Utah Concealed Permit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Utah Concealed Permit?

dooga
10-27-2011, 18:28
A brother of mine who is a LOE told me that I can petition Utah for a concealed carry permit even though I am not a Utah resident. Is there any value in this since I am allegedly 30 days away from my CCW in VA? It seems to me that reciprocity is growing nationally. Is the Utah thing still a thing?

cola490
10-27-2011, 20:34
Yes, the Utah non-resident permit is still a thing. You need to check if it will give you more reciprocity then your VA permit alone will.

dooga
10-27-2011, 20:48
Well, it looks like there are quite a few around. Also, there's the FL nonresident. I have found some local classes. Do I need to secure my VA CCW first? Thanks for your prompt reply.

cola490
10-27-2011, 21:01
Yes you need to obtain your home resident permit first. That is a fairly new requirement,if your state has cc you must get there's first.
I live in the "great" state of Illinois, which has no cc, so we can get a Utah non-resident permit.

Brainglock
10-27-2011, 21:16
I went and applied for my Utah permit like a month ago and I'm just waiting on everything to get back. Great teacher (Retired police) that does the class in like 4 hour. I remember him tell the Va people that they need to something special for Va rules.The class is in Temple Hills right off the beltway by Marlow Heights shopping center to the left of Giant next to the barber shop. The only problem i had was waiting and not doing it earlier. The teacher also does training for armed guards. Nov 12 is the next class date just go do it. Quick and easy. http://http://www.guard-training.com/astc8_007.htm

cola490
10-27-2011, 22:27
Another strange thing about the process, after I completed the class and submitted my application and fingerprints, which you have to have done locally, I received my permit from Utah. Then about 2 weeks later I receive a notice that my fingerprints were rejected, not because of any criminal background, but they were not taken properly and were too blurry to be read by the FBI.

I have since resubmitted them, hopefully by a more qualified person. I contacted Utah, and they said they do not let you know if the prints are accepted, only if they are rejected. So even though you have a permit that says you are licensed, if the police run a check it might not be good. So the thing to do is wait at least a month after you receive the permit and call Utah, before you start carrying anywhere.

Pro 2A
10-27-2011, 23:19
This site lets you see which states accept your home state permit and which states a non-resident permit would add. So you can compare the Utah and FL.
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php

I have Utah and my husband has FL. There is only 1 state that is different between the two (I don't recall which one) when coupled with our Indiana permits. He went with FL because the class was closer. I went with Utah because at the time I didn't know about FL so I thought Utah was the only option. Not sure I'd change my decision now though. Don't forget to compare permit costs and renewal costs too.

JuneyBooney
10-27-2011, 23:28
This site lets you see which states accept your home state permit and which states a non-resident permit would add. So you can compare the Utah and FL.
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php

I have Utah and my husband has FL. There is only 1 state that is different between the two (I don't recall which one) when coupled with our Indiana permits. He went with FL because the class was closer. I went with Utah because at the time I didn't know about FL so I thought Utah was the only option. Not sure I'd change my decision now though. Don't forget to compare permit costs and renewal costs too.

Florida and Utah are both good to have. Arizona is also another good one to get.

EAJuggalo
10-28-2011, 06:43
MN is different between FL and UT. We accept UT but not FL.

kensteele
10-28-2011, 08:09
The reason why I chose UT over FL years ago, before the national reciprocity list was as large as it is today, I believed that the UT permit would be more likely to be recognised over FL for new and emerging CCW states, particularly those out West. IOW, I found more future value in the UT permit.