LCP Vs. S&W Bodyguard .380ACP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LCP Vs. S&W Bodyguard .380ACP?

DonGlock26
10-29-2011, 10:15
LCP Vs. S&W Bodyguard .380ACP?

I'm looking for a reliable .380 pocket pistol. Which would be better for pocket carry? Which has been better regarding reliability? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Don

_

ratf51
10-29-2011, 10:18
Tagged. I may be needing the same question answered before long.

TN.Frank
10-29-2011, 10:22
I've always had good luck with the Ruger pistols I've owned and having a S&W Sigma kind of left me with bad feelings about their poly semi autos but after taking a look at an M&P 45 I think S&W may have gotten it's act together.
I've read up on both the LCP and Bodyguard and the Bodyguard seems to have a few "bells and whistles" that make it more user friendly then the LCP. Of course I'm not crazy about the laser but I guess I could just not use it if I didn't want to.
If you could get either for the same price, as much as I hate to say it, I'd probably give the edge to the Bodyguard from things I've read about it.

JimIsland
10-29-2011, 10:37
I had a BodyGuard and sold it to a friend. Honestly, It was a great little piece and never had one malfunction. I just couldn't get used to the loooong trigger. I'm searching for a new pocket pistol myself and have narrowed it down to a Ruger LCP, Diamond back or possibly a Kel-Tec .32. That little thing weighs nothing!!!

Manolito1
10-29-2011, 11:14
I just bought a S&W 380 bodyguard waiting the ten days so I can't speak to working the range with it.

G26S239
10-29-2011, 13:48
I have an LCP that I have put over 500 rounds through, no malfunctions at all. It has fed hardball, Critical Defense and Remington 102 grain BJHPs so far. It is very small and flat. I have not tried the S&W.

Travclem
10-29-2011, 13:56
Of those 2 I'd say the Ruger. It's more pocketable than the Smith IMO, they are pocket guns after all.

Edit: another reason is I don't like lasers and if I did, I'd rather it be removable.

fastbolt
10-29-2011, 14:07
If it were me, I'd wait until after both models had been out and in general service for at least 2 years before asking this question. :)

No rush to be among the Beta Testers, is there? ;)

On the other hand, although the use of the laser isn't authorized (disable by removal of batteries?), it appears the Bodyguard .380 is already considered suitable for authorized use by LAPD officers.

FWIW, one of our guys just picked up a new LC9 (to potentially replace his 642 for backup & off-duty). Unfortunately, his first range session revealed the gun has pretty frequent light primer hits using at 3 different types of duty loads. It did it when I tried it, too. Back to the company for correction.

I've jumped the gun and tried "new" models from different companies at one time or another. I decided some time ago I was tired of helping them identify minor issues can arise with new designs during the first couple of years.

It's still bad enough when makes/models are receiving revisions, updates, refinements and improvements after a few years ... or several years. :whistling:

In the spirit of the question, I've only learned of a couple of guys who picked up LCP's. One of them is a friend (another instructor). His has done fine, although the long trigger gave him some grief and required some adjustment on his part, and he finally had to install a rubber grip to help him control it under rapid fire.

The other guy I only learned about in passing, when he was using a new one for qualification. I wasn't working with him, myself, but as I recall he may have had a couple of minor issues during the course of fire (which might well have been shooter-related for all I know). I wasn't interested enough in the new gun to look into it, since it was being handled by another couple of instructors, and I had other things to hold my attention that afternoon.

Luck to you whichever way you choose.

At least the S&W gun is supported by free prepaid shipping for their lifetime warranty, and the company has always placed an emphasis on quickly fixing and returning guns for both owners with a looming competition and LE owners.

NeverMore1701
10-29-2011, 14:51
I had a Kel-Tec P3AT that was perfectly reliable over several years and hundreds of rounds. Traded it in for a Sig P238 and couldn't possibly be happier. A little heavier, but that just makes for quicker follow-up shots, more comfortable in hand, real sights (and night sights at that), and a very nice trigger pull compared to most micro pistols.

