So I bought a Ruger LCP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a Ruger LCP

dkf
10-31-2011, 18:12
I plan on using Hornady or Blacks Hills ammo with the 90grain XTP.(In .380 auto obviously) Any feeding issues with this round in the LCP?

I see the Hornady Critical Defense is popular for the LCP but I don't care for the FTX bullet so thats out.(After seeing a lot of tests on it) From the tests I've seen (not official agency testing) the .380 XTP seems to do well and penetrate well as the XTP bullet is known to do.

bac1023
10-31-2011, 18:38
Congrats on the LCP.

Merkavaboy
10-31-2011, 19:16
I plan on using Hornady or Blacks Hills ammo with the 90grain XTP.(In .380 auto obviously) Any feeding issues with this round in the LCP?

My suggestion is to buy whatever ammo want to use and test the ammo in your own pistol. Don't rely on what others say about X ammo working in their pistol because your pistol may or may not function with that same ammo type.

txgunguy
10-31-2011, 19:48
FMJ for me in my lcp.

dkf
10-31-2011, 20:09
My suggestion is to buy whatever ammo want to use and test the ammo in your own pistol. Don't rely on what others say about X ammo working in their pistol because your pistol may or may not function with that same ammo type.

I agree. I was just curious if others had any issues with the XTP rounds in their LCP.

Tiro Fijo
10-31-2011, 20:32
I hope the chick you bought it for likes it. :whistling:

:rofl: :tongueout:

dkf
10-31-2011, 20:43
Your mom says she loves it.:whistling::tongueout:

J_Rico
11-02-2011, 16:00
Can not speak to the Black Hills loading, however the Fiocchi round with the 90gr XTP bullet had feeding issues in my LCP and my Mom's Bersa. The bullet is very long and the OAL of the cartridge is so long that it sticks in the magazine.

I carry Winchester Rangers in my LCP and have run a couple hundred through w/o issue.

Just my experience.

PghJim
11-06-2011, 00:54
Buffalo Bore makes both a 90 and a 95gr jacketed hollow point rounds that are the fastest ones available. I carry a Keltec 3AT as a back up gun and love both of the rounds. If you were thinking of an XTP or other standard HP, I would check the BB's out.

TLHelmer
11-06-2011, 05:08
I have had an LCP for a couple of years. I have been using the 90 grain Speer gold dot. The gun did have some FTF at first and it likes to be very wet (lubricated). It is 100 percent now when it is well lubricated.

smitty704
11-06-2011, 06:52
I am in the market for an LCP at the moment. I need a pistol that I can pocket carry when the G19 or M&P 45c is not an option(at work only). Thanks for your thread, it has been helpful. I will most likely buy the Gold Dots for mine when the time comes.

By the way, have you had an opportunity to shoot the LCP yet? If so, how is it treating you?

dkf
11-06-2011, 08:14
I am in the market for an LCP at the moment. I need a pistol that I can pocket carry when the G19 or M&P 45c is not an option(at work only). Thanks for your thread, it has been helpful. I will most likely buy the Gold Dots for mine when the time comes.

By the way, have you had an opportunity to shoot the LCP yet? If so, how is it treating you?Just got to pick it up last Wed due to power outages. I put 100rounds of WWB flat point through it thus far. I had one failure to eject out of the hundred about 25 or so rounds into the 100. The WWB didn't seem to have great QC and the bullet was seated with runout. The .380 Blazer Brass FMJ looks to be better quality. The LCP only comes with one mag so I bought 2 extra. The failure to eject didn't seem like a mag issue to me.

I completely stripped the gun, relubed and polished the barrel feed ramp. I'm going to get out and run another 100 rounds or so through it when I get the chance. Overall I'm impressed with how accurate the LCP is despite being a tiny gun lacking in the sight department.

I didn't get to pick up any HPs yet to try as the shop I got the gun from was limited in ammo selection. I will have to order some.

I've compared the size of the CM9 to the LCP because I was considering the CM9. The LCP is a lot smaller and better for pocket carry. The P380 from Kahr is a nice small gun but it is also about double the cost of the LCP.

Can not speak to the Black Hills loading, however the Fiocchi round with the 90gr XTP bullet had feeding issues in my LCP and my Mom's Bersa. The bullet is very long and the OAL of the cartridge is so long that it sticks in the magazine.I've read about tissues with the Fiocchi XTP in the LCP. I've also been reading of issues with Fiocchi in .357sig and .40 recently. I think I'm going to avoid the Fiocchi and order up some Black Hills with the XTP to try.

The gun did have some FTF at first and it likes to be very wet (lubricated)

Noted. Thanks.

longhaulcop
11-06-2011, 10:16
Purchased a LCP last week as a walk the dog, carry to the store gun, and so far have been very impressed!
Check out this website for more info on LCPs.
http://www.elsiepeaforum.com/

PghJim
11-06-2011, 11:55

By the way, have you had an opportunity to shoot the LCP yet? If so, how is it treating you?

I know this is a Glock forum, but the baby Glocks are not pocket carry. Out of everything out there, I found the Kahr PM9 to be the best for that purpose. I put a CT laser guard on it and it is the perfect pocket carry with +p+ ammo. However, the LCP and Keltec 3AT are very handy. I still use the 3AT in an ankle holster when there is no other option.

dkf
12-02-2011, 18:40
An update.

So far I got 175 rounds through my LCP.(Shot some more this morning) I Put 100 rounds of 95gr Blazer Brass FMJ and 25rds of Hornady Custom 90gr XTP through thus far.

I did have one FTE at about round 40 with the WWB. That was the only failure so far. After the first 100 rounds I polished the feed ramp on the barrel.

I still want to put more ammo through it before I carry it. Havn't had time lately and I have to order more XTP rounds.

While at the range this morning I did find 100rds of Winchester .40 brass that someone must not have wanted to pick up. I was pretty happy about that.

Batwing
12-02-2011, 21:26
I use the Hornady FTX loads in my LCP. I don't have a problem with them, and completely trust them. The ones I have are the gold colored primers so my understanding is those are not prone to having the previous issues.

I'd also trust the XTP loads, but I like the FTX.