Any reasons not to get a Comp-Tec MTAC? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any reasons not to get a Comp-Tec MTAC?

RevToTheRedline
10-30-2011, 08:14
I'm in dire need to replace my Blackhawk IWB holster that I picked up from your run of the mill sporty/gun store.. The Nylon one with no adjustments what so ever.. I have been on the research train for a good month, narrowing down what I feel would be the best for me, on my experiments with cant angle and based on current preferred placement..

I like a little forward cant that the MTAC seems to offer, and always wear in the 3:30 to 4 O'Clock position (right handed)

Any one have reasons why it wouldn't be a good holster?

I have looked at the Crossbread SuperTuck and some others similar, also the High Noon Down Under with clip has been considered but I prefer the idea of parting from a single clip like I have now with a wider displacement double clip design.

So throw me some opinions it would be much appreciated as someone that wants to conceal my G26 the right way.

Lior
10-30-2011, 08:55
As a heavy user of the MTAC, I can point out the following disadvantages:
1. Easier to reholster by removing the holster from your waistband first due to nonrigid cowhide moiety of scabbard being compressed by humanhide mass while worn.
2. $$$.

Bottom line: get one.

glock75
10-30-2011, 08:58
I love my for IWB concealed carry, particularly when wearing business casual dress (dress shirt and slacks). Go with the standard clips, not the C-clips; they are a pain to use on the belt, particularly if you want an easy on/off holster.

The only issue I have with mine is that the top of the leather on the inside piece that protects the skin will bend over the top of the holster making it difficult at time to reholster.

Cavalry Doc
10-30-2011, 09:53
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/tuckable.jpg

Get one. I liked it so much, bought one for my brother. I haven't met anyone that is not impressed with the comfort and utility.

WayaX
10-30-2011, 09:57
Mine is comfortable and well made. However, Having leather on the back means that you cannot simply load you're gun and leave it loaded in the holster over extended periods of time without risking damage to it. I replaced mine with a regular infidel. This was for my P30.

I use the infidel for a similar sized gun (HK P2000SK), and can say that for something like your GLOCK 26, it will work fine.

RevToTheRedline
10-30-2011, 10:11
Mine is comfortable and well made. However, Having leather on the back means that you cannot simply load you're gun and leave it loaded in the holster over extended periods of time without risking damage to it. I replaced mine with a regular infidel. This was for my P30.

I use the infidel for a similar sized gun (HK P2000SK), and can say that for something like your GLOCK 26, it will work fine.

My G26 is my carry pistol and nightstand so what won't be a problem about long term storage..

I do usually find myself putting a tiny bit of oil on a rag from time to time and rubbing the slide down just to keep it protected, that would probably help it from getting damaged from the leather?

vetmedglock30
10-30-2011, 11:11
I have one. However, i find myself using one of their full kydex models more frequently. The full kydex secures the weapon better. For comfort, there are none better.

adaman04
10-30-2011, 12:02
There is no reason not to buy it.

Do it!

Cavalry Doc
10-30-2011, 12:03

:dunno: Never been a problem with a glock. What kind of damage are you imagining?

Jason12345
10-30-2011, 12:38
I love my mtac. It is extremely comfortable and I wear it all the time. Occasionally I switch between carrying a few different guns and you can order differed kydex shells so the same holster can be used for different guns.

MadMonkey
10-30-2011, 12:45
I use one for my Five-Seven and love it.

cowboy1964
10-30-2011, 13:56
It is my #1 holster and I've tried/looked at many many others.

cjklotz436
10-30-2011, 14:04
I have both a crossbreed super tuc and a comp-Tac (for different guns). As I have said before I feel that the Comp-Tac is superior and wish I would have found it before buying the supertuck.

jadickson
10-30-2011, 14:05

Leather damages metal? I don't get it. What kind of damage could result?
I'm not being glib, I really want to know because I keep my Glock 19 in an MTAC all the time.

tonyparson
10-30-2011, 15:56
I love mine for IWB concealed carry.

tonyparson
10-30-2011, 15:58
Originally Posted by WayaX

Leather damages metal? I don't get it. What kind of damage could result?
I'm not being glib, I really want to know because I keep my Glock 19 in an MTAC all the time.