DonGlock26
10-29-2011, 14:51
Thanks guys!

Based on my research, the LCP is probably the better pocket pistol due to size and sights, while the BG is more refined for shooting with better sights, ect.

_

Jack Black
10-29-2011, 15:46
I had a BodyGuard and sold it to a friend. Honestly, It was a great little piece and never had one malfunction. I just couldn't get used to the loooong trigger. I'm searching for a new pocket pistol myself and have narrowed it down to a Ruger LCP, Diamond back or possibly a Kel-Tec .32. That little thing weighs nothing!!!

While I haven't shot the BodyGuard, I can't imagine you liking the LCP if you don't want a long trigger. The LCP's trigger is extremely long and breaks almost all the way to the rear.

fastbolt
10-29-2011, 16:01
While I haven't shot the BodyGuard, I can't imagine you liking the LCP if you don't want a long trigger. The LCP's trigger is extremely long and breaks almost all the way to the rear.

My friend who bought the LCP described it as feeling like you're almost about to run out of trigger guard and room for trigger movement before the gun fires.

NeverMore1701
10-29-2011, 16:32
My friend who bought the LCP described it as feeling like you're almost about to run out of trigger guard and room for trigger movement before the gun fires.

Pretty accurate.

Ebb27
10-29-2011, 16:38
If it were me, I'd wait until after both models had been out and in general service for at least 2 years before asking this question. :)

No rush to be among the Beta Testers, is there? ;)

The LCP was introduced in 2008 and did have some early issues but I haven't heard of any issues lately.

With all the thousands of them sold and all the Ruger-bashing and gun-snobbery that goes on here on the net I'm sure we'd be hearing about any issues.

NeverMore1701
10-29-2011, 16:42
The LCP was introduced in 2008 and did have some early issues but I haven't heard of any issues lately.

And the Kel-Tec P3AT, of which it's a copy, years before.

fastbolt
10-29-2011, 16:54

With all the thousands of them sold and all the Ruger-bashing and gun-snobbery that goes on here on the net I'm sure we'd be hearing about any issues.

Okay, you'd think that after 3 years they'd have the bugs worked out. ;) Time flies.

Maybe it was the experience of shooting a friend's LC9 the other day and experiencing a series of light strikes with 3 types of common 9mm duty ammunition ... and watching the owner experience the same thing all afternoon ... that left me with the "wait & see" feeling about the Ruger.

Maybe it's the LC9 that needs another couple of years ... :rofl:

To be fair, I've heard the Bodyguard has had its share of minor teething pains since introduction.

Gregg702
10-29-2011, 16:55
I see less and less reason to own a .380 pocket pistol with all the new 9mm pocket pistols on the market. 9mm is cheaper, and it is a service caliber. They cost a little more, but you will quickly make that up in cheaper and more available ammo. My CM9 disappears in my pocket.

purrrfect 10
10-29-2011, 17:03
Looking for somethings small too but 380 vs 9 mm I thing i will choose the 9 thank you...come on am I wrong here

fastbolt
10-29-2011, 17:12
I didn't get sidetracked by the .380 v. 9 subject earlier (or .32 v. 380, for that matter, since you can get .32's even smaller) because I presumed the OP had a specific reason for narrowing his choice to those 2 pistols chambered in .380 ACP.

purrrfect 10
10-29-2011, 17:15
Your Point? Why would I buy a 380 when i can get a 9mm for the same $$$

drew4691
10-29-2011, 17:15
I don't like the laser button on the bodyguard. I went with the LCP with CT laser... About $50 more, but i've had no problems with my LCP and its what i take with me the most

Ebb27
10-29-2011, 17:16
Okay, you'd think that after 3 years they'd have the bugs worked out. ;) Time flies.

Maybe it was the experience of shooting a friend's LC9 the other day and experiencing a series of light strikes with 3 types of common 9mm duty ammunition ... and watching the owner experience the same thing all afternoon ... that left me with the "wait & see" feeling about the Ruger.

