly less harsh way of doing it, that would be helpfull. I've already tried searching, and the posts didn't help, so if anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave.1
10-27-2011, 13:41
I've seen people soak barrels in vinegar overnight and then polish them to get all the black off.

You'd have to detail strip the slide, including taking the channel liner out.

Dave

rbhale32
10-27-2011, 14:23
I tried the vinegar thing about a week ago. It does work on a barrel, but it does not even touch the slide finish.

dreis454
10-27-2011, 14:24
Oven cleaner...

JBnTX
10-27-2011, 15:00
Why?:dunno:

Javelin
10-27-2011, 15:02
Why?:dunno:

Yeah... I am wondering that myself.

rbhale32
10-27-2011, 17:24
Curiosity, and the fact that if it doesn't look exactly how I want it, then I'm going to get it hard chromed or cera-plated anyway, and the slide will have to be blasted to do that, so I figured I'd see what the bare Tenifered slide looks like first. Thats the main reason I want it chemically done, so no metal gets tampered with.

cciman
10-31-2011, 18:41
Try brake fluid (not cleaner), let me know if it works.

Seems to take the paint off anything else.

bophi
11-10-2011, 17:12
Is there anyone that can recommend a good chemical way of removing the black finish from a Glock slide? I know I can just have it bead blasted off, but I want to keep the original texture and just remove the black. Its a Gen3 RTF Glock 19, so it's not the parkerized slide. I would just try MEK, but that stuff makes me throw up on myself every time I use it, so if there is a slightly less harsh way of doing it, that would be helpfull. I've already tried searching, and the posts didn't help, so if anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

my g19 gen 1 , the slide was refinished when i got it it looked like it it was painted, so i use a wire wheel on a air grinder and all of that black stuff came off w.o any problem, and the slide looks like s/s and it will not rust.