I may have saved a womans life today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I may have saved a womans life today

nitesite10mm
10-29-2011, 21:51
:supergrin:

Keed. I keed.

But seriously...

Had a woman want to see an officer because she thought someone had tried to break into her home. I arrived to see what she thought were prybar marks on her back door. She said that she lived alone, and was often scared because she is disabled and can't fight back. So she had bought a gun. From her brother. And he had thrown into the deal all the ammo he had for it.

Problem was, she thought the pistol was broken because she had tried to fire it and it just went click.

So I asked if I could check it out. She brings out a Raven .25ACP pistol, one of the very early ones that were actually fairly good (if inexpensive) guns. Real blued steel, and IIRC the .25Auto Ravens are fairly reliable. It was clean and the slide felt oiled and everything felt right. So I ask to see the ammunition. She goes back inside and brings out the box of ammo her brother had sold her.

Here's a frame grab from my Scorpion cam.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/25ACPRaven.jpg

Yeppers, that's a box of bulk .22LR ammo he had supplied his sister. The rimfire rounds fit the magazine and easily chambered so she didn't know there was anything wrong with her ammo.

dustbusterplus
10-29-2011, 23:26
I had a friend that had something similar happen to him. He had gone to the LGS and bought himself what he thought was a Walther in 9mm, although hoping for a .40 s&w, when he got it home he chambered a round and the round slid right out the barrel. Lucky for him nothing catastrophic happened and he got his .40.

collim1
10-30-2011, 00:27
Cant tell you how many Makarovs I have seen on a thug loaded with 9x19mm. The rounds obviously wouldn't chamber but they were so stupid they had a full mag and no round in the chamber.

Hack
10-30-2011, 00:47
Cant tell you how many Makarovs I have seen on a thug loaded with 9x19mm. The rounds obviously wouldn't chamber but they were so stupid they had a full mag and no round in the chamber.

Well thugs. Go figure.

4949shooter
10-30-2011, 02:34
:supergrin:

Keed. I keed.

But seriously...

Had a woman want to see an officer because she thought someone had tried to break into her home. I arrived to see what she thought were prybar marks on her back door. She said that she lived alone, and was often scared because she is disabled and can't fight back. So she had bought a gun. From her brother. And he had thrown into the deal all the ammo he had for it.

Problem was, she thought the pistol was broken because she had tried to fire it and it just went click.

So I asked if I could check it out. She brings out a Raven .25ACP pistol, one of the very early ones that were actually fairly good (if inexpensive) guns. Real blued steel, and IIRC the .25Auto Ravens are fairly reliable. It was clean and the slide felt oiled and everything felt right. So I ask to see the ammunition. She goes back inside and brings out the box of ammo her brother had sold her.

Here's a frame grab from my Scorpion cam.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/25ACPRaven.jpg

Yeppers, that's a box of bulk .22LR ammo he had supplied his sister. The rimfire rounds fit the magazine and easily chambered so she didn't know there was anything wrong with her ammo.

Wow great brother. I wonder what he charged her for the gun and "ammo."

I had a friend that had something similar happen to him. He had gone to the LGS and bought himself what he thought was a Walther in 9mm, although hoping for a .40 s&w, when he got it home he chambered a round and the round slid right out the barrel. Lucky for him nothing catastrophic happened and he got his .40.

One of the guys at work bought a Taurus .45. He went down to his LGS and bought some ammo for it. In NJ, all ammo is sold over the counter, so he asked the clerk for .45 ammo. He goes to shoot the ammo and something doesn't seem right, although it feeds okay. He stops shooting and calls me up. It turns out the idiot behind the counter gave him .45 GAP ammo. Now my friend likes guns but isn't into them that much, and he had never heard of the .45 GAP before. I'm glad the Taurus held up.

That's pretty comical. I hear the Maks will chamber and fire .380 safely (though I wouldn't try it) but definately not 9mm.

wprebeck
10-30-2011, 06:32
A couple of our guys that work in the home incarceration unit were doing a home check, and found an SKS......loaded with .223. Oops.

RussP
10-30-2011, 06:40
This thread could become a classic :thumbsup:

A6Gator
10-30-2011, 10:52
What she failed to mention is that it was the brother who never liked her...:rofl:

indigent
10-30-2011, 13:14
What she failed to mention is that it was the brother who never liked her...:rofl:

Nothing says sibling love like the "right" box of ammo. :supergrin:

OfficerChris
10-31-2011, 04:11
I had a guy in the army who thought if he would pull the trigger with a chambered DUMMYROUND - one of these black plastic ones - the projectile would still kind of slowly fall out of the rifle...

Things like these show if persons should own guns or not.

Mrs.Cicero
10-31-2011, 06:38
Then there's the guy who showed up at a course I was teaching with a brand new unopened box of ammo labeled .22 LR - but everything in the box was shorts. Still haven't figured out how that got out of the factory.

Mrs.Cicero

CitizenOfDreams
10-31-2011, 06:45
Then there's the guy who showed up at a course I was teaching with a brand new unopened box of ammo labeled .22 LR - but everything in the box was shorts.

Weird. How did the shorts fit in such a small box? :dunno:

http://www.nexternal.com/armynavy/images/Navy_Longer_Cargo_Shorts1.gif