How are the BAD levers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How are the BAD levers?

M&P Shooter
10-29-2011, 23:59
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2MPIMAG980-1.html

mvician
10-30-2011, 01:32
BAD levers are great but CTD can go pound sand.

shooter9696
10-30-2011, 01:53
I liked mine, but it wasn't perfect, even installed properly it didn't always let me lock my bolt back. I'd prefer a bigger ping pong if you can.

AK_Stick
10-30-2011, 05:38
I don't know how the BAD lever would keep the bolt from locking back, sounds more like you were the issue.

And thats not an insult, its just unless the lever was making contact with your frame somewhere, it just transfers the movement you put on it.

To the OP, I have a bad lever on my SPR, and my clone of my duty rifle. For the most part, I don't use the BAD lever, but there are times that its advantageous to use. The nice thing is, it doesn't mod the gun to the point you have to use it. You can still make it work as normal, and have the BAD functionality if you need it.

faawrenchbndr
10-30-2011, 05:59

Very true,.......

I liked mine, but it wasn't perfect, even installed properly it didn't always let me lock my bolt back. I'd prefer a bigger ping pong if you can.

I have changed backto a large paddle, but the BAD lever was flawless for me

M&P Shooter
10-30-2011, 07:04
I don't know how the BAD lever would keep the bolt from locking back, sounds more like you were the issue.

And thats not an insult, its just unless the lever was making contact with your frame somewhere, it just transfers the movement you put on it.

To the OP, I have a bad lever on my SPR, and my clone of my duty rifle. For the most part, I don't use the BAD lever, but there are times that its advantageous to use. The nice thing is, it doesn't mod the gun to the point you have to use it. You can still make it work as normal, and have the BAD functionality if you need it.I never shot a AR or owned one, this is my first build, lower almost done as soon as ordered parts come in.

Pardoner
10-30-2011, 07:33
To the OP, I have a bad lever on my SPR, and my clone of my duty rifle. For the most part, I don't use the BAD lever, but there are times that its advantageous to use. The nice thing is, it doesn't mod the gun to the point you have to use it. You can still make it work as normal, and have the BAD functionality if you need it.

+1

I have one on my rifle and it works. The lever doesn't force you to use the BAD, but there are times when it makes life easier.

BBJones
10-30-2011, 09:27

There is a rather large thread on m4c about numerous issues that people have with BAD levers. The most common issue is failure to lock back on empty mag. Many of people posting are known and very experienced. As always there are 2sides of the debate and there are experienced shooters who have no issues.

I, like you, have never had any problems and feel BAD levers are great for LH shooters. I prefer the Troy version.

I think it makes sense that they could cause problems. They are a much larger part and weight than a normal paddle. If your spring is undertensioned or weakened might just be enough to cause it to not lock the bolt.

WayaX
10-30-2011, 09:36
I've seen issues with BAD levers, but mine has been wonderful. My only advise is to try one and if it works for you, great. However, the moment you start having malfunctions, it would probably be the first thing to check.

mjkeat
10-30-2011, 10:23
I put BADs on every lower. The only problem I've had is the BAD closing the bolt when I lay the rifle down on it's left side which isn't the levers fault. It strikes the table and simulates the same movement required to activate it.

Cochese
10-30-2011, 11:05
I have it on both my lowers. I use it mostly for clearance drills at work.

smokin762
10-30-2011, 11:57
I like it. I find the BAD lever is very useful when in the prone position. I have one on all of my AR lowers.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

jrs93accord
10-30-2011, 12:22
I mounted one on a lower I just finished up.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011A/001-10.jpg

surf
10-30-2011, 13:29
I have a good bit of input on the thread mentioned at M4C with some pics. I will say that it is no secret that the BAD or similar levers will not be universal in reliable function across the board on all AR/M4/M16 type rifles. Minor differences in machining tolerances, finishes, springs, parts can all affect how the device might function. I was making and using these devices for several years prior to Magpul even coming into existence and toyed with the original device brought to them, so I understand them very well. Weight and geometry of the design was always the key issues and Magpul actually hit it well here. They will never work on all weapons and even one of my original devices that I still run which is even "tunable" cannot possibly cover all combination's of variables that affect the device. So like any piece of gear, equipment, accessory or whatever, you should actually verify that something works for you. If it doesn't, don't use it.

I will refrain from talking about other arguments involving the device. :)

kirgi08
10-30-2011, 13:54
tagged.

WoodenPlank
10-30-2011, 13:59
I personally prefer the BAD lever, but I have heard of issue with guns not locking back, as well. Best thing to do is give it a try on your AR and see if it causes problems. You can also try swapping out the bolt catch spring for a new or heavier spring if you do have issues.

kirgi08
10-30-2011, 14:52
Why volunteer for "maybe".'08. :dunno:

surf
11-19-2011, 01:30
I shot this video awhile back and finally edited it, so I thought I would revive this one.

BAD Lever Part 1 - Pro's or Con's?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aibYvGyufgg

BAD Lever Part 2 - How I use it as a right or left hander.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG2-iNxFqkU

Bad Lever Part 3 - Live fire head to head comparison with the standard bolt release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCP7t3eRROs

JGguns
11-19-2011, 07:41

Adding a bad lever can cause the bolt to not catch on a empty mag. It happened on the first ar I put it on. I wasn't 100% sure what the issue was an didn't have a replacement replacement spring so I took it to my buddy's shop. He put in a new spring an it was good to go.

Randy from Kansas
11-19-2011, 10:13
It works for me

I have the BAD levers installed on a Colt H-bar, Aero with a colt upper and a Palmetto build. All three work just fine and I have not had any problems.

Cole125
11-19-2011, 11:50

Why is that, just wondering? I have always had good service from CTD.

BAD levers are good, if you want to be able to close the bolt from the trigger guard. I personally find no need to have one, and being left handed it might be awkward.

faawrenchbndr
11-19-2011, 11:54
Why is that, just wondering? I have always had good service from CTD......

I've found them to now be cheaper than dirt.
Many parts suppliers with more attractive pricing.

WoodenPlank
11-19-2011, 17:56
Why is that, just wondering? I have always had good service from CTD.

BAD levers are good, if you want to be able to close the bolt from the trigger guard. I personally find no need to have one, and being left handed it might be awkward.

They were one of the first ones to radically hike prices on ammo and accessories after Obama got elected, and did so literally overnight.

humanguerrilla
11-19-2011, 18:51
Skip ctd. Several places that have free shipping on all magpul products.

madecov
11-27-2011, 13:10
I have BAD levers on six rifle's. Four of them have issues locking back on an empty magazine. Two do not.

I like the idea, but if you use one test the install and make sure it works for you.

Cochese
11-27-2011, 13:21
I have BAD levers on six rifle's. Four of them have issues locking back on an empty magazine. Two do not.

I like the idea, but if you use one test the install and make sure it works for you.

1st or 2nd generation? The 1G BAD had issues that the 2G doesn't. Lockback was one of them.

For anything Magpul, go Google Shadez of grey tactical.

He is a local LEO and beats ANY price on Magpul.

madecov
11-29-2011, 08:24
All of mine are under 2 months old. But I'm guessing Gen 1 since the packaging did not say anything about being a Gen 2 product.

I am Both LEO and FFL so getting Magpul at wholesale isn't difficult

Mayhem like Me
11-29-2011, 09:21
I like mine on my personal SBR , have not put one on my work gun yet..