I'd like to know too? I always leave mine in my MTAC for months at a time. :dunno:

curlysir
10-30-2011, 16:28
I have fixed blade knifes that have been in leather cases for extended periods form a light green scum on them. It will come off semi easy with a rag and does not seem to do permanent damage.. If the gun is removed and wiped periodically it should not be a problem.

billyblooshoes
10-30-2011, 16:45
IMO, the MTAC is the standard for the perfect IWB holster.

RevToTheRedline
10-30-2011, 16:48
While we are on the subject, how do you all feel about the CTAC version? which I guess I didn't realize it when making this thread, it appears to be an all Kydex body with similar attributes to the MTAC.

imjustron
10-30-2011, 16:56
I'm a big Comp-Tac fan. I carry my EDC in an MTAC for IWB, and a Gladiator for OWB. Once I got these two rigs, my hunt for the right holsters for me was over. Heck...I even wear their gun belt to support those rigs. (the Smarties are a nice little treat too)

Cavalry Doc
10-30-2011, 17:00
While we are on the subject, how do you all feel about the CTAC version? which I guess I didn't realize it when making this thread, it appears to be an all Kydex body with similar attributes to the MTAC.

Carried the CTAC for 3 years, liked it a lot. I've had the MTAC for about 2 years, and like it a lot better.

I was surprised at the difference of comfort. I have a set of the new belt clips on the CTAC, just in case I need a spare, but it sets in a drawer for now.

Both of them work well, he MTAC is worth the price difference.

Ranger45
10-30-2011, 17:02
Get one...I love mine!

RevToTheRedline
10-30-2011, 17:17
Thanks a bunch GTers I have secured my decision and the MTAC is gonna be on its way soon.. I'm planning on buying within the next week, and whether it comes in the following week after that or 2-3 weeks after I order it, it will be a gift to myself for my 27th birthday, which is Nov 20th.. Whenever it comes ill just mark it off as close enough and enjoy :D

Considering also throwing in one of their similarly designed Kydex magazine carriers as well, just the outer belt one, not the inside waist.

jdavionic
10-30-2011, 19:37
I love mine. Very comfortable. Took some breaking in, but works well.

M1A Shooter
10-30-2011, 19:41
i had a MTAC and a CTAC and they were great holsters but now i carry with a horsehide Tommy Theis holster. i like its metal clips better and its a bit thinner than the MTAC as well. it is also quite a bit cheaper and just as nice or more.

Angry Fist
10-30-2011, 19:44
Get one! I had to have one in black, months before they even made black ones! :supergrin: I have since trimmed the clips down.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/MO_FUGGAZ/Shelly12.jpg

gunowner1
10-30-2011, 19:52
Can't go wrong with any CompTac product.You don't have to wait the ridiculous amount of time like you do so the other similar holster.

dooga
10-30-2011, 19:55
I use a Theis IWB holster (http://theisholsters.com) in horsehide. That said, everyone seems to love and adore their MTAC and Crossbreed holsters passionately and with devotion.

carloglock19
10-30-2011, 20:51
Get one you wont regret it. I keep my EDC in it 24/7 and haven't noticed any wear or damage except for some lint.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

johnny00
10-30-2011, 23:08
I've had both CTAC and MTAC. MTAC is much more comfortable. Retention is perfect. Re-holstering is a bit tougher, but nothing challenging. Cant adjustability is very nice. Wait time is only a few days versus weeks. Fit and finish is excellent. Really....the MTAC probably should be at the top of one's list for IWB holsters. If anything, give it a try and if it doesn't work out...I'm sure someone will pick it up from you here.

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone had feedback on the MTAC versus a full leather IWB??? I'm assuming it'll be more comfortable, re-holstering a bit more challenging, moisture will affect it, etc.

Thanks!

Oramac
10-31-2011, 10:33
First, happy birthday!! I hope it went well and the holster came in as expected.

I don't have any idea what some people are talking about as far as damage to the slide goes. I keep my G26 in the holster 100% of the time, not counting the time it's being fired for practice. I don't have any damage whatsoever on the gun or holster.

The ONLY possible disadvantage to the MTAC, imo, is that there is about a 2 week break in period for the leather (assuming you wear it every day). It will likely be less comfortable for that initial period, and then far far more comfortable after it.

As many have said before, I love my MTAC! I will likely never buy any other kind of IWB holster.

harlenm
11-01-2011, 11:37
I have both the MTAC and CTAC for 1911's. THe CTAC is a slide, while the MTAC isn't, and will only hold a 3" barrel.

