Help with a magnifier. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with a magnifier.

Teecher45
10-29-2011, 21:04
Awhile ago I put an Aimpoint H-1 on my AR on a LT751-VFZ mount. I now want a magnifier, something like a 6-7X. I am interested in the Primary Arms 6X and wouldn't even mind the flip to side mount that I can get with it. Mind you this is only for hunting/range. I don't need anything expensive. I want my magnifier to line-up with my red dot. I have seen some that don't line-up right and it seems to blur the red dot. Is this the usual case or is it because the red dot and mag. I saw were el' cheapos? Are their standard heights, or is every manufacture a little different? PA mount says 1.6" (I believe that's about 1 5/8") and my center of my red dot appears to be right at 1 1/2". I would prefer a flip to side mount.
I hope you understand what I am trying to say, if not please feel free to ask any questions. Please feel free to make any suggestions.

cowboy1964
10-29-2011, 23:43
6 or 7x may be a little high for use with a red dot. 3 to 5x is the normal range.

Teecher45
11-04-2011, 19:21
Cowboy, you may be correct, I don't know. I really don't because I know very little about these things. However I can say that I have looked through a 3X and to be honest it doesn't seem to help much.
Why say it may be a little too high? I usually use 3X9's or 4X12's so why say 6X would be too much?
I called the LGS today and spoke to the owner and he told me that he has heard that 6X is too high magnification for a red dot and you can have problems with the (something, didn't get it). He was saying if I adjusted the magnifier to focus on a coyote at 150 yards and something else came out at 200 I would have to re-adjust. Does any one have any idea what he is talking about? Cowboy, is this what you're talking about?
I got in touch with LaRue and found out my mount on my red dot is 1.45" centerline above the rail. The PA mount at 1.6" is probably too high and the other mounts on their website doesn't list their heights.
Marshall, are you there?
If anyone has experience in any of these areas, please help. I am needing to get something together for my 8 year old to deer hunt with, and it is coming soon.

MARSH1
11-04-2011, 20:11
I am here.

All our mounts are taller than your LaRue mount. You do have internal adjustments in the 6X to center the dot if the mounts are not exactly the same height, but that might be too much.

You won't have to refocus when going from 150 out to 200 yards but at that range 3X should be sufficient. With the 3X Deluxe you have the option of the low ADM or LaRue mounts that will line up.

Marshall

Teecher45
11-04-2011, 22:28
Thanks Marshall. I am looking for an inexpensive magnifier for my red dot. I wouldn't mind at all to order the "proper" mount from LaRue,but not right now. Maybe never, just want something for the deer and coyotes. I would like to experiment with something inexpensive, not cheap. I have heard great things about your products and was wanting to give them a try.
A friend has a no name magnifier he bought at a gun show and it is about a half of an inch taller than his red dot and it seems to turn his dot into an oval. I don't want that. If I want to shoot coyotes/deer at/up to 400 yards, is the 6X too much really? We have a range and I have a 400 yard shot and shoot it a couple of times a year with my 30/06 with a 4x12 and would like to have more magnification.
Any suggestions?

Suburban
11-12-2011, 18:14
I have a PA Micro, with their QD mount that gives lower-1/3 co-witness on an AR. Behind it, I put a Vortex 3x magnifier in a Larue flip mount. If you look through the center of the magnifier, the dot is blurred, but it's better if you look through the bottom of the magnifier.

The Larue flip mount works great behind a 30mm red dot in a Larue mount, but just doesn't work as well behind a micro because the height is wrong.

The PA Micros are holding up really well, by the way.