Personla Readiness [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Personla Readiness

SCmasterblaster
10-29-2011, 18:42
We can spend lots of money and time preparing our tools for a possible self-defense scenario, but there is one function that we cannot be prepared for for certain. How do we prepare our minds for such a scenario? Must we set up scenarios at ranges and do shooting practices? Should we shoot in IDPA matches? USPSA? Bowling pin? I rank bowing pin shooting very high, for one is using a powerful load against a difficult target. Five in a row, also. I am sure that I am not alone in wondering how I will do with my favorite handgun and cartridge. :upeyes:

Mas Ayoob
10-29-2011, 20:15
All good pieces of a very complicated puzzle.

Ditto force on force and hand to hand.

Critically important: deeply determined personal will to act appropriately when the time comes. Mental crisis rehearsal is not to be underestimated.

And, often neglected: knowing beforehand what aftermath to expect from the legal system, and in terms of dealing with it emotionally and psychologically when it's over...and how to cope with each.

best,
Mas

SCmasterblaster
11-03-2011, 12:03
All good pieces of a very complicated puzzle.

Ditto force on force and hand to hand.

Critically important: deeply determined personal will to act appropriately when the time comes. Mental crisis rehearsal is not to be underestimated.

And, often neglected: knowing beforehand what aftermath to expect from the legal system, and in terms of dealing with it emotionally and psychologically when it's over...and how to cope with each.

best,
Mas

THAT is my most significant concern, the legal aftermath. It seems that the places that one needs PD with handguns are the places that have the most un-gun-friendly prosecutors and juries. Here in semi-rural Hartford, VT, I can rely on the courts and the juries, I think anyway. In any regard, I keep my G17 and 17 rounds of WW +p+ 115gr JHPs with me 24/7.