Gun Belt questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Belt questions

awdxtc
10-29-2011, 21:47
I was wonder what a gun belt has to offer over a regular dress belt. I know they are stiffer etc, but what do all the things that make a gun belt different translate to in the real world?

em2b96p
10-29-2011, 22:08
not quite sure what the question is but....

I suppose a stiffer belt would last longer, work as a back support, and can be use in emergency zip line situations??

I cant justify buying an expensive leather gun belt. I prefer one of thoes nylon riggers belt due to cheaper price, but I havent found one I liked yet.

TopsBlades
10-29-2011, 22:21
Check out The Wilderness.com. It makes a difference.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

smokin762
10-29-2011, 22:33
A gun belt will help keep the firearm closer to your body because of it's stiffness, instead of the gun flapping in the wind. When I first started carrying after I got my CCW, I didnít think I needed a gun belt either. Then, I got uncomfortable with how far the gun was from my body. I was also tired of having to pull up my pants because the gun weighted them down.

My Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt solved those issues for me.

awdxtc
10-29-2011, 23:02
Thank you, thats what I was looking for. I guess I did phrase the question awkwardly.

A gun belt will help keep the firearm closer to your body because of it's stiffness, instead of the gun flapping in the wind. When I first started carrying after I got my CCW, I didnít think I needed a gun belt either. Then, I got uncomfortable with how far the gun was from my body. I was also tired of having to pull up my pants because the gun weighted them down.

My Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt solved those issues for me.

vafish
10-30-2011, 03:56
A proper gun belt is just as important to concealment as a good holster is, maybe even more so.

I can't understand why people will pay $500-$1,000 for a carry gun, $150 for a ccw class, $100 for a permit, $50-$100 for a holster and then insist on useing a $10 belt.

Funny how those.same people complain they have problems concealing a decent sized handgun.

swinokur
10-30-2011, 04:53
A gun belt will allow support for the pistol without having to be cinched down tight. Important fpr any type of carry

www.thebeltman.net.

Wilderness belts really can't be used for anything besides jeans or casual slacks. The Beltman belts works for all modes of dress.

My .02

Boot Stomper
10-30-2011, 05:00
I noticed Wal-Mart has recently been selling some thicker, stronger belt. The manufacturer (do not remember who makes them) call them work belts. They are a stiff nylon and leather. I do not need a new carry belt, but these belts feel and look good.

IndyGunFreak
10-30-2011, 05:06
I noticed Wal-Mart has recently been selling some thicker, stronger belt. The manufacturer (do not remember who makes them) call them work belts. They are a stiff nylon and leather. I do not need a new carry belt, but these belts feel and look good.

:shakehead:

Some folks never learn.

I don't care how the belt looks hanging on the rack, you will not get a "gun belt" at Wal Mart, Dillards, etc. These "work belts" are fine.. for work. Carhart, Dickies, and several others all make a nice work belt. They are not a gun belt, and will not perform like one. A belt designed to carry a firearm, are to expensive to make to sell "off the shelf" in a dept. store.

There's a lot that goes into making a gun belt, and the amount of work required, is more than most makers would undertake to supply a big chain like Wal Mart.

IGF

pipedreams
10-30-2011, 05:20

I purchased a nice Carhartt work belt a couple years ago and while a good belt it is soft a flexible after about a years use. Still a good work belt but not a good gun belt. A good thick bullhide gunbelt will not turn soft and flexible after a few months.

BSteadman
10-30-2011, 05:30
Here you go...read this thread.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377477

firefighter4215
10-30-2011, 05:32
My best fitting belt is that 1.5" nylon belt from 5.11. In a Supertuck type holster the G27 is extremely comfortable with that belt. Next on the list is my 1.5" horsehide with the stiffener from The Beltman. Very high quality piece of work.

XDfense
10-30-2011, 08:09
I bought a Wilderness Instructors belt (1.5", 5-stitch, no reinforcement) thinking it would be a great gunbelt. It is stiff but it has it's weaknesses too. There is still a weak point in this design - the material in front that goes through the buckle. It's flexible, which it has to be for it to be able to fasten. When I holster a loaded full size pistol, I still get some sagging and it's because of the thinner material in front.

