Need Better CCW Planning for Vacations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need Better CCW Planning for Vacations

BKG-22
10-31-2011, 20:31
[A friend of mine, ahem] Was carrying from Michigan to South Carolina and back. Stopped in a Ruby Tuesday's in Tennessee and sat at a table, not thinking twice about a Kahr in his pocket. Happened to look up and see a big sign in red letters stating that since they serve alcohol, no ccw allowed. :shocked:

Immediately excused himself to the car and deposited into lock box. Wow! He certainly respects their laws but never gave it a second thought when planning trip to the Carolina's. Illinois is the only state he looks out for (and avoids).

Guess I need to put more planning into my road trips. :upeyes:

denn1911
10-31-2011, 20:37
Is that a state law or their restaurant policy? If you're not drinking yourself, must you abide by that also?

BKG-22
10-31-2011, 20:47
The signage was clearly state law - including penalties, and criminal code reference number. Listed as misdemeanor up to 12 months 364 days in jail + $10,000 fine.

And yes, it applied to all in the building, drinking or not.

Or so that is what my friend recalls.

Gary Slider
10-31-2011, 21:05
TN Law allows Carry in places that serve alcohol if they are not posted. If they are posted then State Law applies as below:

39-17-1359. Prohibition at Certain Meetings — Posting Notice. —
(a) (1) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.
(2) The prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is authorized to carry a firearm by authority of 39-17-1351
(b) (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.
(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited.
(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:
AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.
(B) As used in this section, ―language substantially similar to‖ means the sign contains language plainly stating that:
(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;
www.handgunlaw.us 5
(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and
(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.
(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:
(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or
(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).
(c) (1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted in accordance with this section.
(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).
(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate any civil or criminal liability that a property owner or manager may have for injuries arising on their property.
(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to title 70 regarding wildlife laws, rules and regulations.
(f) This section shall not apply to the grounds of any public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. The carrying of firearms in those areas shall be governed by 39-17-1311.
[Acts 1996, ch. 905, 11; 2000, ch. 929, 1; 2009, ch. 428, 4; 2010, ch. 1009, 3.]

BKG-22
11-01-2011, 06:02
So, if it is entirely discretionary for the establishment to decide if they want to allow carry (which is a common practice in many states), wonder why this sign was specifically tied to serving alcohol?

The signage was clearly not part of the room's decor and appeared to be some state issued, block lettered, legal-eze that looked out of place for the other pictures having on the wall. The language was prefaced by "this establishment serves alcohol therefore.....". The penalties were were also spelled - including that odd 12 month 364 day prison sentence.

Seems if they were anti-ccw they would just post the no firearms allowed sign and be done with it. Odd.

Oh well - thanks for the info.

ashecht
11-01-2011, 06:17
also keep in mind that within SC, open carry is ILLEGAL, you WILL be stopped trust me, I can speak from experience. Also, when driving, the gun must be concealed, ie covered if carrying, or in the glovebox if not carrying.

fuzzy03cls
11-01-2011, 10:08
Glad I'm in FL. If you can't carry into a restaurant because they have some anti policy why carry? Your likely to be jacked going to & from your car in the parking lot.
Surprised TN has not gotten that changed.

G22DaD
11-01-2011, 10:36
We've tried. It keeps getting shot down. :steamed:

HexHead
11-01-2011, 10:42
[A friend of mine, ahem] Was carrying from Michigan to South Carolina and back. Stopped in a Ruby Tuesday's in Tennessee and sat at a table, not thinking twice about a Kahr in his pocket. Happened to look up and see a big sign in red letters stating that since they serve alcohol, no ccw allowed. :shocked:

That sign only applies to people without a Handgun Carry Permit.

Now if the had a sign by the door with verbiage and/or a gun busters symbol, that would be a different story.

BKG-22
11-01-2011, 20:29
That sign only applies to people without a Handgun Carry Permit.

Now if the had a sign by the door with verbiage and/or a gun busters symbol, that would be a different story.

I'm confused, but will take your word for it. As an out-of-stater, not sure what verbiage I should be looking for. But the way it was interpreted, it really didn't differentiate between ccw and non-ccw. But I get to Tennessee maybe once every 2-3 years, so mental note to self to check theses things out in advance.

NMGlocker
11-01-2011, 20:32
No habla sign.
I is illiterate.

LayNLow698
11-01-2011, 20:39
http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is a good resource to use for traveling.
In TN, unless it is posted with: (3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:
AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE. OR a Gunbuster (circle slash with gun in the middle) sign it is legal to carry. Any No Firearms allowed, or anything of that sort is not a legally binding posting. BUT they CAN ask you to leave and if you refuse to leave is when you will have problems.

fuzzy03cls
11-02-2011, 09:32
No habla sign.
I is illiterate.
:rofl:

RussP
11-02-2011, 09:51
Glad I'm in FL. If you can't carry into a restaurant because they have some anti policy why carry?So that you can carry into a restaurant that does not prohibit firearms.

HexHead
11-02-2011, 10:00
I'm confused, but will take your word for it. As an out-of-stater, not sure what verbiage I should be looking for. But the way it was interpreted, it really didn't differentiate between ccw and non-ccw. But I get to Tennessee maybe once every 2-3 years, so mental note to self to check theses things out in advance.

The sign you saw was handed out to them with their liquor license by the ABC board. The sign you need to be concerned with must be posted at all entrances and contain the verbiage in the other posts, or just be the international symbol no guns sign.

Oh yeah, the fine on that sign you saw was $2500, not $10,000.