38 Special Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 38 Special Help

Mixednuts
10-27-2011, 16:43
Hopefully within the next month I will be picking up a pair of revolvers for my wife and I to plink with. To keep costs in check I am naturally going to reload as I currently do for my 9mm semi's. The problem I am having is locating a 140+ gr jacketed bullet for the application. Precision Delta is my preferred source for 9mm bullets but unless I'm missing something, they only offer lead bullets for the 38 special. I am aware of Berry's and Rainier's offerings but would like to stick with a jacketed bullet in lieu of a plated one if at all possible.

I am hoping there is a company that offers a jacketed, 140+gr bullet for around $120 per 1000 but I may be asking for too much. Any suggestions?

PCJim
10-27-2011, 16:51
I'll refer you to Montana Gold Bullets website, www.montanagoldbullet.com (http://www.montanagoldbullet.com)

They have a couple designs that fit your requirements.

XDRoX
10-27-2011, 17:46
Consider loading lead. 38spl loves lead. You'll have way more options, way more load data, way more fun, and save money.

Jacketed 38spl must be loaded pretty hot to prevent a bullet from getting stuck in the barrel. And if your wife is recoil sensitive then she'd love to shoot some soft shooting lead rounds. You can also load lead to mag velocities as well.

Mixednuts
10-27-2011, 17:53
Consider loading lead. 38spl loves lead. You'll have way more options, way more load data, way more fun, and save money.

Jacketed 38spl must be loaded pretty hot to prevent a bullet from getting stuck in the barrel. And if your wife is recoil sensitive then she'd love to shoot some soft shooting lead rounds. You can also load lead to mag velocities as well.

Honestly I would love to shoot lead simply for the cost savings but the range we frequent is indoor and does not allow non-jacketed lead bullets. Maybe I just need to resign myself to shooting a plated bullet like Berry's.

humphreys19
10-27-2011, 18:43
I have shot a bazillion ( OK, maybe 10,000 ) berry's in .38 and .357, they work great. I use the 158 gr flat point or the 158 HP interchangeably. Try them.

Happy shooting,
Tom

humphreys19
10-27-2011, 18:52
Additional note: Don't over crimp plated bullets, or bad things happen. Taper crimp, or a light roll crimp work fine. I roll crimp to the point where you can just see it is crimped, but it does not bury the mouth edge into the plating. This has been sufficient up to around 1100 fps without bullet pulling under recoil.

Tom

Dasglockenspiel
10-27-2011, 19:01
I reload a lot of 38 special for my 357s. I load whatever I can get a bargain on. I shoot a great deal of Oregon Trail 125 Gr when it was less costly. I will occaisionally buy bulk of various wts and type that are on sale. Still averaging under 8 cent / bullet overall based upon specials.

Also, 38 special can digest a wide variety powder so good buys on powder can further your savings. Shotgun powders on sale are a good example.

Dasglockenspiel

frankmako
10-27-2011, 19:06
i load cast lead for my wheel guns. 148gr wad cutter and 158gr round nose. works well.

bush pilot
10-27-2011, 20:55
Honestly I would love to shoot lead simply for the cost savings but the range we frequent is indoor and does not allow non-jacketed lead bullets. Maybe I just need to resign myself to shooting a plated bullet like Berry's.

"Resign" yourself to shooting plated bullets? There's nothing wrong with plated. The thought of shooting jacketed bullets for plinking makes me cringe (I'm cheap) Do some shopping, I believe there are cheaper bullets than Berrys for your purpose.

ColoCG
10-27-2011, 21:16
Try some of these: http://www.tjconevera.com/xtremebullets.html

http://www.tjconevera.com/berrys-bullets.html Price icludes shipping

ejs54
10-29-2011, 19:21
Montana Gold and the X-Treme Plated are both very good bullets. I use MG more for my 357 loads and X-Treme for 38 Spec.

MtnBiker
10-30-2011, 09:46

I've had great luck shooting Berry's 125 GR through my 642.

LoadedTech
10-30-2011, 10:17
The Berry's dont have a crimp grove and even with a good crimp and med. heavy load the bullets jumped forward on me a few times locking up my ruger. The Xtreme's have a crimp grove and I havent had an issue with hot loads in 3-4k rounds. Plated isn't that much more then lead and smoke a whole lot less when shooting indoors, like I do.

32dgrz
10-30-2011, 15:10
The Berry's dont have a crimp grove and even with a good crimp and med. heavy load the bullets jumped forward on me a few times locking up my ruger. The Xtreme's have a crimp grove and I havent had an issue with hot loads in 3-4k rounds. Plated isn't that much more then lead and smoke a whole lot less when shooting indoors, like I do.

I buy 158 swc lead for 44.00 per K
I've never found anything close to that in jacketed or plated

MtnBiker
10-30-2011, 16:55
I buy 158 swc lead for 44.00 per K
I've never found anything close to that in jacketed or plated

You're right about the price. You can't beat the price of lead bullets. On the other hand a lot of indoor ranges don't allow them now. I've even seen an indoor range that won't allow copper jacketed ammo if the lead is exposed at the base.

I love the smell of burnt gunpowder, but I hate inhaling lead. To me, it's worth the extra cost to buy the plated bullets.

LoadedTech
10-30-2011, 16:59
Like Mtnbiker said, Very good price, but for indoor ranges I prefer plated. X-treme plated at that. In addition, there isn't any lead build up inside the barrel from plated bullets.

Kentguy
10-30-2011, 17:27
Some time ago I picked up an old (but in GREAT shape) Smith & Wesson Model 10, .38 Special, with a 4" heavy barrel.
Here is what I tested with, I purchased these at MidwayUSA.com:

Suter's Choice Cast Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/835261/suters-choice-cast-bullets-38-caliber-357-diameter-158-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-box-of-500

Rainier's 158g Plated Round Nose, (357"dia") Bullets
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/1050208510/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-38-caliber-357-diameter-158-grain-plated-round-nose

Both were excellent but I agree with others... I love the lead!

TonyT
10-30-2011, 19:09
Hopefully within the next month I will be picking up a pair of revolvers for my wife and I to plink with. To keep costs in check I am naturally going to reload as I currently do for my 9mm semi's. The problem I am having is locating a 140+ gr jacketed bullet for the application. Precision Delta is my preferred source for 9mm bullets but unless I'm missing something, they only offer lead bullets for the 38 special. I am aware of Berry's and Rainier's offerings but would like to stick with a jacketed bullet in lieu of a plated one if at all possible.

I am hoping there is a company that offers a jacketed, 140+gr bullet for around $120 per 1000 but I may be asking for too much. Any suggestions?
I believe Montana Gold offers a 140 gr. FMJ bullet.

MtnBiker
11-04-2011, 18:08
For anyone who is interested. Cabela's has a pretty good sale on Berry's plated bullets. In .38 special, with 125 or 148 gr. bullets, you can beat that price of 1k for $120. In fact, it comes in below $100 for some bullets. Oh yeah, for the next few days they have a deal on shipping too.

MinervaDoe
11-04-2011, 20:14
Midway has 125 Grain plated Flat Nose Raniers for $98.00 for 1,000.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050372030/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-38-caliber-357-diameter-125-grain-plated-flat-nose

Precision Deltas prices for lead .38 special bullets includes shipping
http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php?indx=5