Help with ammo for a G23 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with ammo for a G23

G21MAN
11-01-2011, 19:15
I have put 75 Winchester PDX1's through my Gen 4 G23 so far. My goal was to put a total of 200 failure free of them through the gun, and then use it for carry ammo. I chose the PDX1's because I can get them locally at Sportsman's Warehouse. I had 2 failures to feed yesterday with this ammo. Long story short, I think the FTF's are an ammo issue. This is because my two handed grip is solid, and most Gen 4 G23's don't have FTF issues. Here's my problem. Do I switch over to Gold dots or HST's, and go for another 200 round trial? Is their quality better than Winchester's? Or will I be wasting my time because 75 rounds into the Gold dots or HST's I'll get another ammo quality issue? I am trying to take Massad Ayoob's advice of running 200 failure free rounds on a carry gun. The gun is brand new, and I shoot 180 grain rounds through it. Just my preference for heavy for caliber rounds. What do you guys and gals think I should do? Also, anyone have any velocity data on the 180 grain Gold dots or HST's out of a 4 inch barrel? Thanks.

Buckeye 7x57
11-01-2011, 19:26
My dept. issues 180 grain HST. Out of a 4 1/4" M&P barrel they are about 1025fps. Out of a 4" G23 they are almost exactly the same 1020fps or there abouts. A 180 grain expanding bullet at over 1000fps is a powerful round in anybody's book.

Ron

kasper7106
11-01-2011, 20:18
I have never had a problem with any of my glocks feeding the PDX1's but if you were to switch to Gold dots or HST's I would say go with the Gold Dot's, not that I think their better but it seems they are easier to find,

Is 75 rounds all you have ran through your 23? I myself have never really had a break in issue with glocks but maybe yours need to be broke in. I would try running 300 to 400 rounds of FMJ's then try the Winchester's

voyager4520
11-02-2011, 06:09
PDX1 cycles fine through my G23 and G27. It's likely either your magazines or your extractor. The newest .40 magazines have plastic protrusions at the front of the feed lips that can rub against the top round as it rises, slowing its rise and causing a failure to feed. I had this problem with a brand new G23 magazine while all of my other magazines worked fine, I shaved down those protrusions and it works flawlessly now. The newest extractors can also be oversized so the extractor doesn't move freely enough, which would also cause failure to feed. If the problem is the magazines, you should experience it with particular magazines and not others. If it's the extractor it should happen no matter what magazine you use.

But if you're looking for something that's loaded hotter, Speer Gold Dot is about as hot as it gets in .40.

Roering
11-02-2011, 15:40
But if you're looking for something that's loaded hotter, Speer Gold Dot is about as hot as it gets in .40.

+1

My defense round of choice are gold dots.

fredj338
11-02-2011, 18:09
Personnaly, if it hasn't failed yet, it's not likely. I think the 200rd thing is so random, but if it makes you feel good, by all means. If the gun is in good working order, one full mag of each carry mag works for me. For revolvers, two cyls full & I am good to go.
FWIW, Gen4 or not, limp wristing is a commonissue w/ all Glocks in heavier calibers. I see it often in G23 even w/ ball ammo.

PghJim
11-06-2011, 01:17
I really do not worry much about the 200 round issue. I put three magazine through it and I am good to go. I always wonder what you do when you get a FTF or FTRTB on round number 197. I have seen some difficulties with the 165 gr. PDX-1 expanding through any clothes. I love 155gr HST, 165 gr Win. Ranger T's and 155 Speer GD. They all feed fine.