A leather gunbelt is stiff all the way around and provided even more support than the Wilderness. Don't get me wrong, I like the Wilderness a lot, but I think leather does a better job.

imjustron
10-30-2011, 08:12
Just listen to all the wisdom here and spend the money on a real gun belt. the very first time you use it you'll come back to this thread and declare "OHHHHHHH...NOW I GET IT!!!".

BailRecoveryAgent
10-30-2011, 08:12

Wal-Mart is where you buy your range ammo, not gunbelts.

cloudbuster
10-30-2011, 08:22
I bought a Wilderness Instructors belt (1.5", 5-stitch, no reinforcement) thinking it would be a great gunbelt. It is stiff but it has it's weaknesses too. There is still a weak point in this design - the material in front that goes through the buckle. It's flexible, which it has to be for it to be able to fasten. When I holster a loaded full size pistol, I still get some sagging and it's because of the thinner material in front.

A leather gunbelt is stiff all the way around and provided even more support than the Wilderness. Don't get me wrong, I like the Wilderness a lot, but I think leather does a better job.

I wear a Wilderness Traveler, and yes, I suppose that's a weakness, but on the other hand, a strength of the Wilderness belts is that you can micro-adjust them. It's easy to pull them just a 1/4-inch tighter, say, so that it gives a perfect fit. If perfect for you happens to be right between the holes on a leather belt, you have to punch a hole in it or you're SoL. And "perfect" for me can change over the course of a month or even a day, really.

It's like a horse girth (for you riders out there). It needs a little adjustment after it's been on for a while, and your horse's girth circumference isn't always exactly the same size depending on diet, amount of exercise, etc.

ARCman47
10-30-2011, 08:25
Here ya go http://www.jonestactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=9

smokin762
10-30-2011, 10:15
About five years ago, I started having allergic reactions to having any kind of steel touching my body for any extended amounts of time. My belt was eating me up. Btw, I work in manufacturing in the Fastener Business.:faint:

I started searching for belts that had a plastic type of buckle to help with this but I was also looking for a belt that would support the weight of my gun. I went everywhere I could and couldnít find anything that I could use. While searching though, I was also keeping an idea of what a decent belt would cost.

A friend of mine referred me to go online and check out Wilderness. I did and that is where I came across the model of belt that I wear. I also noticed that some of those belts are not any more expensive than decent quality Department Store belts plus it is made to be a gun belt. That is a twofer for me.
http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2503&parent=142

jb1911
10-30-2011, 17:17
I went to Cabela's last night wanting to check out their Double Duty belt. I went upstairs to the gun department, found a salesman and asked him where the gun belts were. He looked confused at first, then led me over to a cowboy-type cartridge belt. He said that's about it for gun belts. I asked him about the Double Duty gun belt and he never heard of it. On the way out I thought, why not check the men's wear department and there they were. They even said Double Duty on the tag. They had a price tag of $39.99, but online they were $29.99. I said to myself the hell with it and bought one anyway. The clerk asked me if I wanted to get a Cabela's Visa and $25 off my purchase. I signed up for one and also got a Cabela's travel coffee mug in the bargain. The belt was actually on sale (not marked) for $23 and change. I ended up getting my belt for .67 cents. Glad I stopped by.

dosei
10-30-2011, 18:50
Advantages of a good gun belt:
1. Concealment
Holds the gun closer to the body due to the fact that they do not "roll".
Does not sag. Prevent flopping.

2. Comfort
Spreads the weight of the gun over a larger area, making carry much more comfortable.
Since the belt carries the weight so well, tension is not so critical. So the belt does not need to be so tight, thus it is more comfortable.

3. Durability/Inexpensive
Outlasts other belts by a huge margin, making them very inexpensive in the long run.

X-Concealment
10-30-2011, 19:01
I wear a Wilderness Traveler, and yes, I suppose that's a weakness, but on the other hand, a strength of the Wilderness belts is that you can micro-adjust them. It's easy to pull them just a 1/4-inch tighter, say, so that it gives a perfect fit. If perfect for you happens to be right between the holes on a leather belt, you have to punch a hole in it or you're SoL. And "perfect" for me can change over the course of a month or even a day, really.

