LPK, does brand matter? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LPK, does brand matter?

txgunguy
10-29-2011, 19:12
Or are they all the same?

IGotIt
10-29-2011, 19:48
In theory they are the same, in reality, they are not.

Anytime parts are machined to the thousandths of an inch there will be problems. even the top notch manufacturers can have a bad day and have a few parts go out that are out of spec.

Google each manufacturer for reviews and see which kits keep getting the best reviews. Every AR owner will say their kit is the best so you are going to get a lot of get this one it's the best or stay away from them cause they are junk. Do some research on your own, it will become apparent which ones to buy.

shooter9696
10-29-2011, 23:04
I would just buy a name brand... but I read a few good comments about Wilson Combat LPK's and they're only $50 on their site.

txgunguy
10-30-2011, 08:12
I have been looking at the PSA kits. Are they any good?

offsidewing
10-30-2011, 09:02

I just built my first AR using a PSA lower parts kit and had zero issue with any of the parts fitting in a DPMS stripped lower. I got the "Premium Lower build Kit" and everything went together well.

GSSF17
10-30-2011, 09:15

I use Spikes and PSA LPKs exclusively. You can't go wrong with either one.

Great quality and good trigger right out of the box on both of them.

faawrenchbndr
10-30-2011, 09:19
May have been a fluke,.....but I had a DPMS lower parts kit's trigger pin
break withing 2K rounds fired!

txgunguy
10-30-2011, 09:38
I use Spikes and PSA LPKs exclusively. You can't go wrong with either one.

Great quality and good trigger right out of the box on both of them.

Awesome, thanks guys. I think I'm going to buy a roll pin punch set just to make it easy on my first build.

IGotIt
10-30-2011, 09:47

I wasn't going to put any brand names in but since you asked, I've done 3 PSA lpk installs and have been extremely pleased with one exception, the MOE lpk's did not include the lock washer for the screw in the grip and I had several lying around so it wasn't enough of a problem to call PSA about it.

If you order a MOE kit, make sure to put in the comment section on the order page, to make sure there is a lock washer included.

Bushflyr
10-30-2011, 10:23
I ordered a 3 pack of DPMS LPK's and two were obviously, hugely defective. The third was OK, but had a terrible trigger. I only use Stag now.

mjkeat
10-30-2011, 10:41
Brand doesn't matter as long as you get a good kit. The thing is some brands are known for putting out better quality kits than others. So I guess brand does matter.

M&P Shooter
10-30-2011, 10:45
I did tons of research on LPK's because I'm am building my first AR right now and I went with Spike's enhanced LPK $149.00 This LPK has received nothing but great reviews and a lot of people have commented that the 1 stage trigger in the enhanced kit feels better then other brand LPK's:wavey:

Cochese
10-30-2011, 10:57
LMT and Daniel Defense LPKs only for me.

humanguerrilla
10-30-2011, 11:00
I like Spikes and Doublestar and they have decent enough triggers. I haven't cared for DPMS and Bushmaster.

txgunguy
10-30-2011, 13:11
Just orderd a PSA lower build kit they had on sale. Will find out how it is.

surf
10-30-2011, 13:17
I won't get into who supplies what, or how each vendor might source complete or machine their own stuff. So, Colt parts top notch, but they are expensive and not really put out as a LPK so to speak. I like LMT parts also. I do like kits branded DD and Armalite. There are also custom LPK put together by some dealers that use top notch parts also.

denn1911
10-30-2011, 15:12
I found Stag Arms LPK's to be very good for me.

jrs93accord
10-30-2011, 15:41
Over the years, I have used DPMS, Del-Ton, SARCO, RRA, DSA, and recently, Spikes. I can honestly sat thay I have had no issues with any of the kits I have used. These results are not always typical. Are all LPKs the same? In theory, yes. In actuality, not really. It is pretty much a trial and error test over time.

rem2429
10-30-2011, 21:25
DD used to make palmetto, and they were great when I bought one a year ago, so I have been using DD lately.
I have used a RRA and it was fine.
I got a DPMS and then decided it was only good for a .22.
The springs are cheap, like they came out of a chinese pen. It seems like the trigger pieces are cheaper as well. I'm leaving them alone.
I'm sure LMT, COLT, KAC etc make good parts, but I've not used them.