Maybe it's the LC9 that needs another couple of years ... :rofl:

To be fair, I've heard the Bodyguard has had its share of minor teething pains since introduction.

Yeah getting the first edition of any brand new model from any gun maker usually isn't a great idea, look at the Gen4's.

Waitting a couple of years for them to get the bugs out is good advice on any new pistol.

Ebb27
10-29-2011, 17:20

The .380 has less recoil and is easier to shoot out of a micro pistol.

The usual control vs power arguement that goes with all caliber debates.

NeverMore1701
10-29-2011, 17:22
For me, the 9mms are still just hair big for pocket carry.

Dexters
10-29-2011, 17:24
I see less and less reason to own a .380 pocket pistol with all the new 9mm pocket pistols on the market. 9mm is cheaper, and it is a service caliber. They cost a little more, but you will quickly make that up in cheaper and more available ammo. My CM9 disappears in my pocket.

What about recoil, size, second shot follow up speed and weight differences.

LawScholar
10-29-2011, 17:28

Agreed.

I'm not willing to spend the money for a Rohrbaugh, and the LC9, PM9, etc. are still significantly bigger than the LCP.

I like my LCP a lot. close to 600 rounds with one failure (after 3-4 range trips without cleaning using filthy ammo - I meant to push it to failure).

roguedaddy
10-29-2011, 17:32
I bought a LCP a little over two years ago and love it. Makes a great deep cover gun. Have put just over a 1000 rounds through it with no problems after the first 100. Eats all kinds of ammo. I currently use the Winchester PDX for carry ammo. Yes the trigger is long but if you practice it shouldn't be a problem. Feels like a revolver trigger to me. Mine has no laser. Sights are not great but a touch of bright green nail polish helps. Plus you are not going to be shooting this gun at a great distance anyway.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Gregg702
10-29-2011, 17:33
What about recoil, size, second shot follow up speed and weight differences.

My CM9 has negligable recoil, similar to my old P238. It also weighs about the same.

KK40384
10-29-2011, 17:37
When I was in the market for a 380acp I rented both of these and shot them. I now own a BG380

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

No Quarter
10-29-2011, 17:37
I just got back from a 100 round range session with my new S&W Bodyguard.

Here is how it went:

No problems.

Gun is accurate. I ran it out to 15 yards and was able to easily keep them in a fist sized group with deliberate fire.

At 7 yards, I could rapid fire and get the same results. I will say, the gun does have a long trigger pull but it seems to lighten up after use. After 50 rounds, I used the laser to see if it was zeroed to where the round hit. It is. As a matter of fact, it was nice as I got even better groups with it on.

I had lubed the rails with good 'ol white lithium grease, as I do with all my guns, and maybe that kept it running well.

Really can't say enough good about it. Broke her down for a cleaning and she was very easy to get cleaned and ready for the next range session.

I shot some regular ball ammo, but I also put a box of Hornady Critical Defense through her. Gun ran GREAT on the Hornady stuff. Felt recoil was negligable.

My serial # preix is "EAT" so, maybe my model has most of the earlier reported kinks wored out of it.

I say "BUY"!

NOW - another note, I also shot my Colt Mustang .380. It is hands down, the nicest shooting pocket gun I have ever owned. The single action trigger and the sights (though many people complain about them on the Mustang, for me they just seem to work), made the gun the fastest shooting little .380 I have owned.

You can double tap hot ammo all day long with the Mustang and hit what you aim at without issue. It point shoots well also.

I shot 100 rounds through it. Also shot a box of Critical Defense. What a gun. Compared to the Mustang, the S&W is a far distant second, BUT the S&W is easy to tuck away, and is lighter. Dimensionally, they are really not much different at all with the Mustang being fractionally thicker and just a tad longer. Both carry quite well in a pocket.

