Training Ideas? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Training Ideas?

jenrick
10-29-2011, 18:31
So my agency has recently acquired a new driving simulator, and has gotten our old broken simulator working again. I'm currently trying to come up with some training ideas for them. At the moment each simulator is independent, so we can only use one real officer in each scenario, the computer can provide simulated officers however.

At the moment we've got the following training:

intersection clearance when running code to a call or on a pursuit
pursuit driving
basic EVOC skills (ie cone courses)

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them. So far the list of ideas I'm come up with includes:
in-car computer usage (when is an appropriate time, and when to leave it alone)
Traffic stop patrol unit positioning
Felony stop patrol unit positioning
Patrol unit parking when responding to calls of various types
Patrol unit location when responding to major collisions on a highway or other major roadway
Safely re-entering traffic after a traffic stop on a highway

I've been racking my brain about all the stuff as an FTO I'd go over with the rookie involving driving when they'd get to the streets. These are the ones that come to mind.

Any other suggestions or real life experiences that would make a good training scenario would be appreciated. Especially stuff that would be goon for inservice officers. I'd like to make the simulator training something that officers can get usage out of, and not just have them be for cadet training.

-Jenrick

packsaddle
10-29-2011, 18:40
HAZMAT response and positioning

dodging animals in the road (i.e. teach them to brake straight and avoid turning wheels)

drawing (and shooting) from seated position

stopping two vehicles at the same time (like highway patrol often do)

jenrick
10-29-2011, 18:49
HAZMAT, hadn't thought of that one, good idea!

Collision avoidance is in the cone course (evasive lane change anyone), as well as our intersection clearance stuff. Breaking it off into a separate series of scenarios isn't a bad idea though.

Can't do any live fire or even sims in the scenario, but we can have them practice with a red gun. Hadn't thought of that.

How do you stop to vehicles at the same time? I've never done it myself, and it's not something we train at all.

-Jenrick

Patchman
10-29-2011, 18:58
Employing the LE vehicle as a tactical dynamic ram, while the LE driver is firing a long gun through the front windshield. You know, the Arkansas Fish & Game maneuver used in West Memphis.

jenrick
10-30-2011, 00:18
Well we do have the PIT training module, but it's not an authorized technique for us. Still something to think about.

-Jenrick

Hack
10-30-2011, 00:24
Running over the suspect who is firing into the opposite direction, using the vehicle as the weapon.

apphunter
10-30-2011, 07:30
officer down rescue in a unsecured scene with gunfire