Philly PD assault OCer at gunpoint-Chapter VI-Viper Not Guilty [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Philly PD assault OCer at gunpoint-Chapter VI-Viper Not Guilty

Jud325
10-27-2011, 11:47
Mark was found not guilty on both counts.

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CPReport.aspx?docketNumber=MC-51-CR-0017077-2011

IT0
10-27-2011, 12:00

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CPReport.aspx?docketNumber=MC-51-CR-0017077-2011

Thank you for the update, I have been watching this one.

It amazes me how people who are wrong, work so hard to not be wrong, that they just draw more attention, to how wrong they were in the first place.

RussP
10-27-2011, 13:30
Congratulations, Viper!

You stuck with it and set good precedence with Philadelphia PD!

RussP
10-27-2011, 13:43
Chapter V can be found here Philly PD assault OCer at gunpoint-Chapter V-Viper's story on philly.com (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343204&highlight=Philly+assault)

OctoberRust
10-27-2011, 13:53
You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride..... This saying applies to this topic well.

No disrespect to this law-abiding citizen who was just practicing his right to do so. Just the way it goes.

RussP
10-27-2011, 14:35
Here is a post on pafoa.com made by a member present in the courtroom during the trial. It contains notes on Sgt Dougherty's testimony.

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/126083-arrested-philadelphia-police-open-carry-page-76.html#post1778591

I want to remind everyone that all discussions of this post will adhere to Glock Talk Rules, Policies and TOS.

Sam Spade
10-27-2011, 15:16
You stuck with it and set good precedence!

My congratulations as well.

But unless a case is decided at Appeals or higher, it's not a binding precedent on the system.

twency
10-27-2011, 15:46

:supergrin:

Excellent!

RussP
10-27-2011, 15:54
My congratulations as well.

But unless a case is decided at Appeals or higher, it's not a binding precedent on the system.Correct. I should have completed my thought.

The precedent was with Philadelphia PD, although it is my understanding that officers began receiving updated training on open carry very soon after the incident.

Sam Spade
10-27-2011, 15:58
The precedent was with Philadelphia PD, although it is my understanding that officers began receiving updated training on open carry very soon after the incident.

And now that he's been acquitted, they've got a judge's word as to what they can/can't charge.

Unfortunately, this doesn't address the issue of who can/can't be stopped and how.

Jeff82
10-27-2011, 16:07
1. Don't know Viper would want his personal info posted.
2. Russ, your link takes me to the first post on page 76. I didn't find the post where they talk about any court room testimony (these posts were dated last March). Can you give more precise directions?

trashcat
10-27-2011, 16:40
You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride..... This saying applies to this topic well.

No disrespect to this law-abiding citizen who was just practicing his right to do so. Just the way it goes.

Translation
Screw legality we can harass you and detain you for any reason we want. Nothing will happen to us unless you spend months or years and a substantial amount of money fighting back in the courts.
I'm glad he was finally cleared and I hope he wins his planned civil case also.

Before people try to label me as anti-cop, I'm not. I'm anti "Us verses Them" mentality that has become the ethos of some LE departments. I think the majority of departments are doing a great job of protecting and serving their communities.

RussP
10-27-2011, 17:22
1. Don't know Viper would want his personal info posted.That site has been cited on other sites where he participates as well as here while he was participating without his objection. 2. Russ, your link takes me to the first post on page 76. I didn't find the post where they talk about any court room testimony (these posts were dated last March). Can you give more precise directions?Post #3008.

RussP
10-27-2011, 17:24
And now that he's been acquitted, they've got a judge's word as to what they can/can't charge.

Unfortunately, this doesn't address the issue of who can/can't be stopped and how.The who and how was covered in the training updates.

rvrctyrngr
10-27-2011, 17:40
That's great to hear. Thanks for the update, and a huge CONGA-RATS to Mark and his attorney.

Peace Frog
10-29-2011, 07:56
Excellent news!

Congratulations Mark!

OctoberRust
10-29-2011, 22:10
Translation
Screw legality we can harass you and detain you for any reason we want. Nothing will happen to us unless you spend months or years and a substantial amount of money fighting back in the courts.
I'm glad he was finally cleared and I hope he wins his planned civil case also.

Before people try to label me as anti-cop, I'm not. I'm anti "Us verses Them" mentality that has become the ethos of some LE departments. I think the majority of departments are doing a great job of protecting and serving their communities.

You're preaching to the choir. I agree with everything you said in that post.

Master_Blaster1911
10-31-2011, 21:15
...Unfortunately, this doesn't address the issue of who can/can't be stopped and how.

If I understood correctly Open Carry is actually illegal, illegal unless you have a LTCF.

See the situations that puts the police in? If they see you OCin' you are on the face of it, breaking the law with a gun.

This is what we get with inane gun laws.

Hopefully this case at lease puts some polite tones to the police's inquiry as to whether the OCer has a LTCF.

dkf
10-31-2011, 21:22
If I understood correctly Open Carry is actually illegal, illegal unless you have a LTCF.

See the situations that puts the police in? If they see you OCin' you are on the face of it, breaking the law with a gun.

This is what we get with inane gun laws.

Hopefully this case at lease puts some polite tones to the police's inquiry as to whether the OCer has a LTCF.

You only need a LTCF to open carry in PA in a "city of the first class". In PA the only city that meets the requirements for "city of the first class" is Philadelphia (even though there is truly nothing "first class" about Philly or the PPD)

Regardless there was still no reason for him to have a gun pointed at him for OCing holstered weapon while walking down the street.

Mister_Beefy
10-31-2011, 21:47
You're preaching to the choir. I agree with everything you said in that post.

as do I.

this was a victory for the good guys (gun owners and OPEN CARRY.)

and a loss for the bad guys ("the system")

jeffyjeff
10-31-2011, 21:52

the same situation they're in when they see someone driving a car? it is illegal to drive without a driver's license you know.

AZson
10-31-2011, 21:56
Now if he could go after all of those cops badges, so this does not happen again and get a few million from the city for it might not be bad either.