Good luck on your choice. I vote for the S&W. Shoots great. But for me, the Mustang gets the nod for carry unless I need the lighter weight and extra corrosion resistance of the S&W.

fastbolt
10-29-2011, 17:46

My point was the OP seemingly had already gone through some decision-making process to arrive at choosing a .380 pistol. My impression of what he's posted over the time I can remember is that he's probably not unfamiliar with the differences of the 9mm and .380 ACP cartridges. I'm just extending him the courtesy of dealing with his stated question.

Now, what you feel is an appropriate choice - for whatever reasons are important to you - when selecting between the 2 calibers and available pistols for your needs, is something to which I'm also prepared to lend an ear and grant you the same courtesy that you are reasonably familiar with what you best suits your needs. ;)

I've already posted my thoughts about using a .380 for my anticipated needs and preferences in other threads, so the OP probably doesn't need to be bothered by them in this one ...

... unless he asks, of course. :)

Bottom line, the OP didn't ask us what other guns/calibers we'd choose, but what we knew about the specific guns he listed. I'm guessing he has his reasons for narrowing it down to a diminutive .380 of each design/brand.

If it matters, I adopted practice long ago of not denigrating the choice of other folks when it comes to defensive handguns, cartridges, calibers and specific ammunition. I may answer them if they ask what I prefer to use for my purposes, and my reasons for same, if they really want to know ... but I don't shill guns or ammo, and I'm much more interested in someone's knowledge, skillet & mindset than the specific choice they may have made in their equipment.

I've known a fair number of folks who I would not necessarily consider ill-equipped or ill-prepared just because they're carrying a quality .380 ACP pistol. Nor would I expect them to pass judgment on me for choosing to carry a 5-shot snub .38 revolver under similar circumstances.

phil evans
10-29-2011, 18:22
i've had p3at, kahr380, diamondback380, lcp, bodyguard.
still have lcp, p3at, bodyguard.
bodyguard laser makes groups one half size, lcp >600 down range is most reliable of the .380's.
now carry diamondback 9mm(thinnest in existance, .80").
all mouse guns i've used have had some problems, all sent back and then most problems resolved, my early diamondback 380 was always seeking a problem to be repaired, kahr similar experience(has best trigger of the 5).

as far a mouse guns go lcp is the choice of one who does not want to tinker, and fluff and buff, and send back to factory for repair.

G26S239
10-29-2011, 18:45
Agreed.

I'm not willing to spend the money for a Rohrbaugh, and the LC9, PM9, etc. are still significantly bigger than the LCP.

I like my LCP a lot. close to 600 rounds with one failure (after 3-4 range trips without cleaning using filthy ammo - I meant to push it to failure).
I agree that all are noticeably larger than the LCP. My MK9 is dimensionally the same as a PM9 and similar to the Beretta Nano and ~ 6 ounces more than either with its steel frame. As the pictures show it is taller, longer and thicker than the little 380.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2mw6nn9.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/9fmtcj.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/dptn5g.jpg

sfguard
10-29-2011, 19:42
Thanks guys!

Based on my research, the LCP is probably the better pocket pistol due to size and sights, while the BG is more refined for shooting with better sights, ect.

_

I have both and your on the right track with your thinking here.

DonGlock26
10-29-2011, 21:30
I didn't get sidetracked by the .380 v. 9 subject earlier (or .32 v. 380, for that matter, since you can get .32's even smaller) because I presumed the OP had a specific reason for narrowing his choice to those 2 pistols chambered in .380 ACP.

Yes sir, I need a big brand name manufacturer for Dept. reasons.

I have a P-32, but I can't carry it. The LCP seems to be the gun for me, but I wanted more info about the BG.

_

DonGlock26
10-29-2011, 21:35
I have both and your on the right track with your thinking here.

Thanks!! :beer:

Don

_

JaPes
10-29-2011, 21:42
I have limited experience with pocket .380's. I really wanted one, and narrowed it down to the Ruger LCP & S&W Bodyguard .380. I rented both to get a feel for them under live fire. The Ruger & S&W are both great firearms.