I prefer the CTAC. It's more comfortable since it's thinner. It doesn't untuck my undershirt as easily as the MTAC does. Plus, when I pull the holster out, the gun will stay in it. The MTAC offers no retention when the holster is not being worn.

Oramac
11-01-2011, 13:29
The MTAC offers no retention when the holster is not being worn.

Yours maybe. Mine has more than enough retention even when not worn. I can hold it upside down (not chambered of course) and lightly shake it and the gun stays put just fine.

harlenm
11-01-2011, 14:45
Yours maybe. Mine has more than enough retention even when not worn. I can hold it upside down (not chambered of course) and lightly shake it and the gun stays put just fine.

That's odd. If I grab the butt of the gun the holster will slide right off.

slickt0mmy
11-01-2011, 15:09
Mine has no retention problems either. Just get those screws set properly and you're golden. :wavey:

harlenm
11-01-2011, 17:31
Just cranked the screws almost as tight as they can get, and it still doesn't hold it that tight.

tlr22
11-01-2011, 22:10
Mine held like that when new. Two years later it will not come close to holding it in upside down and the screws are bottomed out. It's still a great holster. I have no retention issues when it is IWB.
I've got a supertuck on order for my new g23. I'm curious to see how it compares.

TDC20
11-01-2011, 22:50
I bought a CTAC and was so impressed, I bought another for a different carry gun. My wife has an MTAC, and there's no arguing it's more comfortable than the CTAC when you first put it on. But, the CTAC isn't uncomfortable by design, and after carrying in the CTAC for a couple of days, you get used to it the same way you get used to wearing a tie (if you didn't wear one every day) or wearing wool socks. You notice it at first, but after a while, it's like it isn't even there. Well, that's how it was for me, some people will probably not be able to get used to a CTAC that way.

Here's some advantages IMO that the CTAC has over the MTAC, though I really don't think you can go wrong either way:

- Slightly thinner for better concealment (splitting hairs here probably)
- All Kydex doesn't absorb, retain, or allow sweat to get to your weapon (not really an issue with a Tennifer finished Glock)
- Easier to re-holster because it won't collapse and retains it's shape 100% when empty
- Retention is more consistent due to 360 degree rigid construction (again, not really an issue with the MTAC when it's actually worn).

The only real disadvantage to the CTAC is that the MTAC is more comfortable, and that's probably #1 if you can't get used to the CTAC.

As for the poster who said leather wears a finish...I can't speak from experience one way or the other with leather holsters, but it's a fact that soft materials will trap and embed tiny bits of abrasive dust, sand etc., and act like sandpaper to a finish, whereas a hard material allows those tiny bits of abrasives to roll like little ball bearings. The trapped particles will cut, but the untrapped particles just roll along doing little damage. This was the reason I was given a long time ago why not to use coated cleaning rods, or aluminum or brass cleaning rods, if you want to preserve your premium rifle barrels. Instead, premium barrel makers almost 100% will tell you to use stainless steel cleaning rods. Barrel makers use soft metals (lead) to hold the abrasive particles when hand lapping barrels, and use brass or aluminum with abrasives for truing up and polishing the crowns at the muzzle. True.

I'm kind of going out on a limb here, but I suspect the same is true of leather, and the older (and dirtier) it gets, the faster the wear will be from repeated drawing/reholstering. Whether it's significant or not depends on the individual and their preference. I would expect Kydex to also embed particles to some extent, except the shiny finish is probably easier to clean dust and particles from than the leather. If anyone has first hand experience on whether there is a difference in finish wear of Kydex vs. leather, please chime in. Maybe this subject is worthy of a new thread.

jamaicanj
11-02-2011, 21:11
I have two MTAC holsters and I'm pleased. Thumbs up to comptac for their customer service as well

RevToTheRedline
11-03-2011, 05:58
@TDC20, thanks so much for taking the time to write all that, I like the extra insight on the CTAC.

madrenj
11-06-2011, 18:06
MTAC is the only IWB I've used, so while I can not compare it to other brands, it has worked well for me. I first wore it using my good old Dockers casual belt, but ran into problems when I switched to a GALCO gun belt. I seems that the belt was thicker than the standard clips and they poked out at the bottom, and did not catch onto the belt. When I tried to draw my gun, the holster came out of my pants, gun intact. I switched to the C-Clips and it has worked great.

I should also mention that the Comp-Tac customer support was excellent. They even extended my 30 return period to allow me to try the C-Clips, with the option to return everything if I did not like them.

