9mm Gold Dots, 124+P vs. 147's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Gold Dots, 124+P vs. 147's

sulaco
10-31-2011, 18:52
I used to carry Cor-Bon ammo in my defensive 9mm but I sold my last one a while back. I recently picked up another one and plan to use it for a home defense and range gun (it's an early 3rd gen 34 2-pin).

I've been very pleased with Gold Dots in my other guns and so I looked at them first. I weeded out the Rangers because of QC issues I've been hearing about (plus I can't find them locally) and the HST's because they are not bonded (I really like bonded bullets for barrier penetration, even if I sacrifice a minute amount of expansion).

So I narrowed it down to either the 124+P or 147gr Gold Dots. My LGS carries both in 50rd boxes for about 23 bucks a box so it really just depends on performance for me.

I went with the 124+P because it doesn't seem to lose much to the heavier 147 other than a slight bit of sectional density and those few more grains of weight. I like the idea of a heavier bullet, but I think the velocity does really good things for the 124.

Anyone else shooting either of these loads? If so, what did you end up going with for defensive use?

JBP55
10-31-2011, 18:56
I used to carry Cor-Bon ammo in my defensive 9mm but I sold my last one a while back. I recently picked up another one and plan to use it for a home defense and range gun (it's an early 3rd gen 34 2-pin).

I've been very pleased with Gold Dots in my other guns and so I looked at them first. I weeded out the Rangers because of QC issues I've been hearing about (plus I can't find them locally) and the HST's because they are not bonded (I really like bonded bullets for barrier penetration, even if I sacrifice a minute amount of expansion).

So I narrowed it down to either the 124+P or 147gr Gold Dots. My LGS carries both in 50rd boxes for about 23 bucks a box so it really just depends on performance for me.

I went with the 124+P because it doesn't seem to lose much to the heavier 147 other than a slight bit of sectional density and those few more grains of weight. I like the idea of a heavier bullet, but I think the velocity does really good things for the 124.

Anyone else shooting either of these loads? If so, what did you end up going with for defensive use?

You picked an excellent round. Shoot them and be happy. :cool:

cowboy1964
10-31-2011, 19:27
I prefer the 124+P over the 147 too. Losing 200 fps or more doesn't make sense to gain 23gr, IMO. Either will work though.

The one nice thing about the 147s is they are softer shooting.

You're really lucky to have local access to 50 round boxes for anything in the $2x range.

Andy W
10-31-2011, 21:05
You picked a really good round but, if you ever see a good deal on a case of Federal HST 9mm, either the 124+p or the 147 grain, I wouldn't be shy about snapping them up. From what I've heard, even thought they aren't bonded, they do very well in the field. They also don't fare much worse than Gold Dots in barrier penetration. Go to ATKs website, which is the parent company of both Federal and Speer. They have some tests of both the HST and Gold Dot compared against competitors.

Here: http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx

JBP55
10-31-2011, 22:18
It is hard to go wrong in 9mm with 124+P HST, Gold Dot, Ranger T.

RMD
11-01-2011, 07:56
You picked an excellent round. Shoot them and be happy. :cool:

This. Stock up, practice and enjoy.

mastrbloata
11-01-2011, 11:44
This is an interesting post to me because not long ago I bought 500 GD 124gr. +P's. Every test I've seen with them seems good and of course NYPD uses them. That being said though, I find I'm carrying the 147gr. GD's here lately. And the reason is that recently, a little bit of doubt has been creeping into my mind about the amount of penetration of the 124gr+P. It's probably ridiculous on my part but for what ever reason, lately, I'm thinking I'd rather chance it with over penetration and a smidge less expansion than coming up short. For years and years I've been an advocate of the 124gr+P GD and I still am. I just feel better using the 147gr GD's right now.

jellis11
11-01-2011, 11:48
You're really lucky to have local access to 50 round boxes for anything in the $2x range.

no kidding, right!

127+p are what i carry as well. no probs at all

sulaco
11-01-2011, 12:22
This is an interesting post to me because not long ago I bought 500 GD 124gr. +P's. Every test I've seen with them seems good and of course NYPD uses them. That being said though, I find I'm carrying the 147gr. GD's here lately. And the reason is that recently, a little bit of doubt has been creeping into my mind about the amount of penetration of the 124gr+P. It's probably ridiculous on my part but for what ever reason, lately, I'm thinking I'd rather chance it with over penetration and a smidge less expansion than coming up short. For years and years I've been an advocate of the 124gr+P GD and I still am. I just feel better using the 147gr GD's right now.

Out of all the tests I've seen for the GD 124+P, penetration has never been an issue. I would think living in FL, you would not have a problem with penetration anyway, since the colder months are so moderate (less clothing than up north).

Snowman92D
11-01-2011, 13:47
The Chicago PD, just a few years ago, got out from under the yoke of the 147-grain sub-sonic 9mm they'd been saddled with for many years. They swapped their 147-grain Gold Dots out for 124-grain +P Gold Dots and the complaints about 9mm service ammo performance from the field have evaporated.

sulaco
11-01-2011, 13:49
The Chicago PD, just a few years ago, got out from under the yoke of the 147-grain sub-sonic 9mm they'd been saddled with for many years. They swapped their 147-grain Gold Dots out for 124-grain +P Gold Dots and the complaints about 9mm service ammo performance from the field have evaporated.

Do you know if there is anything out there substantiating this claim? I am not doubting you, I just like to read it for myself is all.

mastrbloata
11-01-2011, 14:21
Out of all the tests I've seen for the GD 124+P, penetration has never been an issue. I would think living in FL, you would not have a problem with penetration anyway, since the colder months are so moderate (less clothing than up north).

It's precisely because people don't bundle up over here very often that got me thinking about the penetration. The bullet is going to get deeper with denim material and/or heavy clothing. The bullet expands more rapidly in bare gel tests that I've seen. (Yes, I'm aware they are just gel tests.)

As I've stated previously, I'm an advocate of the 124gr. +P GD but my thoughts now are that 12" to 13" may not be enough.

cowboy1964
11-01-2011, 14:41
The FBI set the minimum at 12" after the 1986 fiasco. It's the bullets that only get 9-10" that really are problematic but let's face it, 99 times out of 100 even they work well, and actually are quite devastating (9BPLE comes to mind).

NG VI
11-04-2011, 20:04
It's precisely because people don't bundle up over here very often that got me thinking about the penetration. The bullet is going to get deeper with denim material and/or heavy clothing. The bullet expands more rapidly in bare gel tests that I've seen. (Yes, I'm aware they are just gel tests.)

That's what I've noticed and read from credible bulletscience types.

The extra clothing nearly always delays and/or reduces expansion, which increases penetration. Bullets can travel a lot further through dry non-compressed fabric than they can through a human body, and they don't expand in a down jacket.