+1 on this. The finer adjustability was the top reason I started to use Nylon gunbelts.

Talking about sagging, pants size also plays a factor. I wear 32" waist pants regularly, but wear 34 when I do IWB. However if I use the 34 size pants to carry OWB, with the same belt and holster, it just feels sagging no matter how tighter I pull the belt in. That also effects my draw stroke a little bit.

BailRecoveryAgent
10-31-2011, 06:32
Talking about sagging, pants size also plays a factor. I wear 32" waist pants regularly, but wear 34 when I do IWB. However if I use the 34 size pants to carry OWB, with the same belt and holster, it just feels sagging no matter how tighter I pull the belt in. That also effects my draw stroke a little bit.

I had the same problem. I found some cargo shorts that have elastic at the 3 and 9 oclock positions that allow you to buy your normal size and work for both IWB and OWB carry without the extra width bunching up when you carry OWB.

1041TX
11-01-2011, 19:01
+1 on the Wilderness belt in any flavor. I have the 5 stitch instructor belt and wear it almost every day. No problem holding a full size service pistol with spare mag etc.

+1 million on the infinite range of adjustment to boot.

glocker73
11-01-2011, 19:38
As mentioned several times. Check out a Wilderness belt.

up1911fan
11-01-2011, 19:50
Love my Wilderness belt's. In leather i'm really impressed with my new Occidental Gunleather belt ( by Tim Thurner). I've used Rosen, Comp Tac and The Beltman as well and like the belt from Tim the best.

vafish
11-02-2011, 04:51
Think of a gun belt as the foundation of your concealed carry.

You don't build your home on soft flimsy ground and you don't base your carry on a soft flimsy belt.

MIKES LAW
11-04-2011, 21:37
Just listen to all the wisdom here and spend the money on a real gun belt. the very first time you use it you'll come back to this thread and declare "OHHHHHHH...NOW I GET IT!!!".

^^^This

...and here is a link to the belt I use and highly recommend. The 1-1/2 is good for most types of clothing; pushing the limit for a suit or dress slacks but I use it anyway; in Glock black!

http://wildbillsconcealment.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=3

bchand01
11-04-2011, 21:41
I agree with the wilderness belts. 1.5 5 stitch reinforced is the best belt I have owned.

bruzer
11-04-2011, 22:47
Galco Re-enforced Instructors belt for me. Like the wilderness nylon belt but with a Kydex strip inside the two layers. Tried a regular belt with horrible sagging results. Carry with a real gun belt and you will have much better results. I can carry while jogging with the Galco belt and holstered gun cinched around me. No rubbing or sagging.
Mike

Ticman
11-05-2011, 14:59
Carry with a real gun belt one day and you'll understand. If you don't try one you'll never know.

ChadN.
11-05-2011, 19:28
Invest in a good belt. That 100 bucks you pay for a damn good belt is worth more over the years than that overpriced 30 dollar belt you bought at a some clothing store.

VN350X10
11-05-2011, 19:43
I have used a belt from Aker out of 'Diego CA. for several years. It's a 3 layer belt, a nylon strip sandwiched between 2 layers of high quality leather.
It gets used as a work belt for back support & a gunbelt when I'm carrying (2nd job, gunshop) also used for Single Stack & Production shoots.
At 5 years old, it's still stiff enough to give excellent holster support.
Aker makes gun leather for plain clothes cops & have an excellent line of holsters also.
This belt wasn't cheap, as I recall it was about 50 bucks, but from a servicabillity standpoint, a purchase well made !
When we finally do get CCW here in IL, I'm going to get 2 more, different colors for dress wear.

uncle albert

XDfense
11-06-2011, 08:25

This is a very good reply to my post. It is micro adjustable and that is a big perk. I had to adjust mine throughout the day yesterday. I guess there's no such thing as a perfect belt.

IndyGunFreak
11-06-2011, 09:24
This is a very good reply to my post. It is micro adjustable and that is a big perk. I had to adjust mine throughout the day yesterday. I guess there's no such thing as a perfect belt.

I've never had to "readjust" my Wilderness Instructor after putting it on in the morning. If you're looking for a non-leather belt, the Wilderness is absolutely perfect. I'm not sure what your issue is.

