Resume Builders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Resume Builders

Alderak
10-28-2011, 11:46
Okay - I recently applied for my first LEO position with the local Sheriff's Department. 75 applicants and 3 jobs.

I managed to pass both the written and physical tests, but still didn't get a job interview. I have no applicable experience and no training.

What would you do to beef up your resume in my shoes?

My ideas:

EMT Basic Cert.
Apply to local PD and put in a couple years.
Keep and eye open for detention positions w/ the Sheriff's Department

Pay my way through the Academy

What would be the most valued and efficient in terms of time/money?

Alderak
10-28-2011, 11:49
Obviously there will always be room for improvement on physical tests, and I doubt I got a 100% on the written portion. I will be studying and working out to make sure I get the most points possible from those portions next time around.

DaBigBR
10-28-2011, 11:56
Do you know WHY you were not interviewed?

This like agency size and employee protections (such as civil service and unions) can impact how much latitude an agency has in the way their process is conducted. It's not uncommon to see agencies only give interviews to the top X number of candidates based upon written test scores.

Alderak
10-28-2011, 12:14
They hide their formula, but you are awarded points based upon your resume, written test score, and physical test time.

The one they explained the most thoroughly was the physical test;

ineligible for a time over 5:30
4 pts for 5:29-4:30
8 pts for under 4:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObQcu2BJ5KU
I got under 4 minutes on the MPAT, or 8 points.

However I have no idea how many points are possible on the written and resume portions. A good percentage of the applicants in my group got all 8 points on the physical test portion, so maybe they use actual time to break ties. Either way, I think I need to better study for the written test, and build my resume.

They interviewed the people with the most points after considering the resume, physical and written. I don't think they even called my references. Its extremely hard to wade through that many applicants, so they use the written and physical tests as well as apparent experience to narrow it down to the interview pool.

scottydl
10-29-2011, 17:57
My advice is keep applying to other departments, and don't get too hung on a specific agency. It's not that you shouldn't have any goals for where you want to work, but starting out you need to keep your options open. You'll drive yourself batty if you dwell too much on a certain agency and their testing process. Move on, and maybe come back next year and try again for the Sheriff's department to see if it goes any differently. Any of the items you mentioned above may be helpful in resume-building, but it's impossible to know if any of those things would have improved your ranking in this particular test.

FWIW the average hiring rate for LE jobs is 1-2 out of every 100 that apply. I've seen that statistic broken down and explained in each phase of testing, not sure if there's a link out there with the info.

Sharky7
10-29-2011, 18:22
My advice is keep applying to other departments, and don't get too hung on a specific agency. It's not that you shouldn't have any goals for where you want to work, but starting out you need to keep your options open. You'll drive yourself batty if you dwell too much on a certain agency and their testing process. Move on, and maybe come back next year and try again for the Sheriff's department to see if it goes any differently. Any of the items you mentioned above may be helpful in resume-building, but it's impossible to know if any of those things would have improved your ranking in this particular test.

FWIW the average hiring rate for LE jobs is 1-2 out of every 100 that apply. I've seen that statistic broken down and explained in each phase of testing, not sure if there's a link out there with the info.

Good advice.

In the mean time, Spanish is a good language to know at least in my area. If you are looking for a boost on your resume, try taking some classes. Even if you aren't fluent, it helps to have some basic knowledge doing the job.

blueiron
10-29-2011, 18:26
Ignore the 'calculus' behind not getting hired - you are assuming that there is a definitive mathematical formula that is the absolute determinate in hiring. I don't know of an agency around me that does such a thing. The agencies around me have staff meetings and the members vote to recommend/not recommend hiring from a list of qualified applicants. The chief has the final say in hiring and can hire the last person on the list and ignore everyone else.

Consider that you are not trying to meet a minimum score, you are competing against your fellow applicants and their qualifications. If everyone competing against you has higher educational levels, experience, etc., you are trying to grab the attention of those responsible for hiring.

Unless the agency states a preference for EMT qualified applicants, don't bother. Many agencies do not want officers/deputies/troopers involved in higher levels of EMS because they do not specifically train in that venue, the agencies do not provide equipment to facilitate EMS delivery, and they are concerned over malpractice of reasonable care standards.

Use a personal trainer to hit 75% > on the Cooper standard. You can never be too physically fit. Stay away from bulking up.

If you do not have an undergraduate degree, begin taking academic classes towards that goal - stay away from LE/CJ/AJ classes. If you do have an undergrad or grad degree, go back and take classes in technical or professional writing. Poor report writing abuses and ruins many trainees and or officers.

Research what the agency wants from its officers and mod yourself to those standards.

Be prepared to work for any agency that will hire you. You may want to work for agency A, but for whatever reason[s], they may not be interested in you. You can always apply elsewhere later on when you have more experience and have proven yourself.

Alderak
10-29-2011, 20:35
Thanks for the help fellas.

My advice is keep applying to other departments, and don't get too hung on a specific agency.

This is good advice and something I needed to hear again.

In the mean time, Spanish is a good language to know

I've got 3 years of Spanish under my belt. Unfortunately not a lot of it has stuck. I'm a lot closer to Canada than Mexico.

Many agencies do not want officers/deputies/troopers involved in higher levels of EMS because they do not specifically train in that venue, the agencies do not provide equipment to facilitate EMS delivery, and they are concerned over malpractice of reasonable care standards.

I can't help but be ashamed of a society where we sue people for trying to help. A friend told me that he knows some health care professionals who refuse to stop at car accidents because of the risk. Obviously I don't want some Gumby performing an emergency tracheotomy on me to treat my broken ankle, but where does it end?

Thanks again.