Shooting deer in the neck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting deer in the neck

EL COLONEL
10-29-2011, 05:25
Where on the neck do u shoot deer ? High , low , middle or where ever ? Thanx

bnkrtstk
10-29-2011, 06:20
Here is where my daughter put the shot on her first deer. He was DRT 100yds away.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f215/bnkrtstk/Shot.jpg

barstoolguru
10-29-2011, 08:42
You don't unless you want to chase them down. Take a shoulder shot and brake the shoulder and lungs. A missed place shot will injure a deer just to run off and die in the woods<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

CanyonMan
10-29-2011, 09:19
Here is where my daughter put the shot on her first deer. He was DRT 100yds away.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f215/bnkrtstk/Shot.jpg

Congrats to your daughter on the shot.

In your pic, which is a great answer to the OP's question, any where between that hole, and on up the neck several inches is the sweet spot. Then OP, you must consider a frontal neck shot as well, if the chest area was not exposed. The white patch in the front makes for a good target dead center, 'IF you cannot get one to the chest for some reason', just be careful there....

Good pic amigo.

CM

smokeross
10-29-2011, 10:29
You don't unless you want to chase them down. Take a shoulder shot and brake the shoulder and lungs. A missed place shot will injure a deer just to run off and die in the woods<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>
A shot through the shoulder will ruin a lot of meat. Shoot it in the neck if you can. A lung shot is the next best thing. A few ribs back from the shoulder blade. The neck has always been my preferred shot on all big game. They don't go ANYWHERE. And they bleed out nice.

noway
10-29-2011, 15:18
The best shot is right where you hand is at.

It got the job done right ? and in your own words ... DRT :wavey:

I'll let the other MQB the need for neck shooting a deer. There's a whole list or why todo and why not todo it.

sourdough44
10-30-2011, 06:18
I'd just be sure at whatever range you shoot you can put that bullet right where it needs to go. You have more leeway with the traditional shoulder/heart/lung shot. I took a black bear this Fall with a neck shot. It was very steady at 25 yards, he went nowhere but right down. I was using my 284win.

Years back I was with a buddy after he shot a deer. I went over to have a look. I said nice shot when I saw the hit centered in the neck. He said, 'yeah, but I was aiming for the shoulder'. As I remember the shot it was off-hand at 70 yards or so.

A few years ago I decided to burn an anterless tag. When I had an ideal 10-12 yard shot at the top of a hill I took it, near the base of the ear. Would I do that under average field conditions at 75-100 yards, no.

vafish
10-31-2011, 07:16
I've neck shot a lot of deer over the years. Only 3 of them took more then a step.

First one was low and took out the throat and jugular veins. He ran over a hundred yards but left a very easy blood trail in the snow.

Second one was high and barely clipped the for on the top of his neck. He ran towards me, I put a round through his chest he kept coming past me at a slow walk and I put one more through his neck as he walked under my stand.

Third one was with a muzzle loader, again hit high and barely clipped the fur on his neck. He would have survived just fine but he ran past my son who put him down with a chest shot.

The two time that the neck shot went high the free would have survived just fine if they had not run into another bullet

RRTX11
11-01-2011, 07:18
My average shot is between 100 and 250 yards. On hogs I take head shots right in the ear hole unless I am trying to get two hogs with one shot. Then I do a double lung shot on both. For deer I always take a double lung shot about 6 inches behind the front shoulder. I have not had a deer go more than a step with that shot. I used to shoot nothing but shoulder shots until I started processing my own deer and making my own sausage. Nothing like spending hours digging shoulder bone splinters out of your meat.