For leather, I like the Aker B21, and Beltman. I've not used one, but Comp-Tac's leather belts look phenomenal.

IGF

jack the toad.
11-06-2011, 09:37
if you're going to carry a gun, buy a gun belt. For leather, I've had good luck with Looper but there are other good holster belts out there too. For nylon web, Wilderness is hard to beat.
http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/looper-reinforced-holster-belt.html

argy1182
11-06-2011, 09:42
Check out beltman as others have recommended. Their belts go great with anything, to include dress pants.

XDfense
11-07-2011, 10:30
I've never had to "readjust" my Wilderness Instructor after putting it on in the morning. If you're looking for a non-leather belt, the Wilderness is absolutely perfect. I'm not sure what your issue is.

My belly must change sizes during the day?

WWJBD
11-07-2011, 12:35
My best fitting belt is that 1.5" nylon belt from 5.11. In a Supertuck type holster the G27 is extremely comfortable with that belt. Next on the list is my 1.5" horsehide with the stiffener from The Beltman. Very high quality piece of work.

Make sure you really check out that stiffener first.

I also have a horsehide gun belt from The Beltman, and I ordered one with and one without the stiffener. I CAN NOT wear the one with the stiffener (34" Waist) It is so stiff, it wont even go around me without pooching out.

Its like a frozen piece of leather.

Just a fair warning.

IndyGunFreak
11-07-2011, 13:31
My belly must change sizes during the day?

I dunno, maybe. All I'm saying, there's no reason you should have to readjust your belt multiple times a day, unless you're dropping your pants.

I've put a Wilderness on, and not adjusted it an entire day, and the buckle holds the belt all day long.

coachg
11-07-2011, 14:14
A gun belt will allow support for the pistol without having to be cinched down tight. Important fpr any type of carry

www.thebeltman.net.

Wilderness belts really can't be used for anything besides jeans or casual slacks. The Beltman belts works for all modes of dress.

My .02

I agree 100%. Excellent, good looking belts. Consider getting one velcro lined. You can use a J-hook with full size guns that keep the gun perfectly secure and angled however you like them.

beforeobamabans
11-07-2011, 15:30
After I bought my first Beltman, I knew I never wanted to wear another belt. I now have six of them in a mix of colors in both 1.5" and 1.25", horse, bull, reinforced, non-reinforced. I just love good leather products. BTW, Jim is not all that far from retirement so you might want to get while the gettin's good.

Bren
11-07-2011, 15:36
I don't care how the belt looks hanging on the rack, you will not get a "gun belt" at Wal Mart, Dillards, etc. These "work belts" are fine.. for work. Carhart, Dickies, and several others all make a nice work belt. They are not a gun belt, and will not perform like one. A belt designed to carry a firearm, are to expensive to make to sell "off the shelf" in a dept. store.

I've spent many years carrying guns for a living, teaching people to shoot, competing, etc. - I find the best gun belts at Tractor supply and most of the high dollar ones are crap. I'll call BS on your post.

Go to a good farm store, tandy leather, etc. and get a good wide (to fit you belt loops and holster slots), thick belt that is a single layer of leather (no stitching) and you'll have a good gunbelt. If it's stitched layers, even if it says Galco, avoid it.

dosei
11-07-2011, 16:09
I've spent many years carrying guns for a living, teaching people to shoot, competing, etc. - I find the best gun belts at Tractor supply and most of the high dollar ones are crap. I'll call BS on your post.

Go to a good farm store, tandy leather, etc. and get a good wide (to fit you belt loops and holster slots), thick belt that is a single layer of leather (no stitching) and you'll have a good gunbelt. If it's stitched layers, even if it says Galco, avoid it.

Well Bren, I've tried those belts...and real "heavy duty" belts from western stores (like Sheplers)...and none have held up or worked nearly as good as an Aker B21. The worst of them being the thick, heavy duty, single layer (ply) belts.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dosei/Single-plybelt.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dosei/Double-plybelt-rolled.jpg

Question Bren...
Do you wear blue jeans a lot? Or any pants/jeans that have a belt loop at the center/back of the pants/jeans? (Not a long, tunnel style loop, just the normal belt loop right at the center/back of the pants/jeans.) If so, do any of your "good" belts have a deformed section from that belt loop after a couple years (or less)?

caviteno_loco
11-08-2011, 07:35
This is a belt I bought at Walmart.