I really wanted to like the Bodyguard .380. It had all the specs I wanted:

A true DA trigger for double strike capability.
Decent iron sights
A built in laser
An external safety
Fire the last round, and the slide holds open

When I got them both on the range, I had better results with the LCP because it's trigger agreed with me.

I suggest you try to shoot the .380's that you are looking to buy, and get the one that fits you best.

Feanor
10-29-2011, 21:47

I'm looking for a reliable .380 pocket pistol. Which would be better for pocket carry? Which has been better regarding reliability? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Don

_

Don the little S&W is awfully new so I can't rate it per se, however it is approved by LAPD the last I heard, so somebody out there has taken a shine to it. Of the two companies, I much prefer the technical/customer service of S&W, frankly I wouldn't be very inclined to even consider the Ruger! They just have such spotty QC.

skeeter7
10-30-2011, 07:19
I have had my Bodyguard 380 since September 2010 (EAA serial number) and haven't had one issue with it after about 800 rounds through it. I've shot mostly WWB out of it and it has been 100% reliable. Nice iron sights and the laser buttons seem just fine to me as I don't want the laser on in my pocket without me knowing, so that extra little push is fine with me. The ergos of the BG380 also felt better to me when I was comparing them. I carry mine in an Uncle Mikes Size 1 pocket holster in my right front pocket and most times I forget that it's there. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a pocket pistol. Hope this helps...

Kbbell007
10-30-2011, 08:49
I got my wife a BG .380 but the way she held the weapon, she would always eject the magazine on the second shot. An instructor worked with her and everything, but just couldn't get around it. So I thought, what the heck, I could use a mouse gun, let me take it to the range and give it a whirl. WOW, what a loooonnnggg trigger pull, coupled with how small it was in my hand (i am able to palm a basketball), I had to work really hard to get it to where I could fire it with any accuracy. After jimmying my grip to where it would work, I, too, would occasionally eject the magazine. Needless to say, it is no longer in my inventory. It has been replaced by a S&W 640.

DonGlock26
10-31-2011, 18:59
I have had my Bodyguard 380 since September 2010 (EAA serial number) and haven't had one issue with it after about 800 rounds through it. I've shot mostly WWB out of it and it has been 100% reliable. Nice iron sights and the laser buttons seem just fine to me as I don't want the laser on in my pocket without me knowing, so that extra little push is fine with me. The ergos of the BG380 also felt better to me when I was comparing them. I carry mine in an Uncle Mikes Size 1 pocket holster in my right front pocket and most times I forget that it's there. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a pocket pistol. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the post.

And, thanks to everyone else who responded. :beer:

Don

Sbh87
10-31-2011, 23:39

Same here. In my state deep concealment is the name of the game. That's why the biggest gun I carry is my S&W 640 IWB and thats only when I have a jacket or a sweatshirt (and its cold enough that I will be leaving either on while in a store or restaurant) I would never carry anything in a holster IWB or OWB with just a t-shirt. And once I get the BG in the next few months it will be for pocket carry. The 640 (and a few compact 9mm's I've checked out) is way too big for pocket carry here and even in a desantis nemesis it is still too bulky and will raise too much suspicion with all the sheep around here and the last thing I want is to lose my license to carry. If the smallest amount of suspicion is raised and someone acts on that and contacts LE in this state that means you are ****ed up the ass and can kiss your LTC goodbye. Even if you are cleared in court, MA has a suitability clause meaning a licensing authority (chief of the city/town you live in) can find you not suitable for an LTC for any reason they want. They could deny you based on the fact they don't like you. You could fight in court and maybe win but not likely here. All LTC's in the Commonwealth have a little string attached to them ready to be yanked back by the state at their whim. That's why I save bigger guns for the range and home defense and compact is what I take along with me.

Glock&Schpeel
11-20-2011, 18:42
I don't have any experience with the LCP but I have the Bodyguard and love it. It shoots far better than my old Walther PPK/S and is far smaller too.

