Independence .45 ACP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Independence .45 ACP

Andy W
10-31-2011, 21:57
Several months ago, while I was visiting my dad in Amarillo, TX, we decided to go shooting an indoor range in town. While there, I rented a Smith & Wesson M&P .45 and also purchased a box of Indepencence .45 Auto to shoot through it. I remember thinking that stuff was really loud and had a tremendous amount of recoil. To me, it both sounded and felt almost like I was shooting full power .357 mganum through that thing. At the time I didn't think anything of it because I had been shooting exclusively .22LR for several months and figured I just wasn't used to the recoil of a .45 compared to a .22.

However, the other day I read an old thread on another forum where people claimed Independence .45 ACP had more recoil than other brands. it was the same for other calibers too. Does anybody else have experience with this ammo that can chime in?

Berto
10-31-2011, 22:12
I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary with Ind ammo. Usually I shoot their .38sp 130gr stuff, but I have used the 230gr .45acp stuff in my Kimber and 325PD....it shoots very well, didn't discern extra recoil.
I like the stuff, though I no longer find it cheap priced.

collim1
11-03-2011, 05:11
I like it too, and buy it when I can find it. It is not a normally stocked brand in my area, but it turns up on occasion.

It is good stuff, but haven't ever shot it side by side with UMC in WWB so I cant really comment on that.

I do recall noticing that it was a very clean shooting ammo unlike some, cough, Federal Champion, cough cough, that I buy alot of because it is cheap.

Brucev
11-03-2011, 06:49
Have used it in 9mm, .38 Special and .45 ACP. Compared to same calibers produced by other manufacturers, normal in every respect.

Jim S.
11-06-2011, 12:03
I've shot tons of Independence .45 ACP and never once did I think it was over powered or over anything.
Never had a problem with it either.

bac1023
11-08-2011, 22:18
I like Independence ammo.

Glock19Fan
11-13-2011, 14:44
I like Independence ammo.

This.

I have used it in .380, 9mm, and .45ACP. All fired with no issues. In fact it is my prefered carry ammo for .380s becuase of reliability and accuracy.

Cant comment on recoil comparisons, but I did notice in 9mm it had a pretty visible muzzle flash, but didnt notice this in the other calibers.

--bullseye--
11-15-2011, 00:30
I remember hearing that some of the early Independence was imported from Brazil (think Magtech/CBC).

It's an ATK (Federal) brand and is all made in the USA now from what I can tell. Slightly different flavor in the Speer Lawman/Federal American Eagle/Federal Champion/Blazer Brass/Blazer line of products. (You'll note all the boxes are strangely similar, except for the words and colors. :winkie: )