Warp
11-06-2011, 18:49
A possible reason not to get an MTAC: Retention. Especially when you are not wearing the holster. If you want to, say, remove your holstered firearm and give it coffee table or nightstand duty a CTAC would, IMO, work better.

Cavalry Doc
11-06-2011, 19:11
A possible reason not to get an MTAC: Retention. Especially when you are not wearing the holster. If you want to, say, remove your holstered firearm and give it coffee table or nightstand duty a CTAC would, IMO, work better.

Have both, CTAC retention is better, MTAC is worth the comfort difference.

IMHO.

swG19
11-06-2011, 19:20
As a new G19 owner, I read a lot of forums on holsters. A lot of people have good things to say about the MTAC so I bought one for my G19 with out ever seeing one and I love it. It is very comfortable and I will probably never need to buy another IWB holster. I also like that fact that I can change the bodies if I get a different pistol. I don't regret buying one. My 2 cents.

Oramac
11-09-2011, 11:13

I use mine for a nightstand holster and it works just fine. In fact, the retention is so good that when I'm not wearing it I have to physically push the holster off the gun using my thumb to get the gun out.

I don't know why some people have such issues with retention. Mine hasn't changed a whit from the factory, outside buying a new set of belt clips.

EDIT: mine is a little over 2 years old. That may have something to do with it, though I wear it probably 360 out of 365 days a year.

cowboy1964
11-09-2011, 12:28
I've never had an issue with the MTAC not holding the gun securely when not attached to me but then again I don't hold my holster upside down and shake it every time I remove it.

There is a little depression on most of the MTAC shells that lock into the trigger guard. You can use some heat to adjust that in or out to change how tightly that locks up. When I got my P30 shell it was too tight and I heated it up and reduced the depression a bit. Now it's perfect.

Deye76
11-13-2011, 12:27
Love the MTAC, in conjunction with their belt most comfortable, best retention holster I used in 35 years of carry. I can run, ride my motorcycle, with only a t-shirt for concealment. I have a slide version meant for models 26, 27 etc. and use it for my model 39. Can hold it upside down, doesn't fall out. I've left my Glock in the MTAC for the last 9 months, except for practice and cleaning and no signs of "wear".

hydroranger
11-14-2011, 19:42
i like my mtac. i like my ctac. i am not crazy about the company's customer service. i purchased a G17 shell for my gen1 mtac and stripped the the backing of one of the machine screws because the screw had been over torqued by the factory. i could not break the thread at all. the technician at comp tac confirmed my problem as originating with them when i called. the company would not repair or replace my holster (which i asked for), which was defective from the start, but they would offer me a 10% discount on a newer Gen2 mtac. i did not want a lower price on a new holster. i wanted my holster fixed so i could exchange gen1 shells with it. it is not fixed and i can't exchange kydex shells with it.

my particular holster was defective from the start, but because it is a gen 1 version and past its 1 year warranty, they would not work with me to make it right other than 10% off a new gen 2 version. i would have handled it differently had i been comp tac customer service.

bill p

stanley
11-16-2011, 11:04
I use a Theis IWB holster (http://theisholsters.com) in horsehide. That said, everyone seems to love and adore their MTAC and Crossbreed holsters passionately and with devotion.
+1 on the Theis holster

hamster
11-16-2011, 13:55
I'm a huge fan of their infidel. I just love the positive "snap" the holster makes as the gun is inserted. Just like in the movies. :)

dancingwolf
11-17-2011, 09:42
If I may add my $0.02 to the many opinions voiced here, M-TAC ROCKS!!! I have tried more holsters than I can remember over the years, but M-TAC works the absolute best for me: Comfortable with no restriction of movement; very concealable (when worn with a tucked shirt); excellent retention; built tough to use every day (which I do). No excuse not to buy one!

bdhawk
11-17-2011, 17:24
i am a big comptac fan. as for the MTAC, you will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable IWB holster. only downside, for me at least, is it is kinda hard for me to put it on. i have to loosen my belt, work it in, put in the gun, and then retighten my belt. it has gotten easier with experience.

comptacs i own....

pro undercover----kimber
pro undercover----G22 [i wish i had bought the slide version, in hindsight]
pro undercover----fits my XD 9MM service, XD .40 S&W service, and XD .45 tactical
infidel----G20sf
MTAC-----slide version fits my G27, G22, all small frame glocks