Why Won't SC Politicians Reciprocate [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why Won't SC Politicians Reciprocate

Glenn129
10-31-2011, 16:17
In a recent post a South Carolina sheriff suggested we all carry concealed weapons. I agree with the sheriff, but the state of South Carolina will not reciprocate with my state of Georgia concealed carry license, and allow my wife and I to legally carry a concealed weapon in South Carolina. He needs to ask the SC Legislature to amend its concealed carry law so my wife and I can legally carry while visiting SC. I wonder why the State Legislature in South Carolina will not reciprocate with other Southern states on concealed carry licenses? Until it does I will not visit South Carolina.

Ticman
10-31-2011, 17:45
It's because of the different training requirements. I think all the states should honor a carry permit. No feds need apply.

cowboy1964
10-31-2011, 18:00
We have the same issue here in Ohio. No reciprocity with GA, AL, or MS.

I'm all for national reciprocity, even if the feds have to make it happen. So is the NRA. When I drive to Florida I have to disarm at the border because of the short drive through Georgia? It's ridiculous.

hawgrider
10-31-2011, 18:01
Not all southern states. NC and SC have reciprocal agreements.

mikesull415
10-31-2011, 18:02
Don't know which side started it.....but we don't take yours cause you won't take ours. I had to get a non resident Florida license to be able to carry in Georgia

MotorCityBear
10-31-2011, 19:38
I used to live in FL and could carry in SC. Now that I live in GA, my GA permit does not allow me to carry in SC. I am told it is because SC and FL require a class to get a permit and GA does not. SC is not comfortable with CCP's without any "formal training."

xmanhockey7
11-02-2011, 21:08
SC, Colorado, and MI can be a pain in the ass. They all require a resident permit and do not offer non-resident permits. Michigan as long as you have a permit from your state of residence you're good to CC. SC and Colorado must recognize your home states permit. While SC does tech issue non-resident permits it's only to those who own land but do not reside there.

EAJuggalo
11-03-2011, 06:21
Then find some gun guy that has forty acres and have him sell you a square foot of it, now you're a SC landowner and eligible for a permit.

dosei
11-03-2011, 07:03
He needs to ask the SC Legislature to amend its concealed carry law so my wife and I can legally carry while visiting SC.

Bill H.3292 would do just that if it passes.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_2011-2012/bills/3292.htm

I wonder why the State Legislature in South Carolina will not reciprocate with other Southern states on concealed carry licenses?

All you had to do was read the law and you would have known.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm#23-31-215
(N) Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.
So, if H.3292 passes and your permit is honored by SC...will you then actually take the time to read the law?

Bren
11-03-2011, 07:14
Don't know which side started it.....but we don't take yours cause you won't take ours. I had to get a non resident Florida license to be able to carry in Georgia

Kentucky used to have that, years ago, but now we have "we accept all states" and our permit is a NICS substitute (no instant check when buying a gun). Fortunately, we have some legislators (Democrats) who have lead the way in establishing CCW and making the law more CCW and self-defense friendly every year. In other states they call them far-right Republicans, but here in KY they are Democrats, other than a few from big cities.

jellis11
11-03-2011, 07:31
I see what you're saying. I don't have a big complaint as my SC permit reciprocates with all the states I have family in... except in ATL where we go a lot :( But all the way up to PA is good.

xmanhockey7
11-03-2011, 09:37
So, if H.3292 passes and your permit is honored by SC...will you then actually take the time to read the law?
It looks like 3292 would be constitutional carry. I'm not 100% sure what you're saying but whenever I go to a state and carry I check that states laws.

uscgamecock
11-06-2011, 07:02
I went online and printed out a form for a non resident PA ccw license, filled it out and enclosed a check for around $40.00 and a copy of my SC license. Two weeks later, I received it in the mail. PA reciprocates with GA and SC. You should be able to find the for with a google search.

sandworm40
11-06-2011, 09:42
Disregard.

220-9er
11-06-2011, 12:45
Georgia does not require a permit to carry a loaded weapon in your car. So even if your states permit doesn't work here for carry while walking around you are ok in the car.

Cavalry Doc
11-06-2011, 13:52
Georgia does not require a permit to carry a loaded weapon in your car. So even if your states permit doesn't work here for carry while walking around you are ok in the car.

TX allows carry in a car without a license.

Seems to me, you would be much more likely to need the thing on the way to or from the car.