After carrying a G27 (without spare mags) for a few months... :crying:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x87/bluetb06/Fireworks/SAM_0071.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x87/bluetb06/Fireworks/SAM_0070.jpg

So now, I'm in the market for a Real gun belt.

I'm planning to get this one..

http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm

cloudbuster
11-08-2011, 09:23
Ouch, that poor belt is torn up.

I've had a Wilderness Traveler for more than 7 years and it's still in great condition with no deformities at all.

Citroen
11-08-2011, 11:50
After buying a "good leather belt" at Lebo's - and spending $40 for it only to find it sagged too much for the weight of a gun. I finally spent the money for a good gun belt. Now I have several from different makers - all are good and accomplish their task well.

I have just received a belt from a leather crafter that was new to me - Jerry Bissell in Mt. Airy, NC. I think his website is "gunbelts-holsters" but the info is actually at home. The belt is right up there with those from Jim (Beltman) and Kevin (K & D) but is priced somewhat lower. Haven't put it to a lot of use yet, but it appears to be an excellent value.

When I received my belt, Jerry had a note with it telling me he was having surgery today and would be out of contact for a few days. Not sure if he will get e-mail, etc. but check out his website. His work is very good and his prices are extremely reasonable. My belt shipped in one week so his lead time is good.

By the way, I have never met Jerry and have no ax to grind here. Just passing along information on a satisfactory business experience.
John
Charlotte, NC

BailRecoveryAgent
11-08-2011, 12:09

And I shall call bs on yours. I have no doubt you've carried longer than I have and are 10 times the shooter I am, but I've carried with the amish belts and tractor supply thick single ply belts for 10 years before buying a real gun belt, and there is absolutely no comparison. I never found a single ply belt that held the same rigidity when it was new for more than 6 months or a year without doing the old flop and sag routine.

But if the single ply belts work for you, more power to ya.

IndyGunFreak
11-08-2011, 12:12

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I'm not afraid to admit the mistakes I've made, and I've made the Tractor Supply mistake, the Western Store mistake, etc.

You can call BS if you want, I don't care. I've been on both sides of this argument, I know better.

IGF

Xtra-Cheeze
11-08-2011, 19:57
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT WIDTH TO GET ? i WANT TO BUY A WILDERNESS BELT TO GO WITH A CROSSBREED . I DON'T SEE ANY WIDTH OPTIONS ON THE CROSSBREED WEBSITE .

BailRecoveryAgent
11-09-2011, 08:58
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT WIDTH TO GET ? i WANT TO BUY A WILDERNESS BELT TO GO WITH A CROSSBREED . I DON'T SEE ANY WIDTH OPTIONS ON THE CROSSBREED WEBSITE .
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SBR2340/caps-lock.jpg

I would order the 1.5" 5 stitch. Not all holsters will accomodate 1.75" belts, neither will all belt loops on some pants/shorts.

IndyGunFreak
11-09-2011, 09:07
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SBR2340/caps-lock.jpg

I would order the 1.5" 5 stitch. Not all holsters will accomodate 1.75" belts, neither will all belt loops on some pants/shorts.

:rofl:

but yeah, 1.5in should do fine. I'm pretty sure the crossbreed loops, are 1.5in by default(as this is a standard loop/slot/clip size for almost every holster manufacturer). There's enough Crossbreed users here, I'm sure somebody will chime in.

dosei
11-09-2011, 09:37

:faint:
Here is a really crazy idea, but it just might work...

Ask Supertuck what size the clips are.

BailRecoveryAgent
11-09-2011, 12:01
:faint:
Here is a really crazy idea, but it just might work...

Ask Supertuck what size the clips are.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/The_Weakness_In_Me/Harry%20Potter%20Icons%20By%20laurel_tx/Why-Didnt-I-Think-Of-It-BeforeLook.png

mtnglide
11-09-2011, 12:24
Beltman. You get what you pay for.