75g rounds don't cycle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 75g rounds don't cycle

QNman
10-30-2011, 12:34
I recently purchased some Wolf 75g match ammo in .223 funny thing is, in my 20-inch bull-barreled AR, they won't cycle. They cycle the bolt enough to eject, but not enough to strip and load the next round. Same gun, same mag, cycles 55g rounds like nobodys business, but will not cycle the 75's. Is a spring change necessary?

Please keep the Wolf bashing elsewhere. If there is an issue specific to this Wolf ammo, chime in. But no "Wolf sucks" nonsense, please.

WoodenPlank
10-30-2011, 13:56
I recently purchased some Wolf 75g match ammo in .223 funny thing is, in my 20-inch bull-barreled AR, they won't cycle. They cycle the bolt enough to eject, but not enough to strip and load the next round. Same gun, same mag, cycles 55g rounds like nobodys business, but will not cycle the 75's. Is a spring change necessary?

Please keep the Wolf bashing elsewhere. If there is an issue specific to this Wolf ammo, chime in. But no "Wolf sucks" nonsense, please.

I've had the same issue with Wolf ammo in ARs before, even with the 55 grain Wolf. Does 55gr Wolf work fine in the same gun? Also, are you using a rifle stock/buffer/spring, or carbine? If you are using a carbine stock, what weight buffer are you using?

QNman
10-30-2011, 15:12
I've had the same issue with Wolf ammo in ARs before, even with the 55 grain Wolf. Does 55gr Wolf work fine in the same gun? Also, are you using a rifle stock/buffer/spring, or carbine? If you are using a carbine stock, what weight buffer are you using?

I hadn't thought about trying Wolf 55 in this one.... Good thought. Will try that soon. I have some 55, just haven't shot out of this rifle. Never had issues before.

Full rifle stock, mil-spec, with std rifle buffer and spring.

Another note - this is polymer coated, not enamel.

JGguns
10-30-2011, 16:16
I can't say speak specifically about the the 75 gr but I had wolf do that to a old rock river ar I had. Wouldn't do it all the time. I just chalked it up to being underpowered. I would be curious to see what 55 grain wolf does in your rifle.

Gunnut 45/454
10-30-2011, 18:13
Yep just bad (underpowered ammo) ! Spend the extra cash to get good ammo!:whistling:

hagar
10-30-2011, 19:53
I tried the same 75 Wolf for highpower shooting, thought I could use it for offhand. It sucked, very underpowered and turned my 1/2 moa NM AR into a 4 moa AR shot from a bench for testing. I really think Wolf 223 is too expensive at ANY price..

QNman
10-30-2011, 20:05
Yep just bad (underpowered ammo) ! Spend the extra cash to get good ammo!:whistling:

:tongueout:

Thanks GN.

QNman
10-30-2011, 20:05
I tried the same 75 Wolf for highpower shooting, thought I could use it for offhand. It sucked, very underpowered and turned my 1/2 moa NM AR into a 4 moa AR shot from a bench for testing. I really think Wolf 223 is too expensive at ANY price..

I had no trouble with accuracy. Just wouldn't cycle.

WoodenPlank
10-31-2011, 16:49
I had no trouble with accuracy. Just wouldn't cycle.

Yep, sounds like weak ammo.

arclight610
10-31-2011, 17:46
Wolf won't cycle my friend's MSAR AUG on the clean setting, only on the dirty. Every other .223 ammo cycles on clean fine.

NEOH212
10-31-2011, 21:21
I stopped reading at, "Wolf."

I had the same issue with this ammo in two of my AR's.

Get some good quality ammo and I would be willing to bet that your cycling problem will go away.

QNman
10-31-2011, 21:35
I stopped reading at, "Wolf."

I had the same issue with this ammo in two of my AR's.

Get some good quality ammo and I would be willing to bet that your cycling problem will go away.

I have several brands of ammo, but only one 75g.

NEOH212
10-31-2011, 21:44
I have several brands of ammo, but only one 75g.

Sorry, I should have said try a different brand with the 75 grain load. I have had great success with Hornaday and Black Hills.

Gunnut 45/454
11-01-2011, 10:12
QNman
Well I stated the most obvious answer if you insist on using under powered ammo cause it's cheap then you have to go with the extra exspense of f'ing with springs and buffer weights to get your AR to function with cheap under powered ammo! Which is cheaper buying different spring /buffers or paying a few extra bucks and buying quality ammo or reload your own?:upeyes: See I don't buy cheap ammo- all brass here cause when I want Quality match grade ammo I build my own!:supergrin: Guess what it always functions 100% in my AR's!