Over size trigger plate for 870 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Over size trigger plate for 870

aippi
10-31-2011, 21:00
Being up here in Michigan I am often shooting with gloves on and always hunting with gloves on. For this reason I am liking what you see in this picture. This is a proto-type model that Mesa Tactical sent me to install all the parts in. I put it in one of my personal 870's and I love it.

I will now send it back to Mesa, I want to keep it but promised Mitch I would send it back for thier Testing. For this to get into production I think they need to hear from guys that are interested in an upgrade like this. The 870 would be first then other models.

So please post in with comments and maybe they will be reading this and decide to get these out there for us. I certainly have a need and know others who do.

tenntornado
11-01-2011, 02:30
I bet that is gonna cost a pretty penny.

aippi
11-01-2011, 06:37
You only buy the trigger plate, not the internal parts. You have a gun smith convert your parts overs to this plate, or, DIY but of course that is not recommend as are most modifications to weapons.

So the cost will not be be unresonable.

method
11-01-2011, 12:18
I know it's performing quite a function, but damn is that just smothering form.

Buffering
11-01-2011, 12:19
I don't shoot with winter/thick gloves so I wouldn't be making a purchase however I understand the product.

A couple of observations:

Is there some reason why it looks like a hexagon wrench? "Here, let me kill off the zombies first and then you can use my 13/16" trigger guard to wrench off that bolt."

Why isn't it curved? Seems odd looking although it probably functions just fine?

Is this a niche item in search of a solution to a largely non-existent problem? I mean what have shooters and hunters been doing for 50 years? I don't recall ever hearing of a shooter having the dreaded "my glove is too big to shoot my 870" problem.

Just my off the cuff thoughts.

Buffering
11-01-2011, 12:59
It's a been a half hour since I posted and during that time I've reflected on the aesthetics of the trigger guard and I don't care for it. Nature abhors straight lines which is why it bothers me. The 870 is sleek and beautiful and this part just makes the lines all wrong.

Yes, I know that you eat food and how hit looks is likely secondary however you eat with your eyes before you eat with your mouth.

Would this girl be interesting if she was nothing but straight lines and her nickname was Blade? I didn't think so.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/lingerie-hot-model-17.jpg?w=500&h=670

aippi
11-01-2011, 17:05
Keep the comments coming as this is a working model and changes can be made so the observations you guys make are important.

Denied
11-01-2011, 17:16
Appi, I like the concept, I wear gloves a lot. Two suggestions, smooth might sell better second, simple installation by user would also help sales. I might pay the price for the part but if I have to add a trip to the gun smith it could be too much.

aippi
11-01-2011, 17:28
Denied - If the vendor has to buy new parts from Remington and install them in this after market trigger plate assembly the cost is going to be very high. I sugested a listing of gun smiths and certified armorers where you can send your trigger plate and this one and they would do the conversion. So there would such a list on their web site.

Thumb through Brownells and look at the products that recommend "Gun Smith" installation. A lot of stuff, right. But upgrading a weapon with certain items is worth the short waite so guys do it.

Buff - The issue does exsit and that is why some Military weapons have a "winter" Trigger guard. Not possible with the 870, as you know, due to the design. If it is a not a problem for you then of course you are not interested. However, if you promise to bring that Blonde you can both come up to Michigan for the Late December Deer season. I will take you out to my stand and go back home to entertain her. You will need very, very, very warm gloves. I will see she stays warm.

22highcaps
11-01-2011, 18:08
What material is it made of?

aippi
11-01-2011, 18:24
Highcaps - it will be made of Ryton.

Buffering
11-01-2011, 19:24
Buff - The issue does exsit and that is why some Military weapons have a "winter" Trigger guard. Not possible with the 870, as you know, due to the design. If it is a not a problem for you then of course you are not interested. However, if you promise to bring that Blonde you can both come up to Michigan for the Late December Deer season. I will take you out to my stand and go back home to entertain her. You will need very, very, very warm gloves. I will see she stays warm.

A trigger guard that was rounded at the bottom seems to be cheaper to manufacture owing to less material. Honestly, that prototype just looks modular. If it was rounded it would keep the lines relatively unchanged.

As far as gunsmith installation, it's not a problem to have it sent out. I mean look at all the parts that require a 'smith to install and no one complains so this is just another of those parts. I mean someone certainly try to drill and tap for a receiver installed pic rail if they wanted but it's just not wise. Same with installing a competition barrel in a 1911 or a dovetail front sight. The list is endless.

If you'll supply the ammo I'll bring a cardboard cutout of her. She's not much of a talker, you know.

B Coyote
11-02-2011, 01:15
I think a rounded version would be more aesthetically pleasing.

Depending upon the cost, I'd be interested, if it were rounded.

bc

byf43
11-02-2011, 10:54
J.D.:

Looks good!!! I kinda like the 'edges' on the trigger-guard!!!
(IF it were rounded, it would look 'bulbous' and out-of-place.)

As for Buffering's photo, bulbous looks kinda nice, too!:supergrin:

Back to the regular programming. . . .

I would be interested in this, with one change.
I would want to keep my factory trigger group intact, and buy the whole assembly.
Cost????????? Well. . . what DOESN'T cost, nowadays????

Victoriagotagun
11-02-2011, 11:15
Any chance of pinching a finger during firing with the Speedfeed stock and that gap?

aippi
11-02-2011, 12:53
I had no issues during the testing of this, no pinch points that I can see. It will be on it's way back to Mitch at Mesa Tactical today as it is the only one and they will do some testing now that the parts are installed. I would love to keep it till December because if I still have a tag left from bow hunting I will break out one of my slug guns and use it during firearms season. But, it is not mine so it goes back. Dang it.

ArmoryDoc
11-18-2011, 14:11
It' an ugly piece but it should be functional for that small market that does gloved shooting. I wouldn't use it myself.