The laser failed after about 100 rounds but SW got it replaced quick and free under warranty and it's doing fine.

fxstchewy
11-21-2011, 20:48
Used to have a LCP, magazine would fall out every couple of shots, now have a BG .380 and so far it works fine, no issues.

glock2740
11-21-2011, 21:09
I like my LCP alot. The BG just doesn't do it for me.

tchick
11-21-2011, 23:02
From all the reviews I've read they're both good guns and whichever one you pick should make you happy. The LAPD approved both for their officers to carry as backup weapons. I went to purchase the LCP but after comparing it to the Bodyguard I purchased the S&W. The Bodyguard has better sights, the slide stays back after the last round, it has a safety (if you choose to use it. I don't), and it has a slot to see if there's a round in the chamber. The laser was an added bonus. It didn't sway me one way or the other. I have a couple CT grips on other guns and I like how they turn on by just gripping the gun instead of having to push a button like on the Bodyguard. If you don't like lasers, don't use it. I've put several hundred rounds through my Bodyguard and I haven't had one hiccup. Like others have said, it has a long trigger pull but after a bunch of dry firing practice I got used to it. I've seen some extended, higher capacity magazines for the LCP's and I'm waiting for some to come out for the BG. Whichever one you pick will work fine.

My BG lives in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/tchick_bucket/Firearms/IMG_6947s.jpg

glocktopuss
04-09-2012, 23:34
LCP vs Bodyguard-it comes down to preference. My opinion is I don't want a laser on my pocket gun. I don't want to learn to use a laser and then have it fail when I really need it. I've had lasers before and they all fail. Plus it's not an instinct easily learned so when/if you need your gun you probably won't use it. With that, the bodyguard only comes with a laser and a pretty bad one at that. If your putting a laser in the production line why not use a better laser? So i'm paying for something I don't want and I don't need. Also it's affecting the dim's for concealabilty. That's just my take. Anyone whose looking for the LCP or BG as there first carry firearm, let me say that carrying can be downright uncomfortable and if you never carried then it's a huge learning curve. Every oz. and inch count. The LCP is lighter and smaller and has great lines. I have both the bg and lcp and I still carry the lcp everyday. I bought it first and was looking for a gun with more frills, so I bought the bg and I don't like it. I realized I don't need a laser or want one, I didn't like the way it carried in my pocket. The sights are better but it's a personal protection piece and where are you going to shoot someone at 10 yds and claim self defense. Anyway it all comes down to preference and I've been spoiled by the LCP. No better gun for carry on the market Period

Aahzz
04-10-2012, 07:27
I love my BG .380. It replaced my Kel-Tec P3AT, from which the Ruger was copied. Having fired both the P3AT and the LCP, I'll take the BG hands down. It handles better, I prefer the trigger (very smooth after a couple hundred rounds), the sights are considerably better. I find it more accurate, but that may be due to the usable sights. I don't use the laser on mine - in fact, the battery is dead from it having been on in my pocket - a definite negative to point out if you're looking for the laser. In the meantime, mine has eaten everything it has been fed, and I feel perfectly confident with it in my pocket.

hunter won
04-10-2012, 08:01
The smallest caliber I would use is a 9mm for self defense. The Kahr PM9 is an excellent sub compact pistol that is rated for +P+.

mikegun
04-10-2012, 14:28
I had an LCP for a bu gun, did not like the trigger so traded it for a KEL TEC P3At, it shoots fine...

ithaca_deerslayer
04-10-2012, 14:48

I like my LCP. Just needed a stiffer Wolff recoil spring to rock the slide home with enough force to put the round always into battery. Otherwise, the round might only be half way in waiting for me to smack the slide closed.

Honestly does work fine now. I'm only shooting Hornady critical defense (and FMJ for target). No complaints at all.

As to the bodyguard 380, it has a thumb safety. So you gotta decide if you want that or not :)