Pws mk114 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pws mk114

UniversalBrow06
10-28-2011, 20:32
Can someone give me some info on PWS and specifically this model? I really don't hear much about Primary Weapon Systems, and I'm really curious. Are they a high level company? Who in the DI AR market would you compare them to? Do you recommend this specific model, or is there another model you prefer? And what's with this proprietary non-floating rail system?

jrs93accord
10-29-2011, 07:24
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=178&idcategory=15

mixflip
10-29-2011, 10:30
GT member Airborne Infantryman is our go to guy here on the MK114. He should be along soon.

Dmack over at snipershide did an excellent review of his.
http://206.125.47.33/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2202139

The 3 guys that made me decide to buy a MK114 (some day soon) is Airborne Infantryman, Dmack and of course Paul Howe of CSAT. (fyi, Paul Howe is a former Delta who fought in Mogadishu/Blackhawk down)

I would not compare any d.i. to the PWS MK114 because they are just too different. If you are simply comparing quality level...then I'd say they are basically top tier quality. As far as piston guns go, I am 100% sold on the logic behind a long stroke system. I have done alot of home work on this gun and the day I have an extra $1500 this will be the rifle I buy next.

jrs93accord
10-29-2011, 12:43
mixflip, when it comes to piston ARs, I have to agree that the PWS ARs are first class. I would rank them right there with LWRC.

Airborne Infantryman
10-29-2011, 13:12
Can someone give me some info on PWS and specifically this model? I really don't hear much about Primary Weapon Systems, and I'm really curious. Are they a high level company? Who in the DI AR market would you compare them to? Do you recommend this specific model, or is there another model you prefer? And what's with this proprietary non-floating rail system?

I have a PWS MK114, and its a VERY nice AR. I also have two LWRCs as well to compare the PWS to.

The PWS is every bit as good as the LWRCs, with albeit, a little less refinement.....but you can't expect to get $2300 worth of gun for $1500. I'm referring to the non-free floated barrel, and the internal coatings. The safety selector also doesn't feel as positive as those on my two LWRCs. Again, you can't expect to get $2300 worth of gun for $1500.

The proprietary rail is interesting; you can replace the individual rail sections if they get messed up. It does bolt up to the gas block, and the rail gets pretty warm. I recommend wearing gloves when shooting, as all the gas shoots out around the top rail, about 3 inches from the very front of the weapon.

All the internals are coated with a substance called "Micro Slick", which is similar to EXO, but nowhere near as slick.

The enhanced buffer tube is nice, and all the stocks I put on it were tight, with little to no wobble. I had a VLTOR IMod, MagPul MOE, MagPul CTR, LMT SOPMOD, and MagPul ACS on the rifle, and all locked up tight, and had little to no wobble.

The MK114 comes with a pinned SM556 muzzle break, which will accept a Gemtech Halo.

Accuracy is good, although accuracy is never something I'm too wrapped up in or concerned about, because 1.) 99.9% of shooters cannot shoot to the full potential of the firearm, and 2.) I shoot for minute of man, not minute of angle.

If you wanna go piston, and don't want to spend the premium on an LWRC, then I highly recommend PWS. They make a solid rifle that will serve you well. I will say though, that if you have the $$$ for an LWRC, go with LWRC.