How many loads from 30.06 brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many loads from 30.06 brass?

gforester
10-29-2011, 22:59
I know with many pistol loads you can get a lot of reloads before the brass wears out, depending on how hot it is loaded. I'm new to reloading for my rifle and I was wondering if there is some point shere the rifle brass should be discarded and replaced with new or more once-fired brass. This is for 30.06 loads.

freakshow10mm
10-29-2011, 23:54
Garand strength loads I get about 8-10 shots per piece of brass.

sourdough44
10-30-2011, 06:03
There is an article about this in the latest Handloader magazine. It varied with the brass from different companies. He loaded up to 'commercial levels' & got up to 20 loadings from some lots, some started to go at about 10 or so. Depending on what I'm doing I load modest much of the time, it's easier on everything.

gforester
10-30-2011, 12:19
Today I inspected my brass from my range trip last Wednesday and found 5 Winchester cases that looked like this. :wow:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gforester/split3006.jpg

I would imagine this is a typical failure of the 30.06 casing? I had not shot these before, they were some range pickup I had lying around so I don't know how many times they had been reloaded. I have some RP and some HXP and a lot of new unfired Winchester. I think I shall record the number of times I load them.

If this was a dumb question, please forgive my ignorance as I am a newbie to reloading rifle brass.

hogfish
10-30-2011, 14:49
I don't have an answer, but just thought of something. During load development, I will usually load 5-6 sets of 3 different loads from min to max for 2-3 sesseions untill I find the right load. I have never identified the different load brass after it was fired, but only as 1st, 2nd, 3rd use, etc. This is most deffinitely wrong for keeping accurate records. I do check my brass after every single shot, though, plus when I reload.

Just some random thoughts...

:dunno:

gforester
10-30-2011, 15:00
I just sorted my brass by headstamp and will be keeping records on number of loads for each. I only have the HXP (Greek Mil-surp M2), Winchester and R-P right now. I will keep a sharp eye on my Winchester for sure.

fredj338
10-30-2011, 17:10
It just depends. How large the chamber is, how hot a load you use, the quality of the brass & then how you set your sizing dies up. In a bolt gun, neck sizing or partial FL sizing, not max loads, 12x is easily done. A M1, you might get to 10X w/ a match chamber, but 8-10 is more likely as Freak noted.

PCJim
10-30-2011, 21:15
GF, is this in a newly acquired Savage?

gforester
10-30-2011, 21:37
GF, is this in a newly acquired Savage?

Ummm, no, it was in my 03A3. I do have a newly acquired Savage but it hasn't had a chance to get to the range yet. I wil be loading up some more this week and it will get it's inaugural trip with me on Wednesday.

creophus
10-31-2011, 08:16
I'd measure how much life is left in the brass by the number of times you have to trim it. More you have to trim = Less brass in the case= Less life in the case.

30-06 brass is easy to come by, no sense in pushing the limit.

PCJim
10-31-2011, 09:30
Ummm, no, it was in my 03A3. I do have a newly acquired Savage but it hasn't had a chance to get to the range yet. I wil be loading up some more this week and it will get it's inaugural trip with me on Wednesday.

I'm pretty sure I was next in line.... Congrats on the acquisition.

gforester
10-31-2011, 14:16
I'm pretty sure I was next in line.... Congrats on the acquisition.

I was wondering how you would have known about the Savage. It seems to be a nice rifle and the price was good. I will find out on Wednesday what sort of shooter it is.

craig110
10-31-2011, 16:30
30-06 brass is easy to come by, no sense in pushing the limit.

I agree. Running the numbers even with buying brand new brass (which I can't believe I said given it is a common caliber), the per-shot cost difference between pushing the